DeeCee

Ocean's 8 (2018)

Grade it  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The movie is fun, but doesn’t really do anything to stand out in its genre or even its own franchise (beyond being a group of women doing the man’s job).

It’s safe but keeps you entertained the whole way through.  A good summer film that’s more laid back than most of the bigger tentpoles surrounding it.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2018 at 4:15 AM, Jay Hollywood said:

I mean shit we finally get to the Met Gala there is NO establishing shot, no cool music, no celebs, no getting outta cars, no closed streets, no fans trying to see from a far, no setting the mood, no scope,

Sometime I take for granted those montage are easy minutes to be fun in a movie, and this movie help make you appreciate the heist plan with voiceover montage or well good montage in general. Same for the good soundtrack bringing energy, that movie show that it is not that easy at all.

The movie has many issues, but 3 really big:

1) The villain, is so far from the Ocean 11 villain, maybe the movie should have started with Blanchett/Bullock younger life and the betrayal instead of the prison parole scene, making us feel the betrayal and enjoying the revenge more, casting could have helped a lot also.

2) The hided side quest, we know something is up when Blanchett by the submarine that didn't fit in any talked plan and so on, but at the end do we care at the reveal that instead of sharing 1/9th of 84 millions they get 1/9th of a larger amount....... it was already a lot of money, already a hard to spend amount of illegal unwhashed money. At least they put one of the characters with enough money problem for who it could make a difference....

It also feel extremely artificial that they kept it secret to the other, did a small group try to con the rest and make a larger amount ? Was it the movie that kept different ending option available and didn't use it ? The payoff of keeping that part secret is quite low.

It make also some part of the heist frustrating, not replacing the diamand neckless right away or not finding it in the pool right away made no sense.... also why not exit the giant neckless like the other one, once the security is down or easily never alerted in the first place..... feel really artificial just to have them walk in clothes. Why the Hathaway non participation kept secret to the other, just to keep it secret to the audience... if so why spoil it in the first piece of marketing ?

3) The overall energy and humor level was lacking, Bullock voice did work really well here and her character work imo, but all the others not so much.

D

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

A movie that was just OK.  

A great tell for when I'm watching a great film is the smile I have on my face as I'm watching. There was no such smile plastered on my face this time around. Not to say it wasn't good but that's all it was. It pales in comparison to Oceans 11.

Pros

- I avoided the trailers so the Hathaway reveal was great, loved it

- the plan itself had merit, I like the twist on the robbing a museum idea

- great performances by Bullock, Rihanna and the asian girl (forgot her name)

Cons

- cringe-worthy slow moments during the film which just dragged

- some of the dialogue was indecipherable

- nitpicky plot holes and contrivances during the actual heist (elicited questions like "Why did/didn't do this or that"); also I kept wondering where Bullock was staying after the previous hotel occupants discovered the ruse...Cate Blanchett's house?

B-

Edited by lilmac

One little thing I liked about it is that like in the first one, they got a major actor from Dawson's Creek to appear in this.  Joshua Jackson did O11 and Katie Holmes did O8...nice touch.  Also, I'm surprised Holmes agreed to do it with Anne Hathaway as she has made fun of Holmes in the past.  

This film followed all the makings of a good caper film. It even had a photo on George Clooney in the film. the twists during the event were well paced and kept me involved then the film (trying too hard) took a pair of misdirections.  First they introduce a character that must have been in the original films, that art investigator. I don't care about him so why do I need to know him? He's clever but not menacing so the team are only in danger if they want it. The film makers that is, and they are now playing with me so I am less engaged. 

I know a good actress knows bad acting, and she did figure it out, but why would she join in? making friends isn't enough. She needs to want to buck the system. And I don't care about the ex boyfriend, so the revenge thing, while needed in an Ocean's film, doesn't fit. Now we spend even more time getting to see them sleep with him and plant evidence and I've already become detached from this growing calamity of misdirection. (punn intended) 

the film was light and fun and my mom enjoyed it. She too asked who was that boyfriend after we left the theater. sigh.. 

Holy shit, you can see the blatant difference between a director with style and a paint-by-the-numbers hack that struggles to liven up the proceeding, cruising in automatic mode. (If it wasn't for Helena Bonham Carter's ham and Anne Hathaway's smug auto-derision, I would have fallen asleep). I mean Louis Leterrier could have done way better than this barely entertaining cash grab. It's disheartening seeing such a cast being saddled with a lazy script and wasted by some TV movie spin-off directing.

It's fun enough, but the joining of the Hathaway was weirdly tacked on, and the "Twist" of the heist was kind of boring. I'm curious why none of those jewels would have been inspected when they were returned to the proper owners as well. I almost feel like the twist would have worked better, if they hadn't also been able to sell off the big necklace, like Bullock had to give it up to keep everyone safe, only to reveal the other haul instead.

I don't regret watching the movie, and I'd like to see more of these characters, but the movie itself is just...okay.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

I almost feel like the twist would have worked better, if they hadn't also been able to sell off the big necklace, like Bullock had to give it up to keep everyone safe, only to reveal the other haul instead.

Not a bad idea, the twist being instead of making 8m each we are making 14m each was quite a small difference (nothing for all the character except one with the tax problem).

Specially that keeping that part of the heist secret to the other's make very little sense (if they were not thinking about keeping it), maybe there was a version of this were they cheat the other's and keep more money for themselves or change their mind in that scene and that the reveal....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not a bad idea, the twist being instead of making 8m each we are making 14m each was quite a small difference (nothing for all the character except one with the tax problem).

Specially that keeping that part of the heist secret to the other's make very little sense (if they were not thinking about keeping it), maybe there was a version of this were they cheat the other's and keep more money for themselves or change their mind in that scene and that the reveal....

I don't know. It's just there to service a reveal twist, that could have worked better. Though thinking back, was it only Hathaway who didn't know about it, I don't really remember, which would make sense since she wasn't apart of the heist proper. (I would have had her becoming apart of the group before the heist, but only revealed afterwards)

Maybe afterwards Hathaway complains it was all for naught, and they surprise her with the jewels. 

The more I think about it, I'm not sure that works, but such is life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RandomCat said:

Though thinking back, was it only Hathaway who didn't know about it, I don't really remember, which would make sense since she wasn't apart of the heist proper.

From memory I think a fraction of the group are also asking why there is so much money and get revealed the crown jewel. And in the final product it does feel purely to service keeping it hidden from the audience in a 100% artificial way, like if it changed along the way from something more substantial.

I wonder how much of the Ocean 8 project came from the script that was bout by WB (via New Line) not so long after the time I imagine O8 development started:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/met-gala-heist-script-goes-829200

Did they just bought it to not get lawsuit/a similar movie getting released just before them or like some of the idea ?

6 hours ago, RandomCat said:

(I would have had her becoming apart of the group before the heist, but only revealed afterwards)

Once she is part of it, it stop making sense too.

For example them unlocking the neckless tension moment make little sense once she is part of the group, making her sick... a lot of stuff become too easy.