baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think people underestimate that. I also think that if Solo had sounded and looked appealing then it would be doing better. I think that Solo itself is overall killing Solo. It was a bad project to green light. Period. I think the Last Jedi's mixed reception has the potential to hurt it's actual sequel though. Solo ain't that.

That wasn't what I meant. I don't think Solo's bombing is either good or bad news for I2 or JW.

This weekend is even worse than I expected. Solo and Deadpool are the only interesting movies. And Solo bombed hard... :insane:

so im guessing that there will not be any big new releases until Incredibles 2.

38 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I’m on the ignore list yet you replied to my post - which wasn’t even directed at you. Doesn’t make any sense why you would even see the post if I was on ignore. Not that it matters anyways since I don’t value your opinion so by all means keep “ignoring”.  As for your 500M China prediction, its very real (as real as JW2 future terrible OW) -  I’m glad to dig it up for you since it seems to have slipped your mind:

toodles 

DapperRaggedBluebottlejellyfish-size_res

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Here is that post again for those who missed that thread. We all make bad predictions from time to time, but it was hilarious how far off this one was. $380 million WW prediction versus $1.672 billion WW actual.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

From the first page. Quite the read, that thread. :lol:

Yeah, that prediction was mine. I have to admit I never saw that coming. :D But as I pointed to people who have brought this up before, no one made a prediction in that thread that was more than 70% accurate. So, in reality, no one predicted its success and making fun of the worst predictions is just an attempt to ignore the fact that no one made a decent prediction anyway...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

This weekend is even worse than I expected. Solo and Deadpool are the only interesting movies. And Solo bombed hard... :insane:

so im guessing that there will not be any big new releases until Incredibles 2.

There's Ocean's 8 next week. Should be good for 35-40mil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

It's incredible how big of a bomb Solo is.

It's not even that bad of a movie. How did Disney manage to destroy the faith of the fandom that would eat up SW Rebels?

Timing is the only issue. I had seen IW and DP2 and there was no money/time left for Solo. I honestly would have seen it in cinemas 100% if it was released during Christmas.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Many kids that saw the first one are now teens ;)

Jurassic Park would actually alienate many of its fans when it would go in a more kid-friendly direction i believe. Many people (including me) are dying to see a JP movie that does go more in a horror direction - just like the first movie and the novels the franchise is based on. I think all will be fine :)

I think people have no idea what children like or can handle/understand. Everyone always thinks kids=stupid, and they are, but not in that they can't understand or appreciate things. They just make stupid decisions. I remember as a kid the velociraptors scared the fuck out of me but I loved those movies. Hell, doctor who lives to this day on the good will of fans who's fondest memories of the show are cowering behind their couches as kids. That's literally an image often referenced by the fans. 

Dory had a small amazing 46% drop in the 2nd weekend despite summer weekdays. It over-performed even for summer on Mon-Thu with holds being -43.5%, +18%, -22%, -3.7%. If I2 has a similar run then JW2 ow could be facing a 70-75 weekend. I not like it.

Edited by A2k Rex
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

I think people have no idea what children like or can handle/understand. Everyone always thinks kids=stupid, and they are, but not in that they can't understand or appreciate things. They just make stupid decisions. I remember as a kid the velociraptors scared the fuck out of me but I loved those movies. Hell, doctor who lives to this day on the good will of fans who's fondest memories of the show are cowering behind their couches as kids. That's literally an image often referenced by the fans. 

It's not necessarily about kids, it's about what their parents are willing to take them to.

1 minute ago, Premium George said:

I am currently entertaining myself by comparing solo with the greatest showman. A $9m ow vs $84m ow.

tgs ww is sohigh at 432. 

solo probably targeting 220 dom + 170 os = 390 ww. that would be 5 odd below prince of persia.

• Astonished 2

16 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

Dory had a small amazing 46% drop in the 2nd weekend despite summer weekdays. It over-performed even for summer on Mon-Thu with holds being -43.5%, +18%, -22%, -3.7%. If I2 has a similar run then JW2 ow could be facing a 70-75 weekend. I not like it.

This will be the first time two movies open back-to-back over 100 million since May 2007 (or the same month period). It will be interesting to see how JW2 does coming off of a movie opening in the range of 150M. We've seen Jurassic World and a Pixar movie play nice with each other before though, so maybe they can coexist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

This will be the first time two movies open back-to-back over 100 million since May 2007 (or the same month period). It will be interesting to see how JW2 does coming off of a movie opening in the range of 150M. We've seen Jurassic World and a Pixar movie play nice with each other before though, so maybe they can coexist.

That's great trivia. In era of such big bo did not realize it would be a rare event. JW ow and IO ow almost pulled it off. Yes they can coexist. Beating IO's wom won't be easy for I2 while I think matching JW's wom is a possibility for FK.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

tgs ww is sohigh at 432. 

solo probably targeting 220 dom + 170 os = 390 ww. that would be 5 odd below prince of persia.

With current second weekend projections, Solo is not reaching 200M DOM.