64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Stupid villains

Only slightly less stupid heroes

Stupid clone girl plot twist

Stupid ending

Stupid scene where Star-Lord crawls away from lava

So much stupid.

It was okay, I guess. The effects were dope and at least I didn't outright despise the characters like I did with Lost World so that's a plus.

Spoiler

But honestly I found the Brachiosaurus scene really corny and kinda unwarranted and it made me chuckle.

And they should just make it canon that the T-Rex has the power to teleport in at convenient times.

Edited by cookie

Everyone's talking about Franklin, but for me the most annoying character was the paleo-vet he worked with.  Her every line was just terrible and irritating in the extreme.  

The plot is the same one rehashed from the other films, but I'll probably still watch the next one.  I'd prefer more focus on real dinosaurs rather then the made up ones and the indoraptor did very little in the film anyway.  It was great to see the carnotaurus, that dinosaur used to really creep me out as a child!

I was gutted how little the mosasaur was actually shown, considering the really great bit in the trailer.  

Americans really have no idea how to write British people.  "Baaaaath, you need to speak the Queen's English"  what the hell, really.  About half the population says bAth.

Edited by LLS
  • Like 1

Horrible mess!

Except for few tensed scenes like the one in beginning, nothing to brag about. Contender for one of the overrated and most fucked up movie of all time.

I would have loved skipping in theatres but forcefully had to watch this piece of shit!

4/10

I was surprised at how much I liked this. There are rudimentary plot points, but the film is more compelling and the characters (the new additions Franklin, Zia and Maisie) are more interesting and likeable compared to the first Jurassic World.

The most noticeable improvement is that a much more capable and inspired director is at the helm. There is an attention to detail that just isn’t present in the first Jurassic World, thanks to Bayona.

There are several really captivating sequences. The dinosaur stampede sequence, when running from the Volcano is very well shot. There are moments that feel significantly claustrophobic and terrifying. The horror elements in the latter part of the film are all well crafted. The film feels like a return to the horror roots of the franchise, which I appreciate. The film is well shot, makes good use of shadows, etc.

The film at times  touches on interesting themes around science vs nature; the ethics of genetic engineering; etc.

The nods to the original are great (e.g. the awe of witnessing the Brachiosaurus; the girl attempting to shut the dumb waiter when it’s stuck a la the kitchen cupboard in Jurassic Park; the yellow rain jacket; the goat; raptor tapping on the floor; etc).

Lastly, the film, I think most successfully of any of the Jurassic Park sequels, makes it clear that dinosaurs are animals. They have existed, for real. The film paints an ethical or empathetic view of dinosaurs, and as a result much of what happens to them in action sequences and in the narrative feels more real and more like there is something at stake. And certainly by the end of the film, you get a clear sense that there are ultimately real consequences to having brought dinosaurs back.

Thus, while the film has a somewhat rudimentary script, there is something to admire about this movie (as far as action-adventure blockbusters go). It may be my favourite of the JP sequels. It brings back that original philosophical question posed in the original Jurassic Park, and it left me genuinely intrigued to see what happens in the next film (though I'm disappointed to read Trevorrow is back for the third Jurassic World).

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I definitely liked this more than JW

sure it has a lot of stupid moments (Pratt outrunning the volcano, the dino auction scene immediately come to mind) and annoying characters but it is really well directed with some genuinely thrilling and suspenseful scenes. The cinematography is gorgeous. Each shot is like a work of art. Awesome to see some new dinosaurs based on real dino's that actually existed. Something lacking from JW

I wish Bayona and his collaborators were returning for the next one 

Edited by John Marston

I still stand by that i was going to be the positive one about what i thought of this film. And actually......i wasn’t disappointed by this film in any means. I really enjoyed this one.....and i’m with Brainbug and some others on this film. Don’t really get the mass hate it gets from some people here.

Easily my favorite live action-blockbuster of June 2018.

I’m interested to see how JW3 will fair out in the entire JP-franchise.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Haha 1

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom features the first stylish direction the franchise has had since Spielberg’s films. Bayona gives some truly innovative setpieces and some gorgeous imagery that makes this one very pretty movie. Unfortunately, the script is horrendous, featuring countless unlikable characters and ridiculous changes within the story’s rules constantly.

It never feels like a Jurassic Park movie, never focusing on the wonder or joy characters experience, instead just feeding on the dread. It feels shockingly cynical in a way this franchise has never gone before. It doesn’t help this is a franchise that has never been built for direct sequels; seeing both Howard and Pratt willingly return to the island is weird in a lot of ways.

The cast is completely forgettable with the exception of Rafe Spall doing a hilarious Ryan Reynolds impression as the villain, and the visuals are what you’d expect from this franchise. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom may be a better made movie than I expected, but it’s still not that good, thanks to it completely blowing up what this franchise was about to make it something wholly generic instead. Meh. D-

I thought it wasn't too big of a step down from JW, there are some very dumb parts, but the first half I actually liked better than the JW (characters were less annoying). The second half has some interesting ideas but mostly feels cramped, and I didn't really enjoy the whole "mansion horror" stuff. Obviously none of the sequels have come close to Jurassic Park, but this one wasn't notably worse or anything. Don't really get why it sparked such ire online. 

I also agree with a lot of what was said in MikeQ's review above about the way in which dinosaurs were handled in this. 

Also the ending few minutes were awesome and are the reason that I'm excited for Dominion. 

B-

Edited by Menor Reborn