sfran43

Monday's Numbers 23.9...eeeerrrr...24.1 according to Forbes

42 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Kinda funny that I thought about today, but for the past 4 summers, a June movie has come out of nowhere, over performing most predictions to become the number 1 movie of the summer, ahead of what many people thought to be a May film that would win the summer. 

2015 - Jurassic World over Age of Ultron

2016 - Finding Dory over Civil War... and yes I will admit there were probably osme people who predicted this, there were ''CW over 500 or 600M'' that weren't all BKB

2017 - Wonder Woman over GOTG2

2018 - Incredilbes 2 over... I guess this May didn't have too much competition, but it still technically did out-gross everything in May. If it can beat IW, which I say is highly unlikely if not impossible, this would get interesting. But as it stands, a June movie this year will out-gross every May picture.

2019... if only TLK were coming out in June

Finding dory didn’t beat civil war worldwide and neither did Wonder Woman beat GOTG worldwide. At an age when most box office grosses come from overseas some people are acting as if we are in the eighties when comparing films.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Ugh.. wtf that Infinity War drop?

Perspective. It was one of two films to increase on Sunday.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Disney passes $2 Billion DOM for the year on Monday, that must be some kind of land speed record.

That's also four straight $2B+ DOM years for Disney. 

Since 2000, a $2B DOM year has only been done three other times - WB last year and in 2009, and Universal in 2015. That's it. 

With a pretty consistent 1B from Marvel Studios every year it will pretty hard for Disney to ever miss 2B again.

22 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Finding dory didn’t beat civil war worldwide and neither did Wonder Woman beat GOTG worldwide. At an age when most box office grosses come from overseas some people are acting as if we are in the eighties when comparing films.

Should I have said 'domestically', I would have thought it was implied. 

And to be fair, a HUGE portion of Wonder Woman, GOTG, Dory etc worldwide grosses came from domestic. This isn't transformers or warcraft we're talking about

• Like 2

Decent for I2, it could have gone worse than the Star Wars films in December.  But historically, I2 should have been half off of either Friday or Sunday and since they were both equal 25-26 million would have been a better baseline number.

historically, 90% of Monday should happen for Pixar on Wednesday.  21-22 Wednesday for I2, that is putting it somewhere 240+

the only thing that stands in the way of 40m+ for Hereditary is showtime and location losses.

In regards to the Western franchise, I think Westerns just evolve along with all the other franchises.

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Kinda funny that I thought about today, but for the past 4 summers, a June movie has come out of nowhere, over performing most predictions to become the number 1 movie of the summer, ahead of what many people thought to be a May film that would win the summer. 

2015 - Jurassic World over Age of Ultron

2016 - Finding Dory over Civil War... and yes I will admit there were probably osme people who predicted this, there were ''CW over 500 or 600M'' that weren't all BKB

2017 - Wonder Woman over GOTG2

2018 - Incredilbes 2 over... I guess this May didn't have too much competition, but it still technically did out-gross everything in May. If it can beat IW, which I say is highly unlikely if not impossible, this would get interesting. But as it stands, a June movie this year will out-gross every May picture.

2019... if only TLK were coming out in June

Great observation.

As big as Avengers is probably going to be, TLK is definitely a worthy contender to upset and win next summer though. The proof of concept footage at CinemaCon was beautiful. If they can capture the magic start to finish, watch out...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

As big as Avengers is probably going to be, TLK is definitely a worthy contender to upset and win next summer. The proof of concept footage at CinemaCon was beautiful. If they can capture the magic start to finish, watch out...

Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. 

Theres another person saying the footage they saw from TLK was great. And yet people still doubt it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

With a pretty consistent 1B from Marvel Studios every year it will pretty hard for Disney to ever miss 2B again.

IMO those are famous last words. Disney is on a high right now, but nothing lasts forever. 

BTW, that 2009 year WB had really was something. It was the only $2B year of the 00s, and there wouldn't be another one until 2015 so it sits there on an island.

Six of the seven times the $2B DOM bell has been rung have been since 2015, so that suggests it's gotten easier to do recently. 

Edited by SteveJaros

• Founder / Operator
6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. 

Theres another person saying the footage they saw from TLK was great. And yet people still doubt it. 

:)

I don't want to overhype anything (especially because it wasn't even an actual film clip -- just test footage).

But, yeah. I teared up. Favreau is the type of guy that could really do something special with the remake and such an incredible cast. The nostalgia factor could be massive for TLK next year. Possibly even greater than it was for Beauty and the Beast last year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

:)

I don't want to overhype anything (especially because it wasn't even an official clip). But, yeah. I teared up. The nostalgia factor is going to be massive for that film. Possibly even greater than it was for Beauty and the Beast last year.

:ohmygod:

• Astonished 1

• Founder / Operator
40 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I mean these numbers are nice and all but it ain’t reaching 600m.  I just don’t think it will have longevity. 

Even a Monsters University multiplier would get it to $595.1m. Word of mouth seems better for I2, but I'll at least agree that it's early in the run to say $600m is a complete lock.

Then again... I2 won't run into a Despicable Me sequel like MU did.

I'll take the over. :)

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

54 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Even a Monsters University multiplier would get it to $595.1m. Word of mouth seems better for I2, but I'll at least agree that it's early in the run to say $600m is a complete lock.

3 $600m+ movies in one year for Disney

:bourne::ohmygod::sarah::ohmyzod:

• Astonished 4

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Do you think it has a decent shot at 700m?