CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

The Avatar 2 meme that it wont ever be released is too funny to die for me.

On a side note im probably one of 20 people on this planet that still hasnt seen the first one lol.

if Cameron delay Avatar 2 "again" i will freak out, i've been waiting for this movie since 2009 and my patience is definitely gone

but i trust it will actually coming out in 2020, because the principal photography is almost done from what i read...

Been busy for most of the weekend, but had to post this in response to what went down:

cLBVT4r.png

The Jurassic Park franchise really is the King of the Walkups until proven otherwise.

(Yes, I know the Latin is terrible.  Sue me. :lol:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Community Manager
Just now, Porthos said:

Been busy for most of the weekend, but had to post this in response to what went down:

cLBVT4r.png

(Yes, I know the Latin is terrible.  Sue me :lol:)

Okay. I have asked @4815162342 to draw up the papers to sue you in the great state of Oregon. Why Oregon? Why not Oregon!

I'm not going into spoilers but I have to say that I cried my eyes out during one particular scene of "Fallen Kingdom", I'm not even ashamed because I looked around the theater and everyone was getting emotional too, lol. I'm glad to see that the movie is doing well, it wasn't perfect but it had the feeling that Jurassic World was missing.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, spectroul said:

I'm not going into spoilers but I have to say that I cried my eyes out during one particular scene of "Fallen Kingdom", I'm not even ashamed because I looked around the theater and everyone was getting emotional too, lol. I'm glad to see that the movie is doing well, it wasn't perfect but it had the feeling that Jurassic World was missing.

Everyone who saw the movie knows which scene you mean. And you dont have to be ashamed, for me it was the saddest movie scene since the whole of War for the Planet of the Apes lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Moviefanatic said:

I’m still surprised how poorly War for the planet of the apes performed. 

Its a magnificient movie, but its underperformance didnt surprise me tbh. The trailers made it look like Dawn all over again, the film didnt really have a clear hook. And then it wasnt even the film that was marketed to the GA, but a Schindlers List-like War drama, which was perfect for me but surely many people thought it was too dark, depressing and sad, which isnt good at all for legs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

Did you see the movie? In some ways it's a miracle it did as well as it did. Probably the least mainstream mainstream movie of the decade. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its a magnificient movie, but its underperformance didnt surprise me tbh. The trailers made it look like Dawn all over again, the film didnt really have a clear hook. And then it wasnt even the film that was marketed to the GA, but a Schindlers List-like War drama, which was perfect for me but surely many people thought it was too dark, depressing and sad, which isnt good at all for legs.

Hmm yea that’s true. It is an extremely dark movie 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spectroul said:

That was a stunning scene and one even haters are not likely to forget soon.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Everyone who saw the movie knows which scene you mean. And you dont have to be ashamed, for me it was the saddest movie scene since the whole of War for the Planet of the Apes lol.

I wasn't ashamed, Jurassic Park is my favorite movie ever so that scene really got me, I just said that bc some people might think "why did you cried in a dinosaur movie", lol. But I think everyone who has some kind of love for this franchise will get emotional watching it, it was really symbolic.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

It's such a beautiful movie tho, I really liked how they closed the trilogy. I think the lack of action let some people underwhelmed especially because they had the word "war" in the title so people were prob expecting something bigger in terms of scale.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spectroul said:

It's such a beautiful movie tho, I really liked how they closed the trilogy. I think the lack of action let some people underwhelmed especially because they had the word "war" in the title so people were prob expecting something bigger in terms of scale.  

I didn’t like the film but I actually agree with you on your main point, there was no war in a movie called “WAR for the planet of the apes”.

The whole movie felt like a fart in the wind to me and a very poor ending to the trilogy so poor that I didn’t even care for its “sad” ending, if it was even sad cause I never felt that attached to the apes.

Not a big fan of the whole apes concept anyway though I found dawn surprisingly good....

57 minutes ago, spectroul said:

52 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yep.  I was wiping away the tears too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Only once before (so now twice, including this weekend), with the original Jurassic World's second weekend and Inside Out's opening:

June 19-21, 2016

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

If we lower the bar to two films over $70M on the same weekend, it is still only those two weekends (Jurassic World/Inside Out and now Jurassic World 2/Incredibles 2).

There are four other times in history when two films have made over $60M each on the same weekend, and another five times in history when two films have made over $50M each on the same weekend. That's it.

60M+

June 21-23, 2013

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

June 27-29, 2008

• Wall-E — 63.1M
  • Wanted — 50.9M

June 8-10, 2012

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 26-28, 2015

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

Peace,

Mike

Thanks for this.   Appreciate it.  Also, it looks like only three times the two movies have been in direct competition.  The two Jurassic Worlds with two Pixar films and then a Pirates sequel with a Shrek sequel.  Hunger Games and Frozen probably too but not as much. 

• Like 1