Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Some good movies in the list so far @Brainbug. Although I was surprised to see the Evil Dead remake and not the original ones. 

I hope some of my favourite horror movies shows up in your list such as

1) Conjuring

2) The Witch

3) The omen

4) exorcism of emily rose

5) Paranormal activity 1

And others like Cujo, pet sematary, insidious, it follows, wrong turn, hills have eyes. 

Btw is it too late to guess the #1? If it is not then I would like to take a stab. 

Conjuring is my favourite horror movie so I would have said that one but lets go with The Omen. Although the witch is also very close in my favourites list

The Conjuring 1 just barely missed the list, its sequel is Number 38. Concerning the evil dead - just because the remake is on the list doesnt mean the older coudnt pop up somewhere ;) For the others i dont want to spoil the list but Paranormal Activity definetly wont be on it :ph34r:

• Like 1

Number 36:

220px-Lost_Higway_(1997).png

Lost Highway (1997)

Director: David Lynch

Box Office: 3,7 Million

Story: 7/10

Tension: 8/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 6/10

Plot Synopsis:

Yeah, well good luck to anyone who wants to write something related to the plot of this movie. Heres my best try: Fred Madison (Bill Pullman), a Los Angeles saxophonist, receives a message on the intercom of his house, which says "Dick Laurent is dead". Later, he and his wife Rennée (Patricia Arquette) receive a VHS tape where they can see that someone has filmed their house. Soon after, Fred is suddendly convicted of killing his wife...

This movie is insane. From the opening credits till the last scene, only a few people on this planet (the ones who have already watched it and later searched for explanations in the internet) will know, what the hell is going on. Its unchronological, its one WTF-moment after another and the film itself doesnt give you an (obvious) answer to any of the questions you might have. What is happening? Is it really happenning or is it all a dream? Or is part of it happening and part of it is real? Or are certain scenes and characters only metaphors? Holy hell, David Lynch.

But this film is not only confusing, its also scary as shit, atleast for me. Theres the Mystery Man, played by Robert Blake, who gives a magnificient and terrifying performance. There are countless moments where the films atmosphere and soundtrack create a feeling of uncertainty that really stick with the viewer. The film is also gory and brutal in some scenes, but the fact that we never really know what could wait for the protagonist(s) behind the next corner or in the next scene is what makes it so creepy, especially in the 1st and 3rd act. Lost Highway also contains LOTS of sex and nudity, but nothing of that is one bit erotic, even though the women are really beautiful; thats because it feels just so wrong and disturbing. Its a film that will have you constantly guessing and constantly going "What the hell was that? What does it mean?".

I dont think i need to say that this film isnt for everybody. No David Lynch film is for everybody. But if you want to see the movie equivalent of a psychological rollercoster, this might be something for you.

Fun Facts: David Lynch himself called the movie's narrative a "psychogenic fugue". Also, the german band Rammstein is featured in the Soundtrack of the movie (to great effect), which elevated their level of awareness in the US quite a bit.

Opening of the film:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Guessing a number seems like an impossible task, I'll just throw out some of my absolute favorites and maybe one of them might show up near the top. Psycho, The Exorcist, Jaws, The Shining, Evil Dead 2, Eraserhead, The Silence of the Lambs and Shaun of the Dead B).

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Guessing a number seems like an impossible task, I'll just throw out some of my absolute favorites and maybe one of them might show up near the top. Psycho, The Exorcist, Jaws, The Shining, Evil Dead 2, Eraserhead, The Silence of the Lambs and Shaun of the Dead B).

One of them might come very soon:Venom:

Though is there anyone which you would put at Number 1 for the guess? Exorcist ans SOTL are already taken.

Edited by Brainbug

Don't have the time or energy to do a proper countdown, but here's what my top 25 horror would look like.

1 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
2 The Thing
3 The Shining
4 Halloween
5 Alien
6 Carrie
7 Phantasm
8 Scream
9 Suspiria
10 Jeepers Creepers
11 My Bloody Valentine
12 Angel Heart
13 A Nightmare on Elm Street
14 The Exorcist
15 The Fog
16 The House of the Devil
17 Near Dark
18 Nosferatu the Vampyre
19 Poltergeist
20 Possession
21 Rosemary's Baby
22 Candyman
23 Dust Devil
24 The Brood
25 Kill List

• Like 1

Number 35:

It_(2017)_poster.jpg

It (2017)

Director: Andy Muschietti

Box Office: 700,3 Million WW

Story: 8/10

Tension: 7/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 8/10

Plot Synopsis:

A killer clown is on the loose to eat innocent children alive. Naturally, a film with such a story went on to became a beloved blockbuster lol.

In all seriousness, this movie floored me. I like the Book by Stephen King quite a bit and just hoped that the movie woundt stink honestly. Then the trailers came out and i was pleasantly surprised how good it looked. Then i saw it in theaters and really liked it. Then i saw it for a 2nd and 3rd time at home and...im beginning to love it.

The film has a few flaws. The jumpscare noises are a bit annoying and kinda ruin some creepy moments in the movie. The tone switches a bit too much imo, we sometimes go from a scary scene to a rather humourus one in an instant and that doesnt work always (semi-spoiler: The river fight withe the bullys and the slo-mo; thats a little bit weird). Apart from that, this is a Class-A-blockbuster. The performances are stellar, especially Skarsgard as Pennywise, Sophia Lillis as Beverly and Jaeden Lieberher as Billy. Kid actors can downright destroy a horror movie when they're bad, but these ones really shine. Thats partly due to a great script; the dialogue is funny and witty throughout, but it also manages to be emotional and dead-on-serious when its needed. 

As a horror film, it isnt all that scary, but its unholy amounts of entertaining. The effects are (mostly) quite good and all the interactions between the clown and the kids are downright perfectly handled. The strongest aspect of the movie though is the cinematography: The man responsible here is Chung Chung-hoon, who was also behind the camera of The Handmaiden (2016), which is imo the most beautifully filmed movie of the 2010s and with IT he again shows that he needs more contracts in Hollywood ASAP: The film looks absolutely great and way more expensive than just 35 Million, which is the official budget.

I honestly think this movie is an instant classic, especially among teens (and kids) that saw it in theaters. Its that good.

As all of you surely know, this was a worldwide sensation at the box office and is (as of June 2018) the third-highest grossing R-Rated movie of all time (behind only Deadpool and The Matrix Reloaded, though Deadpool 2 might be able to sneak by 700M WW as well, we'll see) and of course the highest-grossing horror film of all time unadjusted. Worth mentioning is also @Pandamia!'s successfull club, that IT would become the highest-grossing fall release of all time DOM, topping Gravity (274M) - which it did with 327M. 

The film also has a very good soundtrack:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

I really enjoyed IT but imo it was sorely missing in the scares department. The scares were super basic.

Also, I find it hard to believe the movie only cost 35 mill.

With marketing etc etc it was surely above that number but its official so i cant really use another number.

Hey Brainbug! :)  I know this is off-topic but are you from Germany?  You mentioned that you read German subtitles for The Wailing.  Reason I'm asking is because Fallen Kingdom opens tomorrow in Germany and was really hoping that you'd tell all of us what you thought of it and, dare I say, even give us some spoilers. ;)

Edit- We here in the United States won't be able to see it until the 22nd, poor us. :(

Edited by L Silverman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, L Silverman said:

Hey Brainbug! :)  I know this is off-topic but are you from Germany?  You mentioned that you read German subtitles for The Wailing.  Reason I'm asking is because Fallen Kingdom opens tomorrow in Germany and was really hoping that you'd tell all of us what you thought of it and, dare I say, even give us some spoilers. ;)

Yes im from Germany and i will see FK on Friday. Will post my spoiler-free and spoiler review afterwards.

• Like 1

Number 34:

512Wfb-vBYL.jpg

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Director: Edgar Wright, God of Editing

Box Office: 30 Million

Tension: 6/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 9/10

Plot Synopsis:

Shaun (Simon Pegg) is an electronic salesman who really doesnt know what to do with his life or his lazy housemate/best friend Ed (Nick Frost). And while he tries to be a better boyfriend for Liz (Kate Ashfield), theres a sudden zombie outbreak going on, which complicates things a bit...

Im not that big on zombie films. I like some of them, but they arent really made for me. The parodys of them are though.

Shaun of the Dead is ofc the first part of the Blood and Ice Cream-Trilogy by Edgar Wright, alongside Hot Fuzz (2007) and The World's End (2013). And its simply hilarious. Simon Pegg proves here that he is not only a very good comedic actor, but also an underrated dramatic one: Following the tagline "A Romantic Comedy. With Zombies", this movie actually follows the typical pattern of a rom-com, the zombies are just there to make things more difficult. But amongst all the jokes and slapstick humour - very british indeed - this movie depicts the struggle of a simple man who doesnt know in which direction his life should go and what he should do to win his girlfriend back.

But its also a zombie movie. Complete with gore and the (seemingly) typical ending for such a movie - because the final sequence is actually very intense. But at the end of the day this is a parody of zombie movies and what they do in the final scene is so funny that even thinking about it makes me chuckle. This one is a perfect party film.

And like i said, Edgar Wright is the God of Editing. So many visual jokes are in his movies, its astounding. Hot Fuzz, World's End, Scott Pilgrim vs the World and Baby Driver most recently are all elevated so much by his direction. Imo, Wright is one of the top 5 directors working today.

One whole scene this time, its not that spoilery and its just pure gold:

• Like 7

Number 33:

220px-Misery_(1990_film_poster).png

Misery (1990)

Director: Rob Reiner

Box Office: 61,3 Million

Tension: 8/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 7/10

Plot Synopsis:

The book author Paul (James Caan) is caught in a blizzard and his car goes off the road, rendering him unconscious. Hes picked up by Annie (Kathy Bates), who is a (very) big fan of his series of books centering around the character Misery Chastain. And the moment he tells her that he plans to end the series, she...well, she kinda snaps.

Ive only seen this film a year ago for the first time, but after the viewing, i knew instantly that it would be a heavy contender for any of my various movie lists. Misery is such a well-crafted psychological horror thriller. Kathy Bates's Oscar-winning performance is astonishing, she plays one of the most realistic crazy persons ive seen in any film and thats what makes her so scary. I went into the film blind not knowing what she was capable of doing...and what can i say, i was on the edge of my seat nearly the whole time she was on-screen. But not to be overlooked in any way is Caan's performance who is ofc very limited in his range, sitting or lying around most of the time, but he is also giving a terrific performance. And that is the core of this film: Two people fighting each other mostly on a psychological level where the outcome is up in the air. There arent that many films that are more suspensfull than this one.

Fun Fact: The role of Paul Sheldon should have originally gone to William Hurt, but he said no. Then the producers asked Kevin Kline, Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford, Dustin Hoffman, Robert de Niro, Al Pacino, Richard Dreyfuss, Gene Hackmann and also Robert Redford, but all turned it down. James Caan was kinda the last hope for them - which in the end was absolutely the right decision.

Calm soundtrack #4:

• Like 6