cannastop

The Top 100 Animated Films of all time, according to BOT, 2018 Edition PM List to chasmmi, Deadline September 23rd

3 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I agree with a lot of this, and it almost seems like the feel is whether Hollywood tells me the film is animated or not. 

Kubo and the Two Strings and Team america are both sold as animated films despite predominantly being films with cameras (and I will vote for them as animations). 

Avatar and The Jungle Book were not pushed in such a way therefore it (personally to me) feel ridiculous to vote for them as animations. Even if there is an ironclad argument for why they are,   

we can go deeper then, what does hollywood say animations are

here's the complete rules for the oscars

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/91aa_rules.pdf

RULE SEVEN SPECIAL RULES FOR THE ANIMATED FEATURE FILM AWARD
I. DE
1. DEFINITION
An animated film is defined as a motion picture in which movement and characters’ performances are
created using a frame-by-frame technique, and usually falls into one of the two general fields of
animation: narrative or abstract. Some of the techniques of animating films include but are not limited t
hand-drawn animation, computer animation, stop-motion, clay animation, pixilation, cutout animation,
pinscreen, camera multiple pass imagery, kaleidoscopic effects created frame-by-frame, and drawing on the film frame itself. Motion capture and real - time puppetry are not by themselves animation techniques. An animated short film has a running time of 40 minutes or less. An animated feature film has a running
time of more than 40 minutes. In an animated film, animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of
the picture's running time. In addition, a narrative animated film must have a significant number of the
major characters animated. If the picture is created in a cinematic style that could be mistaken for live
action, the filmmaker(s) must also submit information supporting how and why the picture is substantially
a work of animation rather than live action

Just now, IronJimbo said:

we can go deeper then, what does hollywood say animations are

here's the complete rules for the oscars

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/91aa_rules.pdf

RULE SEVEN SPECIAL RULES FOR THE ANIMATED FEATURE FILM AWARD
I. DE
1. DEFINITION
An animated film is defined as a motion picture in which movement and characters’ performances are
created using a frame-by-frame technique, and usually falls into one of the two general fields of
animation: narrative or abstract. Some of the techniques of animating films include but are not limited t
hand-drawn animation, computer animation, stop-motion, clay animation, pixilation, cutout animation,
pinscreen, camera multiple pass imagery, kaleidoscopic effects created frame-by-frame, and drawing on the film frame itself. Motion capture and real - time puppetry are not by themselves animation techniques. An animated short film has a running time of 40 minutes or less. An animated feature film has a running
time of more than 40 minutes. In an animated film, animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of
the picture's running time. In addition, a narrative animated film must have a significant number of the
major characters animated. If the picture is created in a cinematic style that could be mistaken for live
action, the filmmaker(s) must also submit information supporting how and why the picture is substantially
a work of animation rather than live action

Lol I broke BOT.. I'm not touching that post it's scary.

An animated feature film has a running time of more than 40 minutes. In an animated film, animation must figure in no less than 75% of the pictures running time.

By this definition Avatar is an animated feature film. Pretty much every live action scene in the film has green screen which get's animated cgi transposed.

Christ almighty, can we maybe not turn this thread into yet another fucking Avatar bitchfest? Seriously, unless we're referring to the vastly superior Airbender TV series here, Avatar is not an animated movie any more than the live-action Jungle Book remake is. It's a live-action movie starring mostly live-action actors with CGI that is designed to look like it's live-action because the filmmakers wanted the audience to see it as a live-action movie. And I'm pretty certain Cannastop was being sarcastic when they said it counted. Or at least I freaking hope so.

Anyway, to try and get this thread back on track, here are a few of my FYC's for people to check out before the deadline.

movieposter.jpg

Long Way North

Legit my favourite movie of 2016. This story of a Russian girl on an expedition to find her grandfather at the North Pole reminds me of the Disney Renaissance at its best (minus the annoying comic relief that those movies often had). In spite of, or perhaps thanks to its simplistic animation, it looks absolutely gorgeous and is definitely worth a watch.

91oHTHwBIUL._SY445_.jpg

In This Corner of the World

Imagine if Grave of Fireflies was also a slice-of-life. That's this movie and it also works so much better than I ever thought possible, melding both aspects perfectly into a sum that's greater than its parts. And all without undermining either the pleasantness or its heavy emotional drama involved. My 3rd favourite movie of 2017.

(I'd also recommend my No 1 favourite of 2017, The Night is Short, Walk on Girl, which I only didn't include here because it's a lot more quirky and probably more of an acquired taste.)

king_mockingbird.jpg

The King and the Mockingbird

Legit the movie that inspired Studio Ghibli (or at least Hayao Miyazaki and the late, great Isao Takahata). And trust me when I say its influence on their movies is clear. The beautiful, yet haunting atmosphere, gorgeous backgrounds, it all feels like Ghibli before there was ever a Ghibli. Definitely needs more love.

Also, just throwing in a blanket mention of every movie by Satoshi Kon. Y'all know why. Mamoru Hosoda too. I still need to watch more Makoto Shinkai movies, but he's worth checking out as well.

Oh, and @cannastop , just wondering, is there a rule against basically just C&Ping your list from the BFI Screen Guide's Top 100 Animated Feature Films list? Just asking for a friend.

• Like 6

Haven't done full list yet but here is a taster, my top 15. Of course I only consider those films made by the House of Mouse. No other animations are relevant.

1. The Little Mermaid 3: Ariel's Beginning (2008)

2. The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride (1998)

3. Aladdin 3: Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1996)

4. The Jungle Book (2016)

5. Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time (2007)

6. Tarzan 2: The Legend Begins (2005)

7. Aladdin 2: The Return of Jafar (1994)

8. Buzz Lightyear: Star Command (2000)

9. Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005)

10. The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea (2000)

11. The Lion King 1.5 (2004)

12. Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Magical World (1998)

13. Mulan II (2004)

14. 101 Dalmatians 2: Patch's London Adventure (2003)

15. Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure (2001)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

That's fine.

Great. I'm sure a certain 'scholarly' user on here is breathing a deep sigh of relief. 

Also, just to shut this crap down once and for all, can you confirm that, like Who Killed Roger Rabbit, Avatar won't be counted as an animated movie on this list? For the sake of all our sanity?

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

Also, just to shut this crap down once and for all, can you confirm that, like Who Killed Roger Rabbit, Avatar won't be counted as an animated movie on this list? For the sake of all our sanity?

OK, it's not eligible. I haven't actually watched it, so it was foolish of me to let it through at first.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

91oHTHwBIUL._SY445_.jpg

In This Corner of the World

Imagine if Grave of Fireflies was also a slice-of-life. That's this movie and it also works so much better than I ever thought possible, melding both aspects perfectly into a sum that's greater than its parts. And all without undermining either the pleasantness or its heavy emotional drama involved. My 3rd favourite movie of 2017.

I've seen this and I can confirm that the film is extremely well done. It is available on Google Play, and I highly suggest that people watch it. It'll be on my list as well.

FYC:

The Plague Dogs Poster

From the director who made the very good Watership Down there is this even better film which shamefully missed the top 150 entirely last time, hopefully that mistake is corrected this time.

Wolf Children Poster

One of the greatest animations ever was in an absurdly low 125th place last time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Oh, and @cannastop , just wondering, is there a rule against basically just C&Ping your list from the BFI Screen Guide's Top 100 Animated Feature Films list? Just asking for a friend.

That list includes Avatar though, and I thought that wasn't an animated film? Also who has done that? Could you point me to them? 

19 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

That list includes Avatar though, and I thought that wasn't an animated film? 

It isn't. And neither is the 1933 King Kong. The BFI had their reasons for including it, but it's still mainly a live-action film or at the very least a hybrid which, as mentioned in the rules at the beginning of this thread, is not allowed.

19 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Also who has done that? Could you point me to them? 

_329-11-1007_mirror_.jpg

(I mean, I give you credit for being smart enough to replace the one 1917 lost film that you physically couldn't have seen, but it wasn't exactly difficult to figure out.)

39 minutes ago, Tower said:

Wolf Children Poster

One of the greatest animations ever was in an absurdly low 125th place last time.

All of my yes for this.

Edited by rukaio101

4 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

(I mean, I give you credit for being smart enough to replace the one 1917 lost film that you physically couldn't have seen, but it still wasn't exactly difficult to figure out once I saw King Kong up there.)

While I certainly agree with the large number of the films listed by the BFI (which I'm glad you have decided you have a better working definition of 'animated film' than), my list is different in both order, and also in my other than El Apóstol (which you can actually find a type of 'recreation' of online, but it's pretty low quality), there were a couple of glaring omissions on there to my mind. Although like I said, while my list contains similar content it is neither the same in ranking, nor in content. Nice try though! Maybe pay a little more attention next time. 

• Like 1

@cannastop will you be excluding those directors/artists who use reference images to an extraordinary degree from the list as 'hybrids'? 

I know that Makoto Shinkai as one example uses photographs that he takes and basically draws over the top of them for most of his backgrounds, not dissimilar to the use of mo-cap in other animated movies. 

I think it will actually be very interesting to see a proper definition around this. 

EDIT: Toy Story 3 also used mocap, is that another hybrid? 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

While I certainly agree with the large number of the films listed by the BFI (which I'm glad you have decided you have a better working definition of 'animated film' than), my list is different in both order, and also in my other than El Apóstol (which you can actually find a type of 'recreation' of online, but it's pretty low quality), there were a couple of glaring omissions on there to my mind. Although like I said, while my list contains similar content it is neither the same in ranking, nor in content. Nice try though! Maybe pay a little more attention next time. 

Congratulations. You had the common sense not to post the entire list in alphabetical order and/or to swap out maybe one or two movies. 97 out of 100 still tells a pretty obvious tale though.

• Like 1

Let's try not to argue to over the toply over the semantics. :)

There is an interesting topic to be said about what is and what isn't animation these days and at the end of the day it will likely be in the eye of the beholder. 

They'll always be odd things like Polar Express, that weird film where they coloured in a live action film essentially (I forget the name) and so on. 

I think at the end of the day, voters will make those decisions for themselves. If there are 45 people wanting to vote and 42 of them feel that Team America is animation and they want to vote for it, it will find its way on the list. If all 45 people love Team America but disagree puppets are animation then it won't make the list. 

First though, we need 45 people... 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, rukaio101 said:

Congratulations. You had the common sense not to post the entire list in alphabetical order and/or to swap out maybe one or two movies. 97 out of 100 still tells a pretty obvious tale though.

Your inability to discern non-identical lists is more telling. It casts your entire ability to parse basic information into doubt. 

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

Let's try not to argue to over the toply over the semantics. :)

There is an interesting topic to be said about what is and what isn't animation these days and at the end of the day it will likely be in the eye of the beholder. 

They'll always be odd things like Polar Express, that weird film where they coloured in a live action film essentially (I forget the name) and so on. 

I think at the end of the day, voters will make those decisions for themselves. If there are 45 people wanting to vote and 42 of them feel that Team America is animation and they want to vote for it, it will find its way on the list. If all 45 people love Team America but disagree puppets are animation then it won't make the list. 

First though, we need 45 people... 

I agree, can we then agree that Avatar should be allowed on the list? 

I think the movie you may be thinking of is A Scanner Darkly, which is rotoscoped on top of live action, which per the all knowing rukaio101's omniscience is another ineligible hybrid, although it is clearly defined as an animated film.