Eric Atreides

In the Heights l Warner Bros. l June 10, 2021 | Lin-Manuel Miranda failed to save us all!

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

A whole year wow but not really surprising since LMM said it wasn't even close to finished when everything shut down so perhaps it would've been delayed no matter no what. Now it'll still have that Tony Awards tie-in they were clearly seeking.

• Like 2

Jesus fucking Christ. All the movies I gave a shit about outside Oscar season. I barely feel like writing about box office even when it does come back :( Can't we trade Godzilla vs Kong and Halloween 2 or shit like that for this and Sopranos? If we are gonna do movies anymore at least.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

A whole year wow but not really surprising since LMM said it wasn't even close to finished when everything shut down so perhaps it would've been delayed no matter no what. Now it'll still have that Tony Awards tie-in they were clearly seeking.

Yep, this is possibly the one* movie being delayed that's not bc of Corona.

*Sans Gambit :sparta:

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Jesus fucking Christ. All the movies I gave a shit about outside Oscar season. I barely feel like writing about box office even when it does come back :( Can't we trade Godzilla vs Kong and Halloween 2 or shit like that for this and Sopranos? If we are gonna do movies anymore at least.

Absolutely not! I need HK to come out and devour at the box office this year or next year. :( I want In The Heights to do well, too.

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Studios are pretty much writing off 2020 and hoping that moviegoing comes back stronger than ever in 2021 at this point. Disney and WB are the only studios somewhat optimistic about things returning to normal by July.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised they went for June 18th when they had June 4th reserved for a WB tentpole. 

The Tony Awards are always the second Sunday in June (so...June 13 in 2021, five days before this is now set to open) so I imagine they picked this date specifically for cross-promotion with that.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

The Tony Awards are always the second Sunday in June (so...June 13 in 2021, five days before this is now set to open) so I imagine they picked this date specifically for cross-promotion with that.

Ah, hadn't considered the Tonys. 

Think this is gonna have a shortened window:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/warner-bros-universal-bosses-movie-theater-buyouts-covid-19-1234598176/

Sarnoff name-checked spring 2021 title In the Heights as films that would have theatrical as an element of their releases but not in the traditional way. Sarnoff said some preliminary discussions have been held with exhibitors about windows but she had nothing to announce.

• Astonished 3