sfran43

Monday's Numbers 23.9...eeeerrrr...24.1 according to Forbes

5 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

IMO those are famous last words. Disney is on a high right now, but nothing lasts forever. 

5 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Six of the seven times the $2B DOM bell has been rung have been since 2015, so that suggests it's gotten easier to do recently. 

It’s pretty funny that these were in the same post, because they’re also extremely at odds with each other.     

I feel pretty safe sating that MCU won’t go below 1B and Disney won’t go below 2B in any year until/unless they completely collapse as movie studios.   It’s because of inflation that this is a reasonable claim to make though — would not want to say the same thing using 2013 dollars.       

If those marks are missed, it will be the MCU one in  a year where they release 3 lower tier movies for some 900+.

Edited by Thanos Legion

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The Dark Knight, Pans Labyrinth, American Psycho, Gladiator, Memento, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, LOTR trilogy, Lilo & Stitch, Road to Perdition, Master & Commander, Oldboy, A Tale of Two Sisters, Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2, Inglorious Basterds, Collateral, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Shaun of the Dead, The Incredibles, Lord of War, Lady Vengeance, The Prestige, V for Vendetta, No Country for Old Men, Ratatouille, There Will Be Blood, In Bruges, Wall-E, Coraline

Oh i guess, thats more than 20...

Comic book movies:  4

Other fanboy stuff and Pixar: 9

Wasn't the original point what Hollywood would resort to if the CBM and franchise stuff went away?

Lastly, I only agree with TDK, Pan's Labyrinth, Inglorious Basterds and V for Vendetta.

Most of the movies you listed are great but I wouldn't say reached the zeitgeist of something like Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, The Matrix, Fight Club, etc.

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wasn't the original point what Hollywood would resort to if the CBM and franchise stuff went away?

Lastly, I only agree with TDK, Pan's Labyrinth, Inglorious Basterds and V for Vendetta.

Most of the movies you listed are great but I wouldn't say reached the zeitgeist of something like Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, The Matrix, Fight Club, etc.

Fight Club definitely didn’t reach the zeitgeist.

It disappointed at the box office and became a bit of a cult film later.

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Fight Club definitely didn’t reach the zeitgeist.

It disappointed at the box office and became a bit of a cult film later.

Yeah it flopped but it's more than just another cult film. Lol.

I think if a movie has at least one really famous quote, it is in the zeitgeist in some way.

Fight Club obviously has the "you do not talk about Fight Club" quote. And the Tyler twist is one of the most infamous in cinema.

OG Incredibles has quite a few. "Where is my super suit?" "When everyone's super, no one will be." "NO CAPES!" 

Edited by Mekanos

38 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

LOTR has the lv of pulp fiction and the mextrix easly.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Like what?

“the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time.”

No one was bothered when it was released. It didn’t capture attention or have people talking on release.

There wasn’t a buzz or mood. 

46 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Your definition of reaching the zeitgeist seems to just be the movies that are your favourites.

Personally, I don't feel like any decade is better or worse than the others. Movies tend to stand on their own. Sure, there are trends and if you break it down some periods are gonna work overall for some people more than others but that doesn't stop the fact that great movies come out all the time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I love how people are blind with their nostalgia.

They will pit the best movies of an era against the movies of the current era to claim it s crap.

While forgetting the era they are nostalgic about also had hundreds of crappy movies everyone has forgotten.

Funny how memory works.

The nineties for me was a horrible decade in everything entertainment, music, movies e.t.c, the worst decade ever and I was glad when they were finally over and no cherry picking of a few films, most of which I don’t even find that good, will change that.

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Your definition of reaching the zeitgeist seems to just be the movies that are your favourites.

Personally, I don't feel like any decade is better or worse than the others. Movies tend to stand on their own. Sure, there are trends and if you break it down some periods are gonna work overall for some people more than others but that doesn't stop the fact that great movies come out all the time.

If I just listed my favorites the list would look quite different.

I dunno.

Just because Fight Club didn't make Bayformers 2 movie doesn't mean it didn't speak loudly and reasonate with Generation X or perfectly sum up the 90's like The Matrix was the perfect film to end the 20th century.

These are not simply personal observations. I've seen how these films echoed throughout the cultural landscape.

They went far beyond the typical meme.

Jaws inspired many film-makers:

James Cameron got attracted to films on water.

Nolan decided to stick to practical effects. 

Michael Bay said "Yep, shall base my entire career on that cool bit in the end".

• Like 3