CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

No, it’s bad. Let’s not try to defend this bad gross in China. 

Pixar films always bomb in China, Coco was the only exception. So this debut  - for Pixar in China - was to be expected.

• Like 2

Just waiting for the international numbers for DP2 so it can go over 700.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $304,150,321    43.6%
Foreign:  $393,508,619    56.4%

Worldwide:  $697,658,940  
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

No, it’s bad. Let’s not try to defend this bad gross in China. 

Well what number would be good? China is a market that does not like animated films. Looks like it will be Pixar's biggest film after Coco.

• Like 1

One benefit that I2 will have compared to the last few Pixar movies is that there won’t be an Illumination behemoth coming in July to take away its audience. HT3 should be a decent performer, and probably TTG to a lesser extent, but I don’t think that $600m is off the table yet.

With JW outperforming what hype/presages indicates, it almost begs the question of how the demographics of this film differ. In terms of appeal (and quality...) it’s pretty comparable to the Transformers movie in that it may compensate its relative lack of online appeal with more in rural/south communities and older audiences, but I could be way off base here.

6 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I2 had a big drop because the OW was boosted by 14 years of pentup demand (the OW had an extra $18M in Thursday #s alone) and it had to contend with a $150M opening with family appeal. The drop is perfectly normal. 

A 182mil opener dropping 56% in it's second weekend. Something like BvS and Suicide Squad WISH that they had drops that "bad." And those films didn't face a 150mil opener. They faced nothing. As I've said before,  the film will recover.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Predictions for next weekend:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: 67M

Incredibles 2: 48.5M

Sicario: Day of the Soldado: 16M

Uncle Drew: 13M

Ocean's 8: 8.2M

Tag: 5.3M

Won't You Be My Neighbor?: 3.5M

Deadpool 2: 3.4M
Hereditary: 2.5M
Solo: A Star Wars Story: 2M

Hereditary is bound to overtake Solo next week. Shit, it's going to happen tomorrow.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? can probably hit 7th if it quadruples the TC again

That’s a great international weekend and total for Oceans 8. Big start here in the U.K. despite the hot weather.

Jurassic Worlds holdover markets (week 3, not including China or the 3 big openings) drops under 40% by the look of things. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

If we started backing Previews out of the equation the 2nd weekend drops wouldn't look quite so bad and by nature then the 3rd weekend "stabilization" wouldn't look as good.

But thats not going to happen.

Those of us that said I2 wouldn't sniff 90/100m and that JW was being under predicted feel pretty vindicated this weekend.... (makes up for Solo that is for sure.)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: 67M

Incredibles 2: 48.5M

Sicario: Day of the Soldado: 16M

Uncle Drew: 13M

Ocean's 8: 8.2M

Tag: 5.3M

Won't You Be My Neighbor?: 3.5M

Deadpool 2: 3.4M
Hereditary: 2.5M
Solo: A Star Wars Story: 2M

Hereditary is bound to overtake Solo next week. Shit, it's going to happen tomorrow.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? can probably hit 7th if it quadruples the TC again

Didn't that happen today?

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Kind of disappointed by some of JW Europe grosses. Weather and World Cup taking a toll

i guess 

And the exchange rate - on top of attendance being down.

That is the one thing that needs to be kept in consideration for both IW and JW - the exchange rate difference is small but big enough to make a difference.

IW would have added 250m OS with the same ER if I looked at them right (obviously an approximation.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a great international weekend and total for Oceans 8. Big start here in the U.K. despite the hot weather.

Jurassic Worlds holdover markets (week 3, not including China or the 3 big openings) drops under 40% by the look of things. 

Big start? $6M over 7 day opening is not big.