DeeCee

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

Grade it  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 6/20/2018 at 8:27 AM, DeeCee said:

-the ridiculous lowballing of the dinosaur prices. The bad guys go through all that effort for a payday less then what the Oceans 8 women made.

That's because the Ladies of O8 are amazing, brilliant, competent, and not complete idiots.  Unlike every single person in JWFK.  Except for Franklin, who was the only character I liked.  I thought his "I Don't Want To Be Here" Attitude was incredibly relatable.

• Disbelief 1

There are so many illogical moments of braindead stupidity that I don't know where to begin. On top of that, there's a real genuine mean streak to this movie in the way it shows off these dinosaurs getting tortured and killed, the worst of this being that awful Brachiosaurus sequence. That alone, a sequence attempting to elicit an emotional reaction and instead making me feel like shit for no reason, would have been enough to put this movie in my bad graces.

"They're alive, like me!" is the worst line of the year. Maybe ever.

F

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

For every pretty cool part there was oh god why part.

Also Franklin was a complete waste of space. A giant negative that no positive could ever zero out.

God yes. Everyone in this movie was varying degrees of obnoxious, but it took about 30 seconds of screen time for me to want to strangle him.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

That's because the Ladies of O8 are amazing, brilliant, competent, and not complete idiots.  Unlike every single person in JWFK.  Except for Franklin, who was the only character I liked.  I thought his "I Don't Want To Be Here" Attitude was incredibly relatable.

:apocalypse::gold:

Your opinions never fail to stun me.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:15 PM, Biggestgeekever said:

There are so many illogical moments of braindead stupidity that I don't know where to begin. On top of that, there's a real genuine mean streak to this movie in the way it shows off these dinosaurs getting tortured and killed, the worst of this being that awful Brachiosaurus sequence. That alone, a sequence attempting to elicit an emotional reaction and instead making me feel like shit for no reason, would have been enough to put this movie in my bad graces.

"They're alive, like me!" is the worst line of the year. Maybe ever.

F

God yes. Everyone in this movie was varying degrees of obnoxious, but it took about 30 seconds of screen time for me to want to strangle him.

So glad someone else feels this way.  This movie felt more like a hybrid of Hostel and Earthlings to me.  It was mean and nasty and it spent about an hour torturing the animals.  If I wanted to watch a film about assholes doing mean things to animals I'd watch a documentary like Earthlings or go on you-tube and look up Yulin Dog Festival.   I certainly don't want to see it in a film like this one.  Jurassic World was fun and light and funny and full of action and holy shit moments.  There's none of that in here.  It's sombre most of the time and the human beings in this are deplorable twats.  I almost left at one point.

Having said that there were some good things about it but they are eradicated by all the truly bad things.  It also doesn't work, imo, when you take the dinos off the island.  Part of the charm of the Jurassic series, imo, is Isla Nubar.  

Overall I felt like this was a massive misfire for the series.  Mean, ugly, nasty and egregious human characters really brought this down to me.

6/10

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

So glad someone else feels this way.  This movie felt more like a hybrid of Hostel and Earthlings to me.  It was mean and nasty and it spent about an hour torturing the animals.  If I wanted to watch a film about assholes doing mean things to animals I'd watch a documentary like Earthlings or go on you-tube and look up Yulin Dog Festival.   I certainly don't want to see it in a film like this one.  Jurassic World was fun and light and funny and full of action and holy shit moments.  There's none of that in here.  It's sombre most of the time and the human beings in this are deplorable twats.  I almost left at one point.

That's probably the thing that's sticking with me the most a couple of days after watching it. Whole thing is kinda nasty and mean-spirited towards the dinosaurs, and as someone who really likes the dinosaurs, it's not really a pleasant feeling.

The first movie treats the dinosaurs as these awe-inspiring creatures that deserve our fear and respect, and now they're throwing them off a cliff like a bunch of lemmings. I guess there's an argument that it reflects how we treat all things in nature but I don't think they pull that off at all and it just makes me feel bad.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

Having said that there were some good things about it but they are eradicated by all the truly bad things.  It also doesn't work, imo, when you take the dinos off the island.  Part of the charm of the Jurassic series, imo, is Isla Nubar.  

Overall I felt like this was a massive misfire for the series.  Mean, ugly, nasty and egregious human characters really brought this down to me.

6/10

You hated it? :whosad:

And how does it compare to TLW & JP3?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

That's probably the thing that's sticking with me the most a couple of days after watching it. Whole thing is kinda nasty and mean-spirited towards the dinosaurs, and as someone who really likes the dinosaurs, it's not really a pleasant feeling.

The first movie treats the dinosaurs as these awe-inspiring creatures that deserve our fear and respect, and now they're throwing them off a cliff like a bunch of lemmings. I guess there's an argument that it reflects how we treat all things in nature but I don't think they pull that off at all and it just makes me feel bad.

I too thought that there was kind of statement here about how we treat real animals and the Earth and nature and such.  But this is not the kind of movie to do it in.  I go to see a JW movie to be entertained and to laugh and to be awe struck at the dinosaurs.  As you said so astutely, the first film treated them with respect and now this film has them dying in lava and drowning (when the Brachiosaurus die at the pier, I cried.....when the Triceratops went over the cliff and couldn't keep his head above water, I cried).  And then it gets into the subjugation and torture of these beautiful animals.  Again, that's not what I want to see in a JW movie.  In the first JW, you had the funny stuff like the high heels, you had the awesome stuff like the motorcycle ride with the raptors and then you have the completely iconic stuff like the T-Rex chasing Claire in heels.  There's nothing like that here.  It's just poke prod electrocute shoot maim and kill.  I hated all of that stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

You hated it? :whosad:

And how does it compare to TLW & JP3?

I hated most of it.  There's some good stuff in it and part of the reason I hated it is because I can't watch animals being hurt.  The film spends about an hour doing this.  So I gave it a 6 out of 10.  But the more I think of it, it's a 5.  

I loved JP3 until the end.

Didn't care for TLW but it was head and shoulders better than this one.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I hated most of it.  There's some good stuff in it and part of the reason I hated it is because I can't watch animals being hurt.  The film spends about an hour doing this.  So I gave it a 6 out of 10.  But the more I think of it, it's a 5.  

I loved JP3 until the end.

Didn't care for TLW but it was head and shoulders better than this one.

Fair enough. BTW, what are your hopes for the next one? Since that is likely to come out in 2021?

Surely that could be better, right?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Eh, after they got captured I thought they were going to show the dinosaurs suffering a lot more than they actually did.  I was glad they didn’t completely go down that route.  Thought they did a good job at making it “darker” while still being fun.

It was still too much for me.  But everyone reacts to things in different ways.

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Fair enough. BTW, what are your hopes for the next one? Since that is likely to come out in 2021?

Surely that could be better, right?

I'd love to see Spielberg come back and direct the next one.

• Like 3

It was so much fun and amazing. Really loved Bayona work there, the camera movement a lot of it was with purpose and the long take was well choosen moment, the locations/production it felt a lot of time like they were shooting actual stuff (except the boat exterior and other a bit of shortcut).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

It was so much fun and amazing. Really loved Bayona work there, the camera movement a lot of it was with purpose and the long take was well choosen moment, the locations/production it felt a lot of time like they were shooting actual stuff (except the boat exterior and other a bit of shortcut).

And I can totally understand why many are enjoying it.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, baumer said:

And I can totally understand why many are enjoying it.  

Though im sad that you didnt find FK enjoyable, i do think you will like JW3. The possibilitys for an epic conclusion of the current trilogy are certainly there with FK's ending.

58 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Though im sad that you didnt find FK enjoyable, i do think you will like JW3. The possibilitys for an epic conclusion of the current trilogy are certainly there with FK's ending.

I like the series, a lot.  I am one of the few it seems, who likes JP3.  I just didn't like the tone of this one.  

This movie has a really dumb script. It reeks of studio notes (no wonder Grace Randolph loved it). The characters go to the island while it's erupting in lava hoping to do what exactly? Setting a dinosaur movie in a British mansion with a secret auction is lame. Most of the humor falls flat. The precocious little girl is annoying - you'll hope she dies. Jeff Goldblum shows up to spew the same warnings he did 25 years ago. After everything that happens BDH almost sets the dinosaurs free at the end, making you wish she'd get violently eaten alive. 

Bayona does what he can with a bad script and there are some fun setpieces. But it's soulless and forgettable. C

Before the movie I saw a trailer for yet another Spiderman movie. WTF. How many times will this fucking story be made and remade and remade again...and remade yet again? Now he's black! and animated! Enough. It's just some kid dressed up as a dumb spider swinging from buildings. There's not enough there to remake it every year. Fuck off already. 

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1