oMeriMombatti

Wednesday Numbers | 06/21/2018

What matters is... the number was off, which means it wasn't from offical sources, which means it was probably just a guess, which means Today's gross may end up over 20m (might go down also).

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

At any rate, it would be really disappointing if neither FK or I2 goes over 100 this weekend after it looked like we might get two 100+ grossers in the same weekend for the first time ever. 

I can't even imagine JWFK not going over $100M+ this weekend. In even the worst cases scenarios, that's going to happen. Now, I2... I'm thinking somewhere between $90M and $100M this weekend, probably closer to $90M.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

At any rate, it would be really disappointing if neither FK or I2 goes over 100 this weekend after it looked like we might get two 100+ grossers in the same weekend for the first time ever. 

But not totally unexpected...2 movies with some serious overlapping audience do tend to take out each other...

Deadpool 2 had the big drop against Solo and Solo opened way low...

Spiderman Homecoming had the big drop against Apes and Apes opened low...

So, there's definitely precedent...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

But not totally unexpected...2 movies with some serious overlapping audience do tend to take out each other...

Deadpool 2 had the big drop against Solo and Solo opened way low...

Spiderman Homecoming had the big drop against Apes and Apes opened low...

So, there's definitely precedent...

Thor Ragnarok vs. JL too

• Like 1

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

If FK goes under 100mil would it be a bigger disappointment than solo?

Obviously not overall since it will easily be profitable thanks to OS even if the DOM release was pulled. DOM I guess it might be debatable, but I'd still give it to Solo since it was just unheard of for an SW film and ridiculously lower than the admissions of any other SW film. This on the other hand wouldn't be the first  time a JP film hasn't had massive admissions DOM. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Obviously not overall since it will easily be profitable thanks to OS even if the DOM release was pulled. DOM I guess it might be debatable, but I'd still give it to Solo since it was just unheard of for an SW film and ridiculously lower than the admissions of any other SW film. This on the other hand wouldn't be the first  time a JP film hasn't had massive admissions DOM. 

I’d argue Jurassic World simply because it’s a main installment potentially dropping >50%, at least domestically. Solo is the bigger bomb, but at least they still have Episode 9. Where do you go from here if you’re Universal?

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

JP3 says hi.

Just now, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

I’d argue Jurassic World simply because it’s a main installment potentially dropping >50%, at least domestically. Solo is the bigger bomb, but at least they still have Episode 9. Where do you go from here if you’re Universal?

Yeah, but  you could argue at least JW still has OS. If this one does 700-800 OS, there's no way the third one won't still make at least 500. We don't know what IX is going to do OS. It very well could get ugly at this point given the TLJ drop off OS and then the complete OS implosion of Solo.