Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

I think this photo puts to bed who actually directed Poltergeist- Spielberg or the guy holding the Coke?

PSfb7GT.jpg

That's Steven's Coke btw. ;)

Spielberg: "You're doing a great job, Tobe."  *grabs Coke*

Edited by L Silverman
  • Haha 4

Number 40:

19289803.jpg

Planet Terror (2007)

Director: Robert Rodriguez

Box Office: 10,9 Million

Story: 4/10

Tension: 7/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 9/10

Plot Synopsis:

Not much Plot to be found here. A group of people (including the main character Cherry Darling, played by Rose McGowan) tries to survive a zombie apocalypse while feuding with a military unite, commanded by no one other than Bruce Willis.

Well, yeah. What can i say? Planet Terror is of course part of the Grindhouse Double Feature, alongside Quentin Tarantinos Death Proof. Imo, this here is the better of the two, purely because of the PLOT. All joking aside though, this right here is tremendous trashy entertainment. The cast is filled with big names, you can find Michael Biehn, Josh Brolin or Marley Shelton here and all were given horrendous dialogue. They all have a blast doing this and you see it.

What makes this so entertaining apart from the cast? The action insanity together with the hilarious one-liners and the soundtrack. The effects are quite bad, but this is Grindhouse so good effects would have disappointed me greatly. The posters lie a bit about the machine gun leg of the main character, thats something that comes very late in the movie but my god the wait is worth it. Rodriguez throws everything on the screen that is humanly possible with this setting. And when you have brutal violence, beautiful girls, giant weapons and hilarious dialogue what can stop you from having a blast? I dont know, i always have one, when i'm watching this shit, especially with a group of friends and a little bit of alcohol. The movie is stupid in every way, but it knows it.

Ironically and sadly, the behind-the-scenes drama of this movie is now more actual then ever: Harvey Weinstein (yeah, that one) did not want Rose McGowan to be cast in the film, after he allegedly sexually assaulted her years earlier and then blacklisted her from being in any Miramax-related movies. Robert Rodriguez was dating McGowan and cast her knowing that it would enrage Weinstein, though Rodriguez later stated that Weinstein deliberately slashed the ad budget for the film in a (successful) effort to hurt it at the box office. In short: Fuck Weinstein.

Fun Fact: Tarantino playes the role of a rapist in the movie - and is credited with "Rapist Number One"

If you like the opening of the movie you will like the rest of it:

• Like 5

Thats it for today, tomorrow will see at least the entrys on Number 39-35.

And the first that will come tomorrow is already our first Number 1 guess :Venom:

• ...wtf 1

If it's still allowed, I'll throw out a guess for #1...and I'll pick a different one since folks actually did post 2 of my guesses...

Since I saw Scream 4 make your list, I'm gonna go with the 1st Scream for your #1...it was so different for its era - the comedy yet still total horror concept which has been borrowed over and over since its release...and I admit to being floored by the movie when I 1st saw it, so maybe you were, too:)...

• Like 2

Number 39:

Blair_Witch_Project.jpg

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Director: Daniel Myrick

Box Office: 248,6 Million (on a 60.000$ budget!)

Story: 7/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 6/10

Plot Synopsis:

Three Students hike in the Black Hills near Burkittsville, Maryland in 1994 to film a documentary about a local legend known as the Blair Witch. As you could expect, things dont go all that well...

Now, i can hear you all screaming "What? The Blair Witch Project only Number 39? Barely above Planet Terror? Lol!", but let me defend myself :lol:: This film came out in 1999, when a very young Brainbug didnt even knew that something like movies exist. I saw the film years later (i think in 2009 or 2010), when the wave of Found-Footage horror films was maybe at its strongest, so a lot of the impact that the film had when it first came out just wasnt there for me at all. Like with all older films in general, i try to look at them with an open mind; i recognize their influence and status, but i rate them purely by how much i personally enjoy them. And like ive said with REC, i really dislike this subgenre of horror - except REC and this one.

The Blair Witch Project just works. It uses the Found-Footage-style completely in the right way: So that it makes sense and adds to the tension. Our three protagonists want to film a documentary, so not only makes it sense that they would film everything, it makes the film really feel real and realistic. Without knowing that this is fake and a movie, one could easily mistaken it for a real documentary - something so many other Found-Footage films tried to achieve, but just failed. Our 3 protagonists here are sympathetic, they speak and behave like actual human beeings and they all give terrific performances - i didnt see the actors in the film but the characters. Which is always a great sign for any movie.

Whats holding me back of rating this film higher is ironically its greatest strenght: Again the filmmaking style. Found-Footage is something i could never love, this and REC i just really like. But there are many other horror films that for me were a lot more effective than this one.

What is astounding about this movie is its box office and the profits it must have generated: Even unadjusted it grossed 140M in the US and a further 108M OS - adjusted, that ballons to 253M DOM, a mind-blowing number for a horror movie.

The marketing campaign behind it was also very interesting: It was probably the first widely released film marketed primarily in the Internet. It had an official website that featured false police reports and interviews; many people who saw the film afterwards thought that the events depicted in the movie were actually real, which only spread the WOM about The Blair Witch Project even more.

There are countless trailers for it, some are fanmade, some are official, i post this one because its spoiler-free:

@JamesCameronScholar good guess, but i hope you can understand why i cant rate the movie higher :ph34r:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

@JamesCameronScholar good guess, but i hope you can understand why i cant rate the movie higher :ph34r:

I accept your explanation, but I can't understand it! I was lucky enough to be one of the gullible idiots that got to actually believe it was real! 

I even recall watching a documentary about the so called 'missing persons' as part of the marketing campaign! 

Total masterpiece in terms of influence and execution to me. I'll say what I said on other lists though, at the end of the day it is your list and I can't complain about how you personally rate them! :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I accept your explanation, but I can't understand it! I was lucky enough to be one of the gullible idiots that got to actually believe it was real! 

I even recall watching a documentary about the so called 'missing persons' as part of the marketing campaign! 

Total masterpiece in terms of influence and execution to me. I'll say what I said on other lists though, at the end of the day it is your list and I can't complain about how you personally rate them! :)

I think if i was around to see it in 1999, it would be way higher on the list. As it stands, i think its very good and has hold up exceptionally well for a Found-Footage horror film, but i dont see it as a Masterpiece.

Number 38:

220px-Conjuring_2.jpg

The Conjuring 2 (2016)

Director: James Wan

Box Office: 320 Million WW

Story: 7/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 7/10

Plot Synopsis:

1977: Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson/Vera Farmiga), two paranormal investigaters, receive a call for help from England, where the Hodgson family seems to experience a poltergeist activity in their house in Enfield. Especially one of the daughters (Janet, played by Madison Wolfe) seems to be the target for the ghost or demon until one question is asked: Could it all be a hoax?

I really like the first Conjuring from 2013. It was a genuinely tension-filled scarfest and James Wan proved with it that the solid Insidious (2011) wasnt a fluke. But i do think the sequel here is better than the first one in almost every way. Its longer for its own good; It has even better cinematography than the first one and is  - especially for a horror film - beautifully filmed. It has a great cast and all around very good performances, especially from Farmiga and Madison Wolfe, who gives one of the best child performances in a horror film that i have seen so far this decade. And when the movie wants to get scary, it does so in a very effective manner: Like all of James Wan's horror films, he only uses jumpscares when they are logical: When you hear a loud noise, its always because there really is something - and its not just a cat or a friend or something stupid like that. There were 2 or 3 moments in the film that kinda got me as well which not many horror films manage to do these days. The film does get a bit overdramatic in the finale and some of the CGI is...wonky, but the rest of it is so good that i can overlook that.

Its also England: The Film. Beginning with the soundtrack, the script, the locations - more England in a movie is rare to see.

The film was a huge success, just like all films from the Conjuring universe. A spin-off featuring a character from this movie releases this year, "The Nun".

Calmest soundtrack:

• Like 7

Now this is a favorite of mine, I love these movies and had the sequel as one of my most anticipated film of 2016, really damn happy it delivered. It's possibly my favorite horror sequel ever made, but I consider both of them equal albeit in slightly different ways.

Counting the days until we get that third one, although if it's not directed by James Wan I'll probably stop...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

For the next entry, we travel to East Asia.

Ogawd there's quite a lot there that comes to mind. A favorite of mine is Audition so I'll just throw that out.

• Like 1

Number 37:

91Ya-7-EnuL._SY445_.jpg

Gokseong - The Wailing (2016)

Director: Na Hong-jin

Box Office: 51,3 Milion (mainly in South Korea)

Story: 8/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 7/10

Plot Synopsis:

A little village, somewhere in South Korea: A policeman (Kwak Do-won) begins to investigate a strange and disturbing series of murders and illnesses, which seem to spread around the villagers. Some people think that an old Japanese man, who has come to the village recently, is responsible. And while they are rumors that a naked, human-like man-eater goes around, the young daughter of the police man might be affected by the illness too...

South Korean cinema is booming with great movies in the last decade and with every year, it seems to get better. 2016 for example saw The Handmaiden (my Number 1 favourite movie of that year overall), Train to Busan and this right here. The Wailing comes from director Na Hong-jin who, after ofc Park Chan-wook, is probably the most well-known korean director right now. The reasons for this are obvious: Like nearly all of his films, Gokseong looks phenomenal and would have deserved to be nominated in Best Cinematography at the Oscars. The camera moves are outstanding, as are the soundtrack, the tension building and the mystery aspect of the movie: Like the villagers and the police man, we might always think that we suspect the right person behind these murders, we might even think after 2 hours of runtime, that we finally have guessed everything right; And then, the film says "Surprise!" and when we watch it for a 2nd time, many many scenes feel a lot different than before. Its twisty, exciting and disturbing - and while the film at 156 minutes might seem to be overlong, it isnt at all - it feels like 90 minutes and a great 90 minutes at that. The Wailing is also a very emotional horror film and the third film on this list (besides The Orphanage and Rosemary's Baby) that i would classify as a horror drama.

The only drawback is maybe the acting in some scenes and the fact that you have to wach the film dubbed or with subtitles. I watched the german dub and it was rather good; i dont know about the english one though.

This trailer is the least bit spoilery, but i still would recommend going into the movie blind:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 5

Blair Witch Project is one of those movies you have to see in a theater to get the full effect.  Here's my Blair Witch Project Story- I saw this opening weekend in July of 1999.  At the Charles Theatre in downtown Baltimore.  The Charles was the only theater in the area playing this low-budget horror movie shot in Maryland that everyone was talking about.  The line to get tickets went several blocks down the street and around the corner.  Even longer than Phantom Menace.  (Yes, this was a time when you had to physically stand in a line to get advance tickets.)  I ended up seeing a Saturday afternoon showing, sold out of course.  You might not think this would be as scary as seeing a nighttime showing but in fact I think it was even scarier.  Going from a sunny bright July afternoon into a completely dark theater and into the total darkness of the woods at night depicted in the film.  It wasn't just watching a movie, it was a shared experience by everyone in that packed theater.  No one had seen anything like this before, it felt like we were watching a snuff film.  When the hands started slapping the outside of the tent, everyone in the theater started freaking out, it was awesome!

• Like 2

The next one isnt really a "horror" film so to say; the exact genre for it is difficult to pinpoint (most would go with psychological thriller i think), its a true mindfuck of a movie and one of two on this list that managed to make me feel real fear. And therefore i count it as horror.

Some good movies in the list so far @Brainbug. Although I was surprised to see the Evil Dead remake and not the original ones. 

I hope some of my favourite horror movies shows up in your list such as

1) Conjuring

2) The Witch

3) The omen

4) exorcism of emily rose

5) Paranormal activity 1

And others like Cujo, pet sematary, insidious, it follows, wrong turn, hills have eyes. 

Btw is it too late to guess the #1? If it is not then I would like to take a stab. 

Conjuring is my favourite horror movie so I would have said that one but lets go with The Omen. Although the witch is also very close in my favourites list

• Like 1