cannastop

The Top 100 Animated Films of all time, according to BOT, 2018 Edition PM List to chasmmi, Deadline September 23rd

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

@cannastop will you be excluding those directors/artists who use reference images to an extraordinary degree from the list as 'hybrids'? 

I know that Makoto Shinkai as one example uses photographs that he takes and basically draws over the top of them for most of his backgrounds, not dissimilar to the use of mo-cap in other animated movies. 

I think it will actually be very interesting to see a proper definition around this. 

EDIT: Toy Story 3 also used mocap, is that another hybrid? 

Yes those would be fine because they're not live action. They may use live-action images/objects as a base, but they're still drawings/CG. Avatar uses literal live-action actors and sets for significant portions of the movie. Hence why it's not going to count.

Just now, chasmmi said:

@JamesCameronScholar @rukaio101  can we try to be a little more civil. 

Let's not send a simple top 100 thread off the deep end. 

I'm only asking for clarification of what the criteria are for inclusion in the list. 

Does A Scanner Darkly count as an animated film when it defines itself to be so? Is Coraline ineligible because it is at root live action? Why do so many people seem to have a problem with Avatar? 

4 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Yes those would be fine because they're not live action. They may use live-action images/objects as a base, but they're still drawings/CG. Avatar uses literal live-action actors and sets for significant portions of the movie. Hence why it's not going to count.

The rule states: 

Movies must be mostly animation, so no hybrids are counted.

By most counts Avatar is somewhere between 60 and 80 percent CG, which makes it mostly animation. Unless you're saying any movie with any live action is not eligible for the list? 

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'm only asking for clarification of what the criteria are for inclusion in the list. 

Does A Scanner Darkly count as an animated film when it defines itself to be so? Is Coraline ineligible because it is at root live action? Why do so many people seem to have a problem with Avatar? 

At the end of the day, it is Cannastop's list. If they decide that for some mad reason Avengers is animated and Snow White isn't then them's the rules. 

It's probably best to wait for a reply from them when they come back on line than fill another 4 pages with arguments that need to be scanned through. 

36 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Lmao and at first glance I actually thought JCS had developed some personal taste. Not sure why he didn't go with the 100 highest grossing animated films of all time though, his brand is getting inconsistent

he consistently makes a fool of anti-pandoran Rukaio which I love him for

LIST INBOUND 15 MINS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The rule states: 

By most counts Avatar is somewhere between 60 and 80 percent CG, which makes it mostly animation. Unless you're saying any movie with any live action is not eligible for the list? 

Not going to quibble about the precise definition and purpose of 'animation' here (although I very easily could), but by your own admission Avatar is around 1/3 live-action? That seems pretty hybrid-y to me.

Also, presumably, the live-action rule was included so it wouldn't disqualify animated movies with a very short live-action moment and/or scene like The Lego Movie that is still primarily an animation. 1/3rd of the movie is not a short moment or scene.

21 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Give me a break. You're doing the exact same shit you did in the Top 100 All Time Movies thread and trying to gaslight your way into getting Avatar on the list. Nobody else here needs the very precise definition of animation explained back to them. Nobody else here (aside from the Cameron fanatics) has any problems understanding that Avatar isn't an animated movie. So give us all a break with the fake concern.

16 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

At the end of the day, it is Cannastop's list. If they decide that for some mad reason Avengers is animated and Snow White isn't then them's the rules. 

It's probably best to wait for a reply from them when they come back on line than fill another 4 pages with arguments that need to be scanned through. 

Not for nothing, but I'm entirely on board with you cleaning out all this shit and dumping it in the Avatar thread where it belongs (or at the very least a separate thread). Canna already made their decision that Avatar didn't count on Page 3. That should be the end of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Not going to quibble about the precise definition and purpose of 'animation' here (although I very easily could), but by your own admission Avatar is around 1/3 live-action? That seems pretty hybrid-y to me.

Again your reading comprehension comes into question, it's probably somewhere between 1/5 or 1/4 live action depending on where you look. Again I would assume mostly to mean that something is majority CG (or over 50%) which Avatar is. 

A precise definition stops confusion like this, and we both know you don't have a definition of animation that isn't going to attempt to exclude Avatar for whatever your own personal vendetta against the movie is, while at the same time letting something like Toy Story 3 or A Scanner Darkly in. 

• Like 1

Turns out I seen around 150 animated features so I decided to only do a top 75 because otherwise I'm just listing films I've seen.

In order.

1. Avatar
Spirted Away
Grave of the fireflies
princess mononoke
Castle in the sky
akira
The Lion King
howl's moving castle
ghost in the shell
my neighbor totoro
Snow White
Toy Story
The Nightmare Before Christmas
kikis delivery service
Nausicaa of the valley of the wind
Frozen
end of evangelion
Pinocchio
alladin
your name
alita ova
Sleeping Beauty
The Little Mermaid
Toy Story 2
Shrek
Peter Pan
The Jungle Book
Pocahontas
coraline
paprika
DBZ The history of trunks
pokemon
Kubo and the two strings
Arrietty
Robin Hood
Mulan
stranger with a sword
Zootopia
Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
A Bug's Life
A Christmas Carol
Coco
redline
perfect blue
Hercules
Cinderella
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
southpark movie
Shrek 2
a silent voice
5cm a second
FF7 advent children
FF the spirits within
DBZ Resurrection
GANTZ:O
DBZ battle of gods
Bambi
Lady and the Tramp
Finding Nemo
Antz
vampire hunter d
Tarzan
summer wars
Kingsglaive FF15
The Sword in the Stone
The Aristocats
Monster, Inc.
simpsons movie
the boy and the beast
The Lego Movie
up
Mounter House

75. Inside out (barely made it)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

He said no hybrids allowed.  Avatar has CGI mixed in with real world environments, thus making it a hybrid.  Case closed.  Go home.  It's not fucking animation.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Holy fucking shit can you shut the fuck up and stop turning every thread into an Avatar thread?

I've tried to stop him but he continuously has a problem with Avatar being included in lists (and strict definitions apparently). If @cannastop had stuck with his original judgement there would be no reason for any of the last few pages to even exist. 

He said no hybrids allowed.  Avatar has CGI mixed in with real world environments, thus making it a hybrid.  Case closed.  Go home.  It's not fucking animation.

RIP spongebob movie you will be missed

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A good majority of Spongebob is animation, there's the one Hasselhoff scene which takes up about 20% of the movie (maybe less) but by the Academy's standards it should qualify.

If we're going by the Academy definition then Avatar should qualify too then... I'm confused again. 

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A good majority of Spongebob is animation, there's the one Hasselhoff scene which takes up about 20% of the movie (maybe less) but by the Academy's standards it should qualify.

I posted the Academy thing and it said 75% of the film most contain animation, not that 75% of the film is completely animated. That definition the Academy uses includes scenes like Quaritch in his AMP suit within Hell's gate.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 8:04 AM, cannastop said:

Movies must be mostly animation, so no hybrids are counted.

Mostly animation.  I want you to time all the sequences of Avatar where there is only CGI on screen.  It can only be a scene where nothing but CGI is shown, if there are real world environments being displayed then it doesn't count.  If they total at least 51%, it counts.  If you don't want to spend time doing this shit to prove a (nonexistent) point, then fuck off.

• Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I posted the Academy thing and it said 75% of the film most contain animation, not that 75% of the film is completely animated. That definition the Academy uses includes scenes like Quaritch in his AMP suit within Hell's gate.

I think it would also exclude Team America, which was stated to be okay in the opening posts. 

• Like 1

Mostly animation.  I want you to time all the sequences of Avatar where there is only CGI on screen.  It can only be a scene where nothing but CGI is shown, if there are real world environments being displayed then it doesn't count.  If they total at least 51%, it counts.  If you don't want to spend time doing this shit to prove a (nonexistent) point, then fuck off.

Don't need to: http://avatarblog.typepad.com/avatar-blog/2010/05/learn-about-the-different-special-effects-used-in-the-making-of-avatar-the-movie-.html 

Official source clearly states: 

Did you know that the movie is comprised of 25 to 40 percent traditional live action, a more or less unprecedented percentage?

That means even at the most liberal end of the estimate 60% of the movie is CG, so it's greater than 51%. I'm glad you're now on our side TOG. 

• Like 1