Eric Atreides

In the Heights l Warner Bros. l June 10, 2021 | Lin-Manuel Miranda failed to save us all!

Like with Hamilton (although not as annoying), this film and it's messages felt so fake and hollow. Chu's musical numbers have some nice moments (the sequence in the swimming pool and the one where they defy gravity) but everything else is just shot in such a boring manner. And Miranda can write some catchy songs but he's such a hack when it comes to everything else lmao.

Probably should've watched some 3-hour long Bollywood musical (that would've felt a lot shorter) today instead of this.

I watched the first 8 minutes they released on YouTube and realized there's no way I'm watching this in a theater for one simple reason - it's sung through. I literally cannot follow a sung through musical. I prefer my dialogue scenes and musical scenes to remain separate like say a Singing in the Rain or any Bollywood movie ever. I just can't follow lyrics throughout a movie.

So yeah, HBO Max it is.

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I watched the first 8 minutes they released on YouTube and realized there's no way I'm watching this in a theater for one simple reason - it's sung through. I literally cannot follow a sung through musical. I prefer my dialogue scenes and musical scenes to remain separate like say a Singing in the Rain or any Bollywood movie ever. I just can't follow lyrics throughout a movie.

So yeah, HBO Max it is.

It's not sung through.

I had no idea until yesterday that this was opening today. I would have gone this afternoon, but for the fact that the local theater it's running at is still holding off on it until tomorrow. I know I could just watch it on HBO Max (and I did check out the first 8 minutes yesterday), but this definitely feels like something I'd rather experience theatrically first.

Ok, finished it. Holly macaroni, this was bad. So hollow and forced. What are the critics smoking? It's full of cliches and not done in any innovative way. If i hear one more rap song i'm gonna crawl some walls. The movie felt like a telenovela and those are more enjoyable.

La la land remains the best modern musical.

Edited by Maggie
  • Sad 2
  • Knock It Off 2

CRA was based on a best selling novel, which ITH lacks in. CRA had many well known stars (Constance Wu from Crazy Rich Asians, Awakafina from Ocean's 8, Gemma Chan from Humans, Michelle Yeoh from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). while ITH does not have as much strong starpower. Also, the musical is not well known like Hamilton. I was never predicting above $30M due to COVID and the tough sell of it even way before the panademic. My range is $20-25M OW (without Thursday previews) and $22-29M OW (with Thursday previews included). I will watch it this Saturday. I am so excited for it. I hope the best for ITH.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Damn, I came in here hoping to see some personal reviews, and ummm, I got them.  I guess I've reset my expectations before I hit the "play" button later this weekend (unless y girls want to see it, then I gotta wait a week b/c they are visiting their grandparents)...

PS - Thanks for the warning about rap songs...not usually my thing in a musical unless really well done, so at least I'll be ready...

Hmmmm. After seeing this, I really understand the trailers, which really do capture the spirit/subject matter of overall movie. I loved it by the end, but can understand why there's a struggle in selling it to movie audiences.

You can tell Lin-Manuel wrote the Usnavi songs for his own range, but I guess you can get away with that when you created the whole thing. When it's someone else, it's kind of glaring when the friend of the lead gets the real vocal showcases. Anthony Ramos has a better voice than Lin, and maybe they tweaked the Usnavi songs from the stage show, but they could have done more. 

It is a spectacle and I'd recommend the big screen if very sing-songy musicals are your thing.

My only real complaint story wise is the Sonny subplot, which since it wasn't in the musical was kind of just jammed in there. Needed a little more urgency or to tie directly more into Usnavis mixed feelings about leaving.

If Olga Merediz doesn't get a nomination the Academy should be burned to the ground.

Edited by SpiderByte

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pretty funny especially after CRA got some similar criticisms about its (lack of) portrayal of darker skinned Asians and South Asians.

My man said they were in the blackground dancing 🤣

Edit: I typed in "Washington Heights" on twitter and they were killing this thing

Edited by AJG