WrathOfHan

Green Book | Limited November 16, Wide November 21 | TIFF Audience Award Winner | Peter Farrelly | Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali

https://deadline.com/2018/06/green-book-movie-release-date-welcome-to-marwen-universal-1202417242/

In the true story Green Book, Mortensen plays Tony Lip, an Italian-American bouncer with a seventh-grade education who is hired to drive Dr. Don Shirley (Ali), a world-class pianist, on a concert tour from Manhattan to the Deep South in 2962. They must rely on the “Negro Motorist Green Book” to guide them to the few establishments that were then safe for African Americans on the Mason-Dixon line. Linda Cardellini co-stars.

This is taking Marwen's original date.

I think it's significant that Universal is handling this film instead of Focus Features. I know Focus Features has their hands full with other promising Oscar titles, but still...

When Universal distributes a film that is intended to be positioned for awards plausibility, they can have some pretty good success; films with varyingly successful Oscar runs that Universal distributed include Zero Dark Thirty, Les Miserables, Unbroken (getting 4 nominations), Straight Outta Compton (getting an Original Screenplay nom in a very eccentric and surprisingly competitive year for the category), Get Out, and The Post. And most of the ones that don't really get awards are still good films in their own right, if not great (Anna Karenina, Steve Jobs, Rush, American Made).

So Universal must know something about this film to want to distribute it. It'l probably be pretty good.

51 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well, I certainly didn't expect this to be the director of Dumb and Dumber To's follow-up.

Universal was the distributor for that film as well, so it's interesting that they're doing this one.

Based on the news about the film's director, either this is a comedy, or this takes advantage of the road trip aesthetic held by the films in the Dumb and Dumber franchise, and the experience that the director has with a road trip style narrative because of that. In fact, seeing the director come from a very bad film (imo) makes me much more interested in how this plays out.