baumer

The Incredibles 2 (2018)

Grade it  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just got out of this. I really enjoyed it, but it is missing some of the magic that made the first film, well, incredible (pun intended). Jack-Jack steals the show, obviously. The family dynamic continues to distinguish it from other superhero films (Fantastic Four take notes). The opening action scene was everything I wanted since the 1st film ended. 

Placing Mr. Incredible in the family caretaker role was a great idea as it creates development for him, but even his development pales in comparison to the first film. Unfortunately, the rest don't get the development they needed. Elastic Girl/Woman is the focus of main plot, like Mr. Incredible was, yet doesn't change much throughout the film. Violet retreads her development from the 1st movie, though I like when she takes the inquisitive, leader role. Dash is wasted aside from comedic scenes. 

The villain is lackluster compared to Syndrome. God, Syndrome was such a great villain because he was a meta statement on lame super villains and sidekicks. His relationship with Mr. Incredible helped to establish the hatred he has for supers in general. The villain here feels too formulaic without the meta commentary. There's never a moment where the villain posed a threat or there plan was gonna work. Their plan didn't even make sense if you think about it. And yes, they do have a monologue scene. In fact, the conflict in the story is almost non-existent. There's a lot of interesting ideas in the 1st act without pay-off later on. 

What I loved from the 1st was the sense of progression and discovery with their power, particularly from the kids. There's no scene where Dash realizes he can run on water or when Violet understands the power of her force fields. Yeah Jack-Jack more than makes up for it with his random, spontaneous power-set, but it doesn't have the sense of wonder and triumph from the kids before. 

As the film winded down, I had the feeling that it hadn't kicked it into 3rd gear. The final action set piece felt like a 2nd act scene you'd find in a Marvel film. When the scene ended, I thought, "That was it?" The ending pales in comparison to the 1st as well.

Honestly, as cliched as big world ending threats go, that would've been better than the minimal threat the villain posed. It's just needed something more. That's like my main thought after watching it. 

I'm trying not to rag on it because I still really enjoyed it and smiled and laughed throughout the movie, but it doesn't hit the height of the first film. Still recommend it. 7.5/10.

[Mod Edit:Moved from main thread]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is the second movie I've seen this year that felt very awkward with some of it's arrangement. It's as if little segments of each story were tossed around and they didn't want to spend too long on one plotline as if people would forget about the rest of the family.

I also feel that some characters started the beginning of an arc...and then the resolution was about a completely different moral, for lack of a better word.

None of that is enough to ruin what was a long-awaited enjoyment. B

This is more straight up superheroics/suburban family stuff than the first film, and the villain is nowhere near as good as Syndrome. You can see the identity of the "mystery villain" mile away.

That being said, just because its more on the superhero side of things doesnt make it any less entertaining. 

The action sequences are absolutely jaw-dropping (train chase and Screenslaver's hideouts being technical marvels!!!) and we get to see more of Helen/Violet this time around.

Great stuff.

A

I will post my more in-depth review tomorrow or Saturday after re-watching it.

I saw the film yesterday at the Double Feature Event and it was great! Still prefer the first to this, however only by a small margin (This may in part be due to watching it directly after the first film). This movie while having a good amount of cliches, had many mature aspects to make up for them and most importantly situations ANY family can relate to, in regards to the parents' relationship and the relationship between Bob and the kids (specifically Violet who goes through boy trouble). It was very realistic and gave me a warm feeling. On a side note, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Violet in this film. She's really matured some, especially in regards to her powers.

Other than that, the movie is HI-LARIOUS, funnier than the first, and the first was very funny. Jack-Jack and Edna provide the most laughter with Bob providing a good amount of laughs as well. And the action! Breathtaking! I got chills at multiple occasions watching them. The way they use Elastigirl's elasticity is BEAUTIFUL and the same goes with Violet. I like the realism at the fact that Elastigirl accidentally destroyed her bike, proving that yes, she's bad-ass, but also messes up ;)

Evelyn, I guessed as the villain due to Disney's popular "Red Heron" formula where the more obvious choice for a villain (Winston, a powerful, rich man) is not the villain and the villain is really someone associated with him personally, namely Evelyn. She wasn't too bad as a whole as she was brilliantly voiced and designed and I noticed something VERY interesting that is sublte. When Elastigirl was saving her from falling into the sea, she kicked her off, signifying the TRUE PRIDE she had for herself and her negative view on supers and that she'd rather die than be saved by one. She likely wanted to die, and maybe for other reasons like wanting to reunite with her deceased relatives. Surprisingly dark.  Speaking of dark, I loved how Elastigirl literally "kills" Evelyn by ejecting her from the plane, however it is very likely that she was critically thinking and knew the plane's high altitude allowed her time to do what she needs to do before saving her from death. I liked that, because at first, I thought "Wow, Elastigirl intentially KILLING someone?" but then in a small twist, her intent seemed to not be killing, but instead saving herself time. But, it could also be that Elastigirl really did intend on killing Evelyn but later changed her mind as she didn't want to be what Evelyn portrayed supers as (Evelyn's dad or mom was killed by a super). However I prefer the first idea because I just high-stress thinking. So haha I know I'm commenting on very small, subtle things from the film but I have a habit of doing that! 

Also, come on, after watching the ending, you can't say that they won't make a third film, like they HAVE to. They literally end it similar to the first with them preparing to fight new crime. The film makers and Bird must have been thinking of a third film while creating that scene. They have to have. 

Just please....I don't want wait until I'm 32 to watch the third film (I'm 18). I'm good with a solid 6 years. I actually believe the third film could be the BEST of the bunch because this film really felt like an middle chapter and extension of the first one. 

A+ (9/10)

Edited by Arlo245
  • Like 1

Solid work, gorgeous animation, phenomenal theme.  I thought the plot felt predictable and safe (even for a kids movie) - yet, yet -- I can dismiss all that because the character work is top-notch.  There are some wonderful quiet moments in this movie.  Also, the action was AAAAWESOME.  Overall, I was charmed.  

A/A-

First time I walked out of the theater this year and thought "Yeah, I could have waited." The 95% RT score drew me in though.

I completely predicted the outline of this plot from the first trailer and it never strayed once from it.
A) Movie opens with a set piece of the family fighting some threat.
B ) Something happens that causes the family to separate and Elastigirl takes center stage as Bob stays at home with the kids.
C) Finally, the family has to come together with Frozone at the very end because Elastigirl takes on a threat that is too much for just her to handle or gets captured. 

Called it months ago and hoped there would be more in the actual film but there really wasn't.

The moments when the family were all together were great but they didn't last long. And it's amazing how much merchandise Disney has with them in stores in those iconic uniforms when they wear them for maybe 10 minutes of this movie.

Guessed the villain would either be the dude who hired Elastigirl or the sister right when they came on screen. Helen is a really bad detective.

Also didn't understand why Mr. Incredible and Frozone didn't come out of hiding after Elastigirl was all over the TV and the brother had all those side heroes meet her. Or why using Elastigirl was crucial to the sisters plan in the first place unless the government and public had a record of all the other damage collateral caused by each family member.

It was fun and there were some good comedic moments with Jack Jack but it's one of those Pixar sequels that I'll forget about in a few days just like Finding Dory.

Really wanted more moments of the whole family together and didn't get much. Also thought the animation was a step down from Coco but the scene where Elastigirl fought the villain (I've already forgotten it's name - Screen something) in the cage was really cool.

B

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

I loved it.  I watched the first one the night before, and this one kicks off right where the first ended.  It's absorbing, hilarious, relateable and it left me feelings like I was a kid when I first watched the original.  The action was exciting, the characters all had their moments to shine, it's the best animation since at least Zootopia, maybe since Inside Out

A

• Like 1

A lot of fun but nowhere near as good as the first movie.  Also, not nearly as big in terms of scale as the first Incredibles.  It the first film was the special, two hour premiere of a new TV series, I2 would be the first regular hour long episode, still above average but lacking that magic and excitement.

Having sat on it for a day, I think it overall works pretty well and is a worthy successor to the first film. Violet was surprisingly a big standout for me, and the action set-pieces were incredibly well done. It's not as strong from a thematic standpoint (I think the net it tries to cast is too wide? I'm not sure, but it could have used a bit more focus), but there's still a lot to love about these characters and this universe. So happy it's doing well.

B+

Maybe hot take: BAO is a top 5 pixar short for me. Extremely hilarious and touching.

• Like 2

Bao: Best Pixar short since... Presto? Maybe?

The most pure fun I've had at a movie theater all year.

(Also, I thought it was super neat when Evelyn is in the plane and she has the oxygen mask on, the mask looks exactly like Screenslaver's)

• Like 1

A ton of fun and very much a sequel to the classic original movie despite the passage of almost 14 years, even though this is missing some of the spark (plus the emotional heft found in Pixar's best works). But it's often very funny (that episode between Jack Jack and the racoon had me howling), the animation is great, and the family dynamics (especially the change-up here by making Mr. Incredible a stay-at-home dad while Elastigirl goes out to save the day) allow these movies to be more relatable than most animated movies are. B+

The short before the movie (Bao) was fantastic.

Edited by filmlover

Just as good the second time, my only real flaw with the film is the villain and stakes are definitely lacking compared to the first movie.  But the film is so fun that this feels pretty minor.

Jack Jack is a star, he takes cutesy hilarity of characters like Scrat or Minions except isn’t obnoxiously annoying.  

The animation itself self is a gorgeous blend of realistic environments combined with a classic Saturday morning cartoon feel.  It’s really good

Edited by The Incredible Panda

There’s a section in this where Elastigirl and Mr Incredible argue about the illegality of superheroes and I found that bit actually fairly timely, given the argument was should an unjust law still be respected, despite being unjust.

Theres arguments over the exact same thing, only instead of superheros, it’s immigrants.  Idk how intentional of a parallel that is, but it’s there.  There’s certainly other issues that the bit could parallel to, but that’s the one that came to mind.

It managed to cover a lot of the major points people actually argue about.  Such as “Well, it’s illegal so it’s wrong!”, and “But the law’s not right, so why should we be teaching our kids to follow something that isn’t right?”  It’s nice too that the movie ended up siding with the latter argument.

• Like 1