sfran43

Monday's Numbers 23.9...eeeerrrr...24.1 according to Forbes

Last year there were 33 films to make 100 million at the domestic box office.  I think that's the record.  I wonder how many films will hit it this year.  Once WIT is fudged to 100 million, that will make 10.  O8 is going to be 11.  We still have half the year left but it doesn't seem like 33 is attainable this year.

3 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

Hereditary was supposed to implode after a good opening night. Or am I missing something? 

It's so bad people are checking it out to see what is so bad about it.  

Dory was helped by a weak June/July slate, don't think any notable competition came out until Pets the next month. I can see I2 falling slightly short of that multi, 3.3-3.5x or so. With 3.5x it would barely miss 650. 

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Last year there were 33 films to make 100 million at the domestic box office.  I think that's the record.  I wonder how many films will hit it this year.  Once WIT is fudged to 100 million, that will make 10.  O8 is going to be 11.  We still have half the year left but it doesn't seem like 33 is attainable this year.

Record is 35 from 2013. 36 is the number needed each year in Blankments 100M thread :) and i agree its not gonna happen next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Most years for the past decade if we are being honest. 

Those calling for superhero fatigue to set in are actually calling for a collapse of the industry. Not saying movies will stop, I'm saying it'll be like a big recession hits and trickles down through Hollywood. All the TV shows, cartoons, gaming etc will be affected if people actually en masse lose their taste for superhero fare. 

The industry wouldn't collapse if people's tastes changed, it'd just adapt. Wouldn't necessarily be bad, either. Last time it happened we got New Hollywood

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Record is 35 from 2013. 36 is the number needed each year in Blankments 100M thread :) and i agree its not gonna happen next year.

Amazing that in 2013, the box office was much more evenly distributed. No film made 500 mill and only four made more than 300.  And yet there were 35 films that took in 100 million. Pretty impressive.  where as this year there will be 3 films to break 600 million and at least five to make 300 million.  And yet we might not have 30 films make it to 100 million.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The industry wouldn't collapse if people's tastes changed, it'd just adapt. Wouldn't necessarily be bad, either. Last time it happened we got New Hollywood

The industry had to semi-collapse first for New Hollywood to emerge. 1966 was I believe a very low grossing year and spelled the end of the big studio movies that previously dominated the box office.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

Out of the 33 movies that made $100m last year, 15 were released in the first half. Include JW2 and 2018 will have 12.

Edit: Miscounted the initial number.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

I suppose if 2018 is the dominance of superhero movies, next year will be the death of superhero movies... you have:

The Avengers, Captain Marvel, Spiderman and Wonder Woman (the rest of her league abandoned her)... 

vs

Gojira, Elsa, Maverick, James Bond, Woody & Buzz, Pikachu, Emmet Brickowski, Toothless, Dumbo, Aladdin and Simba's Pride, Secret Pets, Dwayne Johnson's Fast and Furious, the clown from It, oh and Star Wars too.

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Well, I count a possible 26 more films with the potential to hit 100 million.  Not sure if it will happen, but it's at least possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I suppose if 2018 is the dominance of superhero movies, next year will be the death of superhero movies... you have:

The Avengers, Captain Marvel, Spiderman and Wonder Woman (the rest of her league abandoned her)... 

vs

Gojira, Elsa, Maverick, James Bond, Woody & Buzz, Pikachu, Emmet Brickowski, Toothless, Dumbo, Aladdin and Simba's Pride, Secret Pets, Dwayne Johnson's Fast and Furious, the clown from It, oh and Star Wars too.

Last year people said that 2018 would be the death of the super hero movie and yet here we are with 5 super hero movies opening within a 5-6 month of one another and dominating the box office :thinking:

2019 won’t be any different. The only difference is The Lion King will be in the mix as the non super hero movie. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1