DeeCee

Ocean's 8 (2018)

Grade it  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

Once she is part of it, it stop making sense too.

For example them unlocking the neckless tension moment make little sense once she is part of the group, making her sick... a lot of stuff become too easy.

In my mind, it's still a twist, and kept secret from the rest of the group. For "realism" sake or some off written line. Not saying it would be good, but to me it makes her inclusion less show horned in if she was apart of the heist during it, than after.

Really, trying to stay within the confines of the original structure I'm not sure what could be fixed that doesn't create problems. 

In the end I enjoyed it well enough I'm not mad at it, so at least that's something.

Ocean’s Eight isn’t as good as Soderbergh’s original, but it comes pretty close. The cast is surprisingly well-developed all around, with the exception of Kaling’s character; a far cry from the original using half of its cast only as caricatures. Bullock grounds the movie with Blanchett adding some style for the leadership. It’d be a waste of time calling out particular members of the cast because everyone gets their moment to shine. That said, Hathaway steals the show making fun of herself and Corden is surprisingly funny with his brief amount of screentime, playing against type.

It’s just Ross’s direction that lets down, settling for milquetoast rather than the confident style of the original trilogy. There’s no sense of color and although the dissolves are here, nothing about how this film is shot aesthetically fits the franchise, thanks to Ross's ineptitude at getting basic coverage on shots . It’s still enjoyable thanks to the script and ensemble, but it could’ve been so much more.

Nevertheless, Ocean’s Eight is a fun time at the theater, and likely to be one of the better blockbusters of the summer. A nice change of pace from effects-heavy fare, this reminds one that a solid script and a cool ensemble can be enough for charming thrills. B

The cast is a delight! They made the movie less boring than it actually was.

Major work needs to be put on the script and directions. Hopefully they’ll do that with the sequel.

B-

Edited by Sam

I'll just agree with... pretty much everyone else, it seems. Terrific cast dragged down by Gary Ross.

Bring back Soderbergh for the sequel and it'll be dynamite. As it stands, this is still enjoyable enough. Doesn't hold a candle to the other three Ocean's movies but I love those three like nothing else so it was always a big ask.

• Like 3

The script wasn't very good but my, oh my, was Gary Ross' direction poor. 

All that talent in the cast and they get a hack to direct it. What a waste. 

To be fair, taking a look at his filmography, a hack would be overstating it, but there is literally no style or identity to this film. It's a heist film- that's the basic razzmatazz it needs and it's missing. 

If there is an Ocean's 9, someone else needs to come in and direct it. Maybe a female director, but not the Wonder Woman one. 

11 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

The big problem is this ladies are stealing from NOBODY!!!! It makes them kinda rude?

In Oceans 11 they steal from someone who has not only effected more than 1 of there lives but we see Andy Garcia being a giant DICK and we want him to get stolen from. Same goes fro Al Pacino 

The girls in Oceans 8 are stealing from an ownerless vault, kinda lam, boring, and not the greatest writing

Well, they do use the heist as revenge against Bullock's asshole ex-boyfriend who had her sent to prison by framing him like he did her

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

That has nothing to do with who they are stealing from or what Im talking about and it only effects her. And again we never see any reason besides the flashback not to like him or for the other girls to not like him. 

In Oceans 11 Andy Garcia has effected a few of the people , Clooney, Ruebun and Julia Roberts and again he's an asshole to everyone adn we has an audience hat him. And the Revenge plot was deeper because it was tied into who they were stealing from. 

In this they steal from the nobody. Thus why am I rooting for this heist. Would you root for he fast Five crew if that money was going to charity and not an evil Brazilian politician. No. Its filmmaking 101 

This sounds like a nitpick tbh. People go to a movie like this just for the talented cast and their chemistry, not complex plotting, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This sounds like a nitpick tbh. People go to a movie like this just for the talented cast and their chemistry, not complex plotting, etc.

That not more complex (specially than they still introduce a bad guy in there anyway) or much plot who you are stealing from being someone root against.

Complaining that someone with large debt that was in direct contact with the jewelry, insisted for the jewel to be used, that seem to clean her debt and start a new business right after the coup being a bit of a stretch is nitpicking, not having the assemble together in interesting enough blocking is a bit less nitpick, what the motivation for the characters are, for what audience root or does not root for, is far from nitpick imo, feel like in the very core of a movie.

Ocean's Eleven is one of my favorite movies ever but it's never been because of the motivations the characters had to go after Andy Garcia. Similarly, this movie works for a lot of the same reasons (it's fun - plain and simple - and a great assemblage of talented people), though is nowhere nearly as successful at pulling them off as the earlier picture (guess that's what happens when you have a Gary Ross instead of a Steven Soderbergh at the helm).

The popular dig against Ocean's 11 was that it's just a fun romp of movie stars being movie stars and little else beyond that. Which is partially true but this new reboot highlights that it really takes a lot more than putting 10 talented people in the same room and yell "be awesome". Soderbergh and Ted Griffin's underrated screenplay made that movie really sing on top of movie stars being awesome.

Sadly this new movie has almost nothing beyond the great cast. And the cast is every bit as good as 11 was even if it's not as star studded, they just don't have anything to work with. Bullock and Blanchett pretty much skate by on charisma and being the central figures of the whole thing and I guess Hathaway is awesome but it's all on her not the character or the way it's written. Everyone else is pretty much trapped in their boring stock characters even if they get more to do than the bit players in the previous movies.

I wouldn't say the movie is bad, but the biggest compliment I could give it is that it's kinda ok all the way through. And 5 minutes after it ends you have already forgot 99% of it. Which is a shame because they bothered to gather THIS cast and then gave them a placeholder of a script and Garry Ross whose only idea of a visual flair is breaking the frame in pieces every 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

This stays about the same on a rewatch. Nice breezy summer fun. The direction could definitely be better but the cast and script ensure that no one will leave this movie without having an enjoyable time. Here’s hoping for an Ocean’s Nine as soon as possible. B