Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

That's impressive JamesCameroncholar.....every single movie?  Wow.  I have seen too many movies to make notes on every single one of them.  But amazing that you have done that.

I'm moving this to the main forum.  I realize @4815162342 has the video game list going on, but that is still being tabulated.  I think it's okay to have to pinned threads at once.  

@Water Bottle I'm assuming this is okay with you?  If not please let me know....but it looks like the Video game stuff is still being processed.....and there should be room for two threads.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

That's impressive JamesCameroncholar.....every single movie?  Wow.  I have seen too many movies to make notes on every single one of them.  But amazing that you have done that.

Impressive or very boring depending on who you ask, my partner of 15 years finds it annoying and attempted to throw out my notebooks last year, I nearly had a heart attack. I've been keeping track in one format or another for over 20 years and try to average a movie a day. A movie a day and a book a week - that's my life goal. It's why I hope that when I do kick the bucket it's in the evening so that I don't miss out! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

43 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

My guess for #1 is going to go to The Blair Witch Project. One of the few horror movies to really stick with me. 

On a different note, and I read through your opening post Brainbug, but do you have a list of all the horror movies you've ever watched? For me, that was the one thing that was lacking from Dax's list. 

Oh well, thats impossible :D i have a rather good memory for movies in particular but its too late now to start such a list.

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Brainbug...I'm on vacation this week and I'm camping kind of in a remote area without wifi so I won't be commenting much this week.  I'll look in from time to time using my phone of course, but I won't be in here as much as I normally would.  

Look out for Jason and have fun on vacation^^

27 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Aha! I guess I'm one of the original nerds that makes meticulous notes of all the movies he watches. 

Crystal Lake? ;)

:ohmygod:

21 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Impressive or very boring depending on who you ask, my partner of 15 years finds it annoying and attempted to throw out my notebooks last year, I nearly had a heart attack. I've been keeping track in one format or another for over 20 years and try to average a movie a day. A movie a day and a book a week - that's my life goal. It's why I hope that when I do kick the bucket it's in the evening so that I don't miss out! 

:ohmygod:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's never too late to start! 

I mean i have a definitive track record of all the movies ive watched since 2013, so thats something i guess. But ive surely seen lots of films in the past that ive forgotten about so the list woudnt feel completely right.

Anyway, beginning my next write-up!

• Thanks 1

Number 45:

Teaser_poster_for_2017_film_Get_Out.png

Get Out (2017)

Director: Jordan Peele

Box Office: 255,2 Million WW

Story: 8/10

Tension: 6/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 7/10

Plot synopsis:

Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), an african-american guy, visits the family of his white girlfriend Rose Armitage. I dont think i need to write more. Youve all seen this movie i think.

Now, let me start of with one thing: I dont think this is a masterpiece by any means. A horror comedy at its core, its biggest strength arent its scary moments of which there arent that many. In fact, whenever Get Out tries to directly scare its audience i actually think it kinda fails. Thats because the focus of the movie - and rightfully so - is on its themes of racism, prejudice and the social commentary in general. The scares themselves are not that important, its the tone of the film that makes us uncomfortable. Thats were the film shines and thats why its so entertaining. Peele might not be able to craft genuinely scary scenes, but nearly all the other aspects of Get Out's filmmaking are great (minus the lighting, but i can forgive that) and all the actors give terrific performances, Kaluuya in particular. The atmosphere of unease and awkwardness is present from Scene one and the excellent soundtrack only helps in many moments. And while the movie is very predictable, it still manages to give us a triumphant catharsis in the 3rd act, which is nevertheless the "weakest" part of the movie because the built-up before and the atmosphere it created were so damn good. 

Fun Facts: The film was nominated for 4 Oscars at this years Academy Awards and won for Best Original Screenplay. It was also extremely profitable because the budget was very low (4.5M)

As always, a soundtrack piece:

• Like 10

2 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm moving this to the main forum.  I realize @4815162342 has the video game list going on, but that is still being tabulated.  I think it's okay to have to pinned threads at once.  

@Water Bottle I'm assuming this is okay with you?  If not please let me know....but it looks like the Video game stuff is still being processed.....and there should be room for two threads.  

Oh yeah it'll be a few days before I finish tabulations due to work and all.

• Like 2

Number 44:

1gDV0Lm9y8ufIKzyf0h0GBgb9Zj.jpg

Evil Dead (2013)

Director: Fede Álvarez

Box Office: 97,5 Million WW

Story: 4/10

Tension: 7/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 8/10

Plot synopsis:

Five friends head to a remote cabin in the woods to help Mia (Jane Levy) overcome her addiction to heroin. While they struggle with that, they discover a certain Book named Necronomicon ex mortis and soon after something begins to happen which should no one surprise who knows the original film...

I expected to hate this movie since horror remakes suck most of the time. Add to that the legendary status that has the original film and well...this remake and Álvarez had a lot going against them. But they managed to surprise me big time. Evil Dead is a love letter to the fans of this franchise and especially the first film. While the sequels to "The Evil Dead" became comedys along the way, this film isnt, oh boy, it isnt. Its one of the bloodiest and most gruesome movies i ever watched and i enjoyed nearly every minute of it.

So why does it work? First of all, beeing 32 years younger than the original, it obviously looks and sounds much better. The camera work here is outstanding, as are the effects and the soundtrack. The actors serve their purpose and the reason why they are going to the cabin in the first place is much more logical than in the original. Still, their performances could have been better, the line delivery and the script in general arent anything worth celebrating - with one exception: Jane Levy is awesome and a goddess and elevates the movie in many, many ways. The finale of Evil Dead is also one of my favourites of any horror movie of the 21st century.

So is it better than the original? Is that even a question that needs an answer? It exists and im glad it does. It honors the first film while beeing able to stand on its own. Like all Remakes should be.

I dont recommend this movie for anyone who cant see blood obviously. One needs a strong stomach for this one.

Some even calmer music:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

Fuck yes, this movie was very good indeed. I really wanna see more of Mia and hope we get a sequel one day (although my dream is a Mia and Ash teamup but obviously that's never gonna happen).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

My guess for #1 is going to go to The Blair Witch Project. One of the few horror movies to really stick with me. 

On a different note, and I read through your opening post Brainbug, but do you have a list of all the horror movies you've ever watched? For me, that was the one thing that was lacking from Dax's list. 

I'm actually working on this. I'm not sure how much time it will take but I think eventually I'm gonna have a full list of the movies I've seen, including martial arts movies.

When I watch a new movie these days I always take notes and stuff.

Never too late to start, but keep in mind it's gonna take probably years before the list is complete. And you will forget some childhood movies.

• Haha 1

Number 43:

Rec_poster.jpg

REC (2007)

Director: Jaume Balagueró

Box Office: 32,5 Million WW

Story: 6/10

Tension: 8/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 6/10

Plot synopsis:

A reporter (Manuela Velasco) and her cameraman are covering a firefighter intervention in an apartment building in Barcelona; as the situation escalates after some of the building's occupants show animalistic and murderous behavior, they find themselves confined inside the perilous building.

Found Footage annoys me most of the time, because i never felt with any of these movies that this style of filmmaking was in any way making the films better or scarier. In most cases it just looks awful and is headache-inducing, so i had 0 expectations for any film in this subgenre to (positively) surprise me. Well, i was wrong. Atleast in this case (and maybe another).

REC is terrifying. Why? Because it feels just so real. One of the most annoying aspects of Found-Footage films is that the person holding the camera/phone often continues to do so even when a friend gets ripped apart 2 meters in front of him. The logic gets thrown out of the window in so many of these movies. This is not the case here at all: Not only is the man holding the camera an actual cameraman, it always makes sense that he would continue to film the events unfolding and when its logical that he would put the camera down, he actually puts it down. It was so refreshing for me to witness that, which is both hilarious and sad.

REC's strongest aspect is the constant state of agony that the characters have to witness. Things could go really wrong in any second of the movie and because many of these people are quite sympathetic and very realistic (they dont do stupid things!), we really feel for them. We dont want them to die. Which elevates the scares and deaths that follow so much more.

The movie was remade in the US under the title Quarantine (2008). Dont bother watching that if you liked REC, the remake SUCKS, because it did all the wrong aspects of Found-Footage films again.

The movie doesnt have something worth in the soundtrack to post and the trailer is kinda spoilery, so ill leave it at that.

• Like 4

Oh yeah, I liked this one quite a bit. Probably in the top 5 best found footage movies ever made, not that that's a difficult list to join. It's effective and uses the format very well in a way that justifies itself, something most found footage movies fails spectacularly at.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1