CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

6 hours ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

The following is a miniature grammar rant

...if you have to use the syllables to give an acronym, you might as well just write the word out. God damn people write in acronyms way too much now. Always assuming everyone will know what they mean. IT TAKES LIKE TWO EXTRA SECONDS TO WRITE SHIT OUT. This and the increase in comma splices make me want to strangle people in charge of educating english speakers. I dont even consider myself uptight about grammar. I just think people make it needlessly difficult to understand what they're writing.

It's not that deep.

Just now, mathemetrics said:

Jurassic World got the opening weekend record and managed to triple its OW in the long run.  The new one can still get the same legs and work its way to the 500m expectation, 

A 3.1multi seems far fetched.

• Like 1

Current multipliers for recent films:

Infinity War: 2.59

Overboard: 3.33

Tully: 2.81

Life of the Party: 2.91

Breaking In: 2.58

Deadpool 2: 2.39

Book Club: 4.71

Show Dogs: 2.86

Solo: 2.36

Adrift: 2.46

Upgrade: 2.44

Ocean's 8: 2.22

Hereditary: 2.38

The Incredibles 2: 1.61

Tag: 1.65

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mathemetrics said:

Jurassic World got the opening weekend record and managed to triple its OW in the long run.  The new one can still get the same legs and work its way to the 500m expectation, 

Not many direct sequels get a 3x.

I meant that a 3.5 multi off of a 145mil opening seems far fetched for a sequel to a film that had around a 3.1 multi. I'd comfortably say that it's an impossible feat. I could see a 2.8 easily but not much more than that.

$79 million doesn't seem all that good for I2 but it's going to be fine after that. The $580-$600 million domestic is looking more like $530-$550 million. Still WAY more than anyone expected following Solo which has done WAY less than expected.

And JWFK is going to do right smack in the middle. Didn't get burned all that much despite low RT scores and competition.

Makes me wonder with Avengers4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Spiderman HC2, and Lion King all coming out 2-3 weeks of each other (not to mention SLOP2), who will take a hit next summer because that's too heavy of a rotation to maintain.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aabattery said:

MI6 as Tom Cruise's first 100m OW.

Don't @ me with logical and well-based reasoning for why this won't happen, I'm here for the gravy train.

Film's gonna reload repeat viewings like Henry Cavill reloads his arms

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sfran43 said:

I'm so puzzled by the BP weekend estimate?!:winomg:

lol at that extra zero when it's supposed to be $80k.

Also, what's with that 30% Fri drop for Book Club?

The optimistic case is like 150*2.8 for 420. If it is able to leg out like that I’ll move my evaluation from “medium, solid, totally respectable performance” to “upper end of medium.”

Edited by Thanos Legion

Aladdin and Toy Story 4 will under perform because one is a Guy Richie movie in the Memorial Day death slot and the other is a pointless sequel to a story that already wrapped up. Avengers will do great but of course not as well as part one and I'm undecided on Spidey's fate. The Lion King will do over 700mil domestic at least.  SLOP will have have a decent sized drop from it's predecessor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I actually think Fallout could go as high as 85-90 if reviews come in hot. 100 is just a touch too far though. 

But a Henry Cavill fangirl such as myself dreams of 100mil. It's not going to go that high though. I'd be happy with 65mil and decent legs honestly.