Eric Atreides

In the Heights l Warner Bros. l June 10, 2021 | Lin-Manuel Miranda failed to save us all!

9 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

The eventual Hamilton movie's gonna be the first movie to make $1B DOM.

09162d2b4368f536d3cddd8c7401aba4.gif

9 hours ago, ban1o said:

I'm actually curious how they would do the Hamilton movie. I wonder if casting POC in the lead roles would translate as well to film 

Hamilton would have to be completely restaged in order to work as a movie.

The musical is 70+% cast members narrating events to the audience. Maybe if you frame it as a cross between a musical and a documentary reenactment or something.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Hamilton would have to be completely restaged in order to work as a movie.

The musical is 70+% cast members narrating events to the audience. Maybe if you frame it as a cross between a musical and a documentary reenactment or something.

yeah this like the opening and closing number is all narration. It would be extremely difficult to translate to film. The show was specifically meant for stage. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

On the subject of young Latinx actors who can sing and dance, I hope Camila Mendes (Riverdale's Veronica) breaks out.

Also, Naya Rivera better get her shit together again. She was so promising once upon a time.

mmm Naya might be a good choice for Vanessa. She does need to get her shit together though. 

Vanessa Hudgens isn't latina but she played Vanessa on stage recently. I wonder if she will be considered. She is often cast in latina roles lol. 

Edited by ban1o

As some have already said here, In The Heights doesn't come across as especially cinematic to me, it feels really important that there is an intimate and somewhat interactive relationship between Usnavi and the audience.

Great direction will be able to get round that, but recent experience is that very few directors still working understand musical theatre - heck the movie that possibly understands MT the most is Mamma Mia - and there hasn't been a truly good movie musical adaptation since, what, Reefer Madness?  

That said, some of the set pieces like Blackout might legit work on film, and the source material is strong.