WrathOfHan

Green Book | Limited November 16, Wide November 21 | TIFF Audience Award Winner | Peter Farrelly | Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali

On 3/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, CoolioD1 said:

the truth is that the sensitive humanist direction that redford brings to ordinary people is rarely the type of filmmaking that gets canonized by the film bros in the same way a hyper masculine film like raging bull does (and i love raging bull not slamming it). that's really the reason people bitch about it winning. i always see people complain about that one but don't often see arguments against the film itself.

Ordinary People joins Amadeus as one of the few shining beacons in the desolate wasteland that is the 80's Best Picture winners. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

Capture.PNG

less than I expected for a 23M movie that made 300M worldwide :thinking:

That the foreign sales line, 40m

universal only distributed domestic :

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=greenbook.htm

Lot of studio profits is not on that page for the rest of the world.

Still quite low, if the movie would have not been sold / released intl it would have made $0/lost money according to this (profit being smaller than the foreign sales), a $85M best picture winner on a 23m budget with just 4M in bonus would have made $0 ? I think deadline are jumping the shark a little bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That the foreign sales line, 40m

universal only distributed domestic :

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=greenbook.htm

Lot of studio profits is not on that page for the rest of the world.

Still quite low, if the movie would have not been sold / released intl it would have made $0/lost money according to this (profit being smaller than the foreign sales), a $85M best picture winner on a 23m budget with just 4M in bonus would have made $0 ? I think deadline are jumping the shark a little bit.

Oh I didn't notice they only counted the domestic cut for Universal, RIP.

if you count the foreign BO run into this: 149M * 0.4 and 70M *0.25 total profit would be $116M~ which is more respectable for a 300M WW movie.

Also I'd imagine the P&A and marketing budget would've been less had they not released the movie internationally :thinking:..

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Also I'd imagine the P&A and marketing budget would've been less had they not released the movie internationally :thinking:..

When there is a foreign sales they only count domestic, you can look at the Liongates movies for a clearer example (back in the days the break down was more detailled)

https://deadline.com/2015/03/hunger-games-mockingjay-part-1-profit-box-office-2014-1201391223/

Has you see they put $0 in foreign release cost, that why Green Book has a "small" 37.5m (I imagine that the complete award campaign run is 7.5, to 10m of those) releasing cost, it is only the Universal cost (many intl market has much smaller cost than domestic, really really smaller that why it can look big)

• Thanks 1