WrathOfHan

Box Office Theory's Top 50 Horror Movies (2018): Details and Submissions

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

If The Terminator doesn't count this shouldn't either. @WrathOfHan can you confirm T1 isn't eligible? I'll just remove it and move my 26 to 25. 

The Terminator isn't eligible rn, but if more people feel strongly about it, I'll make it eligible. Just remove it for now

As for Prometheus, because it's part of a horror franchise, I'll allow it. If someone feels strongly about it not being horror, my ears are open.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:35 AM, Tower said:

Black Swan, The Night Of The Hunter, Prometheus.

Oh shit sorry I missed this post.

Black Swan is 100% eligible.

Prometheus is eligible because it doesn't stray far thematically from other Alien movies (plus that abortion scene :o)

The Night of the Hunter isn't directly listed as horror, but it's in a 1950s horror Wikipedia list. Plus, Criterion calls it a horror movie. It's eligible

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Terminator isn't eligible rn, but if more people feel strongly about it, I'll make it eligible. Just remove it for now

As for Prometheus, because it's part of a horror franchise, I'll allow it. If someone feels strongly about it not being horror, my ears are open.

I'll keep it for the inevitable Thriller list. 

On 7/2/2018 at 6:12 PM, The Stingray said:

Prey at Night is an excellent slasher movie and the most fun I've had with a horror movie in years. And I don't buy the "it's stupid" complaints. Maybe people just don't make the most rational decisions when they are being chased by masked madmen.

Yeh I don’t mind silly characters. 

It had the worst and most unlikeable final girl I’ve seen in years though, IMO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I don’t mind silly characters. 

It had the worst and most unlikeable final girl I’ve seen in years though, IMO. 

I second that. Not a fan of the "bitchy daughter" horror movie trope.

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

I second that. Not a fan of the "bitchy daughter" horror movie trope.

Just out of curiosity, will there be any movies about autopsies that make your list?

Cool topic, but I've seen so many damn horror movies that I don't see how I could narrow them all down to just a top 50.

And it gets even tougher for a movie like Aliens. That is legitimately my 3rd favorite movie of all time, but I don't think I'd put it in a top ten list of horror movies, just because it's not purely horror.

Also, huge props to the folks mentioning movies like:

-My Bloody Valentine

-Phenomena

-It Follows

-You're Next

and the absolutely glorious Possession!

• Like 2

speaking of lists of horror movies...

This year's 24-hour Columbus Horror Movie marathon is October 13-14. One of you folks is going to show up for this thing one of these years.

No movies have been announced yet, but they're doing a special 30th anniversary mini-all-night-event in August where they will reveal the full lineup. I'm driving down to Columbus for that one, and it will feature 5 horror movies from 1988:

-The Blob

-Monkey Shines

-The Serpent and the Rainbow

-Brain Damage

-Waxwork

(Starts at 10pm August 18 if anyone wants to go to that one.)

• Like 2

Just wanted to drop by and say I just watched The Evil Dead (1981) for the first time and I'm stunned.

What an incredible movie. One scene in particular struck me as pure gold. I think I need to visit the Review that movie thread. :qotd:

So I'll use that as an opportunity for a "For Your Consideration"

FYC -- The Evil Dead (1981)

4eed6664a5974ba89e8f28b784120848_th.jpg

Not sure I've even watched enough horror movies to qualify for this list.

Wait, October is the deadline...

Hmm... :sarah:

Edited by Daxtreme
broken link
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Just wanted to drop by and say I just watched The Evil Dead (1981) for the first time and I'm stunned.

What an incredible movie. One scene in particular struck me as pure gold. I think I need to visit the Review that movie thread. :qotd:

So I'll use that as an opportunity for a "For Your Consideration"

FYC -- The Evil Dead (1981)

4eed6664a5974ba89e8f28b784120848_th.jpg

Not sure I've even watched enough horror movies to qualify for this list.

Wait, October is the deadline...

Hmm... :sarah:

200.gif

• Thanks 1

Long time occasional lurker on the site but since this is in my wheelhouse thought I'd sign up and put my two-penne'rth in.

I'll be coming back to this before the deadline so will just leave a Top 30 for now with movies that I know for sure will be on the list, there may be a lot of variation in the lower positions, as well as the numbers here may change.

1. Suspiria

2. The Exorcist

3. Martyrs

4. Psycho

5. Candyman

6. Event Horizon

7. The Shining

8. Hellraiser

9. Jaws

10. Blood on Satan's Claw

11. The Mothman Prophecies

12. The Thing

13. The Devil Rides Out

14. Alien

15. The VVitch

16. You're Next

17. Rosemary's Baby

18. The House of the Devil

19. Witchfinder General

20. The Skin I Live In

21. The Neon Demon

22. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

23. Don't Look Now

24. Hereditary

25. Frankenstein Created Woman

26. The Borderlands 

27. Nosferatu

28. The Innocents

29. Kill List

30. Night of the Hunter

There are a few others that will very likely get on, but I'll leave it there for now just in case I forget to ever come back.

I won't comment on films that others have mentioned, nor is it really my place as a newcomer to the board to foist any choices on folks, but it will always confuse and escape me as to how Candyman isn't higher on the average list of this kind.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 6