sfran43

Monday's Numbers 23.9...eeeerrrr...24.1 according to Forbes

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's having polarizing word-of-mouth more than anything else.

Which seems to actually be helping the legs since I think people want to find out for themselves after hearing both extremely negative and extremely positive reactions form people. 

Maybe not unlike a certain other film I'm not allowed to mention anymore (self-imposed lol). 

17 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Same. I assumed it would fizzle out like It Comes At Night or something, but instead it's been having a decent run for a low budget "slow burn artsy horror film". I'm more then pleased with it though. It's a great film, and it deserves to make as much as money it can. Plus it means more A24 horror films, and that can only be a good thing. 

Poor The Futurist.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Hereditary is leaving 2/3 theaters by me this weekend vs only one for Solo and Deadpool. It'll be interesting to see how the TCs stack up.

It's getting cut down to two shows starting this weekend at my theater as well.

maybe the legs aren't so bad on hereditary because it's not really the "artsy horror film" that people were trying to paint it as. it's a little slower than your average conjuring but it's pretty straightforward. futurist kept complaining about it being "subversive" and i was just thinking "where though? how though?"

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe the legs aren't so bad on hereditary because it's not really the "artsy horror film" that people were trying to paint it as. it's a little slower than your average conjuring but it's pretty straightforward. futurist kept complaining about it being "subversive" and i was just thinking "where though? how though?"

Yeah, it's a strange movie but I'm not surprised it didn't become another mother! (a challenging film where the detractors drowned out the supporters and everyone else stayed away as a result) like a lot of people thought it would.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I definitely think it’s the most mainstream of A24s horror films yet.

Im just judging by some of crowds reaction to the movie, which I guess was pretty anecdotal of me.  It seemed like some people really weren’t responding well to the ending

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Out of the twenty minutes I saw yesterday before getting a refund because of that goddamn baby, there were already multiple spooky moments that happened. Unless the movie just suddenly stopped being supernatural until the third act, idk how people could just be calling it a simple drama.

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I've thought for a few years that 2018-19 would be the peak of superhero movies, and I see no reason not to stick to that. They won't disappear obviously but I certainly hope the new decade will be defined by something different (and more interesting). 

A 24 is the future.

5 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Westerns are a much narrower genre than SH movies tbh. You can vary the tone somewhat but aesthetically you pretty much have the same stuff in most Westerns - horses, desert/mountain landscape, gunfights, a tavern, etc. They're mostly set in post-Civil War America with very few exceptions and they mostly star men who don't talk a lot. At a certain point, that was going to get old cause there's only so much you can change about the genre before it's not even a Western anymore.

SH movies can look like The Incredibles, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Dark Knight, Deadpool, Wonder Woman, Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok, Aquaman, etc. You can change the time period, the character traits, or the planet even.

Superhero is not a genre.

Someday, people will make their peace with that simple fact.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I've thought for a few years that 2018-19 would be the peak of superhero movies, and I see no reason not to stick to that. They won't disappear obviously but I certainly hope the new decade will be defined by something different (and more interesting). 

I don't think they're going anywhere.  They're gonna dominate the big budget studios for a long time.  We'll still get some mid-level budget movies and the rare big budget ones like Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049, but I'm willing to bet a lot of the bigger "higher art" or whatever you want to call it is gonna go to TV and streaming services.  Game of Thrones has gotten huge with 10-20m dollars per episode with spinoffs in development and now Amazon is gonna into production on that 1+ billion dollar(which is utterly insane for a TV show) Middle Earth series with 5 seasons.

Kinda funny that I thought about today, but for the past 4 summers, a June movie has come out of nowhere, over performing most predictions to become the number 1 movie of the summer, ahead of what many people thought to be a May film that would win the summer. 

2015 - Jurassic World over Age of Ultron

2016 - Finding Dory over Civil War... and yes I will admit there were probably osme people who predicted this, there were ''CW over 500 or 600M'' that weren't all BKB

2017 - Wonder Woman over GOTG2

2018 - Incredilbes 2 over... I guess this May didn't have too much competition, but it still technically did out-gross everything in May. If it can beat IW, which I say is highly unlikely if not impossible, this would get interesting. But as it stands, a June movie this year will out-gross every May picture.

2019... if only TLK were coming out in June

• Like 2

Disney passes $2 Billion DOM for the year on Monday, that must be some kind of land speed record.

That's also four straight $2B+ DOM years for Disney. 

Since 2000, a $2B DOM year has only been done three other times - WB last year and in 2009, and Universal in 2015. That's it. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1