TomCruiseTop

How many movies have you watched?

This weekend I spent some time going through my old notebooks and IMDb page to help me with the favorite quotes thread and in the process totaled up just how many movies I've seen. 

I think I must be approaching the 10,000 mark. I think I must have watched at least 8,000 feature films, but I'm not certain of that. 

I'm in the process of moving everything over onto iCheckmovies so that I have a central repository to keep track right now. 

So I was wondering: 

Just how many movies have you watched? (And how do you track them if you do?) 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3

@JamesCameronScholar 8,000?? That is a lot :ohmygod:

I have an excel where I have been listing what I see and what I want to see, with some data like year or director to know which year or director I see more. I take note about the date of each viewing too. I am at 850 different films right now accounted, but I have seen way more films before I started doing this (2014). How many in my whole life? I do not know. Maybe 1,500-2,000. It is hard to know.

• Like 1

So if you are 40 years old and you've watched 8000 movies that means you've averaged 200 per year. Not saying that's impossible but that's a lot of movies every year. I'm 46 and I know there are years when I probably watched 250 or 300 movies but that didn't start until I was at least around 15. Getting the 8000 movies that's pretty tough man LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, baumer said:

So if you are 40 years old and you've watched 8000 movies that means you've averaged 200 per year. Not saying that's impossible but that's a lot of movies every year. I'm 46 and I know there are years when I probably watched 250 or 300 movies but that didn't start until I was at least around 15. Getting the 8000 movies that's pretty tough man LOL

I'm older than even you baumer, when I was in my teens/early twenties I went through at least 2 a day, and still aim to average a movie a day as I've said before, but when on holiday and at weekends, I can sometimes get through 5 or 6 a day. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'm older than even you baumer, when I was in my teens/early twenties I went through at least 2 a day, and still aim to average a movie a day as I've said before, but when on holiday and at weekends, I can sometimes get through 5 or 6 a day. 

I'm in my early twenties and I easily have 2 a day.

13 hours ago, baumer said:

I watched 301 movies last year and I’m already at 150 or so for this year (I think 155?  Don’t wanna check rn lol).  It’s definitely not impossible

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I watched 301 movies last year and I’m already at 150 or so for this year (I think 155?  Don’t wanna check rn lol).  It’s definitely not impossible

I'm living proof it's not - in fact it's actually over 8000 by some margin at the moment, I think I must have averaged at least 400 movies a year for the last decade, and I feel like I watch less now! 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 9:55 AM, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Started a letterboxd account a while back for this reason. I got 900 movies logged so far. There's probably a bunch of old films or tv movies I forgot about. Also didn't count ones that I never finished watching (even if I made it through most of the film). 

I did the same thing, LOL.  I think I got to about 700 before I checked out and couldn't swipe anymore.

When I was younger, we lived at the end of a long dirt driveway, and Dad refused to play to bring the cable up until I was like 16.  We'd rent at least three movies a week from Blockbuster (RIP).  I would bet I've seen about 3,000 movies to 4,000.   

• Like 1

At least 5. Maybe 6.

:P

Uh....so from 2015 - present, I just stuck stuff in a Google Doc, and that tallied up to around 500 at the end of 2017. So at least 547. Of course there are more, but I'm far too lazy to input most of them into my new Letterboxd. 

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I did the same thing, LOL.  I think I got to about 700 before I checked out and couldn't swipe anymore.

When I was younger, we lived at the end of a long dirt driveway, and Dad refused to play to bring the cable up until I was like 16.  We'd rent at least three movies a week from Blockbuster (RIP).  I would bet I've seen about 3,000 movies to 4,000.    

#follow me link is below vvv

I used to keep track of them through the Flixster app. Way back when you could rate movies on Facebook using a quick rate option and that’s how I got probably half of my ratings. Then that optioned disappeared and I began using the app. Last fall the app turned to shit and erased all of my ratings, though I think they’re still up on the Rotten Tomatoes desktop site (which I never used). By that point I was close to 3,200.

Now I keep track on Letterboxd. I wasn’t able to remember everything but got close to 3,000. After a few months of use (and I’m never leaving) I’m up to 3,113. My really number is probably closer to 3,500. There are some movies that I’ve seen that I just leave blank because I don’t remember them (anything from childhood that didn’t leave any sort of impression on me or that I haven’t seen in 20+ years).

Edited by Jmart
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 6:54 PM, Jmart said:

I used to keep track of them through the Flixster app. Way back when you could rate movies on Facebook using a quick rate option and that’s how I got probably half of my ratings. Then that optioned disappeared and I began using the app. Last fall the app turned to shit and erased all of my ratings, though I think they’re still up on the Rotten Tomatoes desktop site (which I never used). By that point I was close to 3,200.

Now I keep track on Letterboxd. I wasn’t able to remember everything but got close to 3,000. After a few months of use (and I’m never leaving) I’m up to 3,113. My really number is probably closer to 3,500. There are some movies that I’ve seen that I just leave blank because I don’t remember them (anything from childhood that didn’t leave any sort of impression on me or that I haven’t seen in 20+ years).

Sorry that you lost your ratings, that's painful. Still a good amount of ratings so far! 

• Like 1

Thanks! The silver lining at least is I found Letterboxd and I much prefer that to Flixster. And I’m only missing 100 ratings from what I had before so that’s not too much of a difference. One day I’ll go through Letterboxd and find those missing films.

Edited by Jmart
  • Like 1