Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

Number 48:

220px-Scream4Poster.jpg

Scream 4 (2011)

Director: Wes Craven

Box Office: 97,1 Million Worldwide (way too low in other words)

Story: 6/10

Tension: 8/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 7/10

Plot synopsis:

Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) returns to Woodsboro after ten years as part of her book tour. Though this beeing a soft reboot, what the film is aware of, it shoundt be too much of a surprise for her that Ghostface returned to kill (mostly horny) students from Woodsboro High. And together with Dewey and Gale Weathers, the guessing and killing game begins again...

Scream 4 imo is the best Scream sequel, though i know that this is quite a polarizing opinion/film. Wes Craven (RIP!) returned to give us a 90s slasher film that came out in 2011, for all the better. Like its predecessors, this movie works as a horror film as well as its parody. It makes fun of remakes, (soft) reboots and the horror film industry in general, while presenting an engaging and thrilling slasher story. The killer here can be guessed a bit easier than in the films before, but that doesnt make the finale any less exciting or brutal (and damn is it bloody). The actor/actress of the killer (i dont want to spoil it) makes a far better job here than the Ghostface(s) of Scream 2 and 3 imo. The acting all around is excellent for horror film standards. Its just a hell of a good time and its a damn shame that the movie didnt do well at all at the box office. As a final feature movie from the legend that is Wes Craven, it coudnt be much better.

Clip from the Opening of the movie:

@Krissykins should like this i think. Also @baumer im interested in your thoughts about the Scream sequels :)

• Like 5

I liked Scream 4, it was a substantial improvement after Scream 3 which sucks my taint. I love this universe and these characters, the first two are the only ones however I consider to be great movies. With the fourth one sadly the biggest letdown for me was Wes Craven's direction, it's all very basic and it's clear he didn't have a lot of ideas he hadn't used before on display anymore. What I really enjoyed though is how you can't really tell if the movie is failing or if it's just mocking itself along the way. Is it intentionally terrible or not? Overall it's a good movie.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I absolutely love Scream 4. It did everything right and shocked me with how well it was written. 

I liked 2 but didn't care for 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I absolutely love Scream 4. It did everything right and shocked me with how well it was written. 

I liked 2 but didn't care for 3.

The writing really is where these movies shine... when they're written by Kevin Williamson and not Ehren Kruger.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

@NCsoft @Fancyarcher i know you liked this one too ;)

Lol! Great idea for a list. The Orphanage is one of my favorite horror films of recent years. It's not exactly "super scary", but it is wonderfully atmospheric, and I really like that about it. It's so damn good. 

• Like 2

I think after brainbug is done his, I'll take a crack at it as well. It will be interesting to see the differing opinions.

• Like 3

Number 47:

220px-Silent_Hill_film_poster.jpg

Silent Hill (2006)

Director: Christophe Gans

Box Office: 97,6 Million Worldwide

Story: 4/10

Tension: 6/10

Atmosphere: 9/10

Rewatchability: 6/10

Plot synopsis:

Rose (Radha Mitchell), really not the best mother in the world, takes her adopted daughter Sharon to the town of Silent Hill, for which Sharon cries while sleepwalking. Arriving at Silent Hill, Rose is involved in a car accident and awakens to find Sharon missing; while searching for her daughter, she fights a local cult while uncovering Sharon's connection to the town's past.

Now i know this film has many many flaws and i think most people would say its a bad movie. The script isnt really the best, the film is overlong and some of the actors (especially the child actress) are...lets say they tried their best. And its also a videogame adaption so it cant be good right? Well imo it can. This is actually in my eyes the best videogame movie to this date.

The reason is purely the atmosphere. The film looks exactly like the games, it feels like the games and, most importantly, it sounds like it too. They did something with this movie which seems very obvious but is actually not common at all with videogame movie adaptions: They simply used the soundtracks of the games. And everyone who has played Silent Hill knows how incredible the music is. They use it here to great effect. Its also giant in scope for a horror movie, it really looks big and, in the best sense, hellish.

The film is at parts very brutal but the effects havent aged all that well, so some scenes are kinda hilarious, but i can forgive that. The best part of Silent Hill is the 2nd act, where we learn more about the background of this place and why it is the way it is. The 3rd act then is kinda messy but the finale makes up for it a bit. It gets really gory and the ending is also relatively unconventional for a Hollywood movie.

So yeah, technically this film is not half as good as Phenomena, The Orphanage or Scream 4, but i...i just really really like it.

Soundtrack pieces:

Also: Avoid the sequel like the plague (Silent Hill: Revelation). Its absolutely terrible.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

52 minutes ago, 75Live said:

love the idea for the list and I will be following the thread with interest :)

i may have to do one at some point too

You doing a list is waaaaayyyyy overdue.

• Like 1

Silent Hill is one of my favorite horror movies! Top 5 easy. Atmosphere 9/10 you say, and I say you nailed it! Strongest aspect of the movie.

Unfortunately I'm not a huge horror movie buff, so take that with a grain of salt :hahaha:

As for the guess for #1, I'll go with

1Q2244C0-22.jpg

also known as "Braindead"

I love Peter Jackson, and not just for LOTR

• Like 3

2 hours ago, baumer said:

You doing a list is waaaaayyyyy overdue.

i'm starting a preliminary list so I guess I should get on it and then do some write ups somewhere in the future

• Like 1

Number 46:

220px-Rosemarys_baby_poster.jpg

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Director: Roman Polanski

Box Office: 33,4 Million

Story: 8/10

Tension: 7/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 6/10

Plot synopsis:

A young couple moves in to an apartment only to be surrounded by peculiar neighbors and occurrences. When the wife (Mia Farrow) becomes mysteriously pregnant, paranoia over the safety of her unborn child begins to control her life as she suspects that an evil cult wants to take her baby for use in their rituals.

Say about Roman Polanski as a person what you want, the man has directed some really great and influential movies. Like this one. Based on the 1967 novel of the same name by Ira Levin, this is one film that really understands psychological horror. Its not about what we see necessarily, but what it must feel like for the couple to experience these things (again, i wont spoil anything in these write-ups). Its the empathy for them and especially the wife that makes this movie so unnerving. This is made possible by excellent direction, a great script and all around terrific performances. Many older horror films (pre 1970) suffer from a type of overacting, that was very common in the Hollywood era of 1940-1960, but when the people in this film snap, its not irritating at all, its only logical. This film and another movie that came out soon after it were highly influential not only for the horror genre, but Hollywood as a whole.

I think many would argue that this film should be higher up on the list, but i rate these movies on how much i enjoy them and im also still quite young, so many older films seem a bit less impressive to me than for some older folks i fear:lol: though this one here is just really good.

Fun Fact: This was one of Stanley Kubricks favourite movies.

Calm soundtrack:

• Like 8

2 more for today will come later. The first one is just barely a year old while the second one is a horror remake that is done absolutely right - though i sense that the choice will be a surprise to many.

• Like 1

My guess for #1 is going to go to The Blair Witch Project. One of the few horror movies to really stick with me. 

On a different note, and I read through your opening post Brainbug, but do you have a list of all the horror movies you've ever watched? For me, that was the one thing that was lacking from Dax's list. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

My guess for #1 is going to go to The Blair Witch Project. One of the few horror movies to really stick with me. 

On a different note, and I read through your opening post Brainbug, but do you have a list of all the horror movies you've ever watched? For me, that was the one thing that was lacking from Dax's list. 

That would be impossible, imo...especially with the horror genre.  There are way too many horror films to list esepcially because there are so many horror films that are straight to DVD or straight to Netflix or films that you might have watched in 1983 that have been completely wiped from your memory.

• Like 2

@Brainbug...I'm on vacation this week and I'm camping kind of in a remote area without wifi so I won't be commenting much this week.  I'll look in from time to time using my phone of course, but I won't be in here as much as I normally would.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

films that you might have watched in 1983 that have been completely wiped from your memory.

Aha! I guess I'm one of the original nerds that makes meticulous notes of all the movies he watches. 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Brainbug...I'm on vacation this week and I'm camping kind of in a remote area without wifi so I won't be commenting much this week.  I'll look in from time to time using my phone of course, but I won't be in here as much as I normally would.  

Crystal Lake? ;)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1