Eric Atreides

In the Heights l Warner Bros. l June 10, 2021 | Lin-Manuel Miranda failed to save us all!

38 minutes ago, ban1o said:

lmao Jon Chu named his son after this movie. It better be good now. Imagine being named after a shit movie lol 

I'm sure Intheheights Chu is gonna have bigger things to worry about than his dad's filmography

18 hours ago, TMP said:

I'm sure Intheheights Chu is gonna have bigger things to worry about than his dad's filmography

Lol He named his son Jonathan Heights Chu and said they call him “Heights” 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2019 at 6:45 AM, TMP said:

I have a feeling it'll be closer to Jersey Boys; WB marketing's been pretty off recently.

This seems pretty niche audience only for theatre die-hards so they are probably not expecting huge things. Don't know what the budget is though.

17 hours ago, ban1o said:

Lol He named his son Jonathan Heights Chu and said they call him “Heights” 

That is tragic. :lol:

Edited by Avatree

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I was thinking about why this doesn't have a Latino/Hispanic American director but then I couldn't think of one except Robert Rodriguez.  It's fucking sad considering the large % of the US pop & cinema audience. 

yes it's very sad. but Lin was very involved in the movie and Quiara Alegría Hudes who wrote the book for the broadway show wrote the script. 

6 hours ago, Avatree said:

This seems pretty niche audience only for theatre die-hards so they are probably not expecting huge things. Don't know what the budget is though.

don't see why it has to be niche. If it's marketed well it could be moderate hit I'm predicting 70 million domestic right now 

• Like 1

From Deadline:

In addition, Warner Bros. gave Sao Paulo the first look at the big-screen adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Tony Award-winning musical In The Heights, which opens June 26, 2020. The generous look at the movie musical directed by Jon M. Chu featured behind the scenes footage as well as glimpses of the big musical numbers. All the while, we are treated to Usnavi (Anthony Ramos) providing us with the soundtrack, singing the opening number from the musical.

In an interview in the video, Chu talks about how much he liked the musical. He added, “It always stuck me with all these years."

Ramos, who also starred in the original Broadcast cast for Hamilton, chimed in on the Latinx-driven musical saying that Miranda is one of the “greatest songwriters of our time.”

The footage was filled with an overwhelming amount of Latinx swag and the soul and vibe of the original musical was very much present. Everything show was fast cuts to bits and pieces of cast members singing and blink-or-you’ll-miss-it peeks at the dance numbers — but enough to hype it up. Intercut between were interviews with actors Corey Hawkins, Leslie Grace, Melissa Barrera, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Stephanie Beatriz, Dascha Polanco, Jimmy Smits, Olga Merediz, Gregory Diaz, and, or course, the man who started it all, Lin-Manuel Miranda.

“Every song is a love letter to the neighborhood,” said Miranda in the video. “It’s a celebration of the culture.”

As Hawkins points out, the immigrant story is about home and what home means while Grace adds that it is not only an exploration of culture and identity but a film that will us “plant a seed of love” and respect everyone around you.

In the original storyline of In the Heights, bodega owner Usnavi strikes it rich and plans to leave, until the pull of the Latino neighborhood and the people in it give him pause. Set in the Upper Manhattan neighborhood of Washington Heights, the plot revolves around Usnavi, a college student, a taxi driver, a beauty salon worker and an old woman who aspire to better lives as gentrification begins to take hold, and a sweltering summer power blackout brings their personal life crises to a head.

Best Picture 2021, here we come.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:28 PM, filmlover said:

You've seen the musical? Just confirm if Legend Stephanie Beatriz's role is a good one and we're good to go.

I’ve seen the musician  and also did the show in college. Unfortunately Carla’s role is not big lol. Probably the second smallest of main roles. But it’s still a good role! 

Edited by ban1o