baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Looks like Variety was also smoking whatever THR was coz they too though Solo would do between 50-60m. 

They also think Deadpool will drop only 31-42% this weekend and make between 25-30. 

https://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/solo-star-wars-story-box-office-preview-deadpool-2-action-point-1202825361/

PS: they’re now saying 35-45 for Solo in a new article

Disney is sending those checks at the wrong time.

These preview numbers are boring but were expected. Adrift should do fine. Maybe in the mid to high teens which is actually not bad for it.

Im surprised there aren’t any results for Upgrade, and Action Point. Two movies that I’m actually interested in seeing this weekend. But... they’re probably not off to good starts themselves either.

Mountain Between Us grossed 400k

Heart of the Sea grossed 575k

Finest Hours grossed 375k

As people already mentioned earlier, Adrift may still be slightly more front loaded given colleges are out by now etc. But given this data it could go anywhere from 13.9 to 19.9, with 15-17 seeming most likely. 

If it hits something like 6M-6.3M for Friday, we could be looking at the higher end of the range, as it would be following Finest Hours/Mountain. If it follows Heart of the Sea, Friday would be about 4.85M, leading to the low end of the range. I'd say this is going to land at around 5.25, maybe 5.5, or just somewhere in the middle of the range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Looks like Variety was also smoking whatever THR was coz they too though Solo would do between 50-60m. 

They also think Deadpool will drop only 31-42% this weekend and make between 25-30. 

https://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/solo-star-wars-story-box-office-preview-deadpool-2-action-point-1202825361/

:hahaha:

Guess Fox is getting in on that PR spin too. Or does Disney think it's acquired Fox already :thinking:

Edited by Nova
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

And different writers.  McNary did the second article and it's his usual beat.

I think the $35m is actually doable. I had it doing low 30s.

DP2 doing $25-30m seems more out of range. :P

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lololololololololololololol

So strange. It seems even its fans like it for being a colorful indulgent mess what's the point of sticking it into the heart of awards season? 

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

These preview numbers are boring but were expected. Adrift should do fine. Maybe in the mid to high teens which is actually not bad for it.

Im surprised there aren’t any results for Upgrade, and Action Point. Two movies that I’m actually interested in seeing this weekend. But... they’re probably not off to good starts themselves either.

Poor Johnny Knoxville, dude had his freaking eye pop out of his head for this movie. And for what, a spot in Mojo's ''Worst Wide Openings'' list. Top 100 for 2000 locations wouldn't surprise me. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

I don't get it.  Don't these guys look up previous post MD weekends?  I mean, boxofficemojo.com is really well known.  Fucking dummies.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Poor Johnny Knoxville, dude had his freaking eye pop out of his head for this movie. And for what, a spot in Mojo's ''Worst Wide Openings'' list. Top 100 for 2000 locations wouldn't surprise me. 

Tbf it looks terrible. And that whole eye thing sounds like his fault

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I don't get it.  Don't these guys look up previous post MD weekends?  I mean, boxofficemojo.com is really well known.  Fucking dummies.

To be completely honest, before I joined these Forums for about six months I would come here for box office speculation and forecasts, because most people on this site were way more accurate than most of the trades. 

• Like 6

I'm more interested in this weekend than I have been in a while.  We'll see how IW and DP2 can hold on. See if Solo can salvage anything. See if Book Club is gonna make a long run. And three new openers which could all surprise one way or the other.

• Like 3

Whoever is predicting a 60 million weekend for Solo, will have a rough wake-up call very soon. That prediction is obvious trolling or perhaps another laughable attempt to hide the fact that Solo is a flop. 

Maybe they're expecting people to come to see the movie again and pretend that today is the real release date? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Whoever is predicting a 60 million weekend for Solo, will have a rough wake-up call very soon. That prediction is obvious trolling or perhaps another laughable attempt to hide the fact that Solo is a flop. 

Or more than likely just don't know what they're talking.

• Like 2

Adrift is looking increasingly strong on Fandango:

Updated by @akvalley: 2018-06-01 10:59:00 Central (Lock time Fridays 11:00:00)
BUY TIME	TICKETS	MOVIE TITLE
--------------------------------------------------
2018-06-01 10:00:00	845	Solo A Star Wars Story
2018-06-01 10:00:00	598	Deadpool 2
2018-06-01 10:00:00	436	Adrift (2018)
2018-06-01 10:00:00	286	Avengers Infinity War
2018-06-01 10:00:00	265	Book Club

• Like 3