WrathOfHan

Box Office Theory's Top 50 Horror Movies (2018): Details and Submissions

I wonder if I can include the only film that ever genuinely gave me nightmares and made me scared to sleep (apart from Bambi of course).

Spoiler

Ghost - When the demon thingies dragged the bad guys off to hell

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3

On 7/6/2018 at 12:37 AM, kitik said:

This year's 24-hour Columbus Horror Movie marathon is October 13-14. One of you folks is going to show up for this thing one of these years.

Before people start posting their top 50 lists of movies again, here's the list of 12 movies that will be playing at this year's Shock-Around-The-Clock:

From Dusk Till Dawn

In the Mouth of Madness  --  (John Carpenter!)

Deep Red  --  (Argento!)

Lost Highway  --  (David Lynch)

Hagazussa: A Heathen's Curse  --  (trailer) (looks like a slow burn, perhaps a bit like The Witch?)

Luz  --  (trailer

Crystal Eyes  --  (trailer - click the cc button for english)

The Innocents

Pumpkinhead

Terror Train

Night of the Demons

Scream For Help

(links to all the trailers can be found on this page)

Besides some of the other famous movies on this list, I'm sure baumer has seen Terror Train before. Who else here has besides the two of us?

Also, baumer, is this the year you'll finally come down for this? It's a pretty solid lineup this year.

Finally, I have not seen Scream For Help, but I've been told to avoid all spoilers. Anyone here remember this obscure one from the 80s?

• Like 2

I have started watching some movies for this list so I'll go from bad to good:

The Birds (1963): The combination of some of the Dumbest and dullest characters with some of the worst special effects, makes this one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

The Exorcist (1973): The parts with the demon are really good, the story outside of that was serviceable but not more than that.

Peeping Tom (1960): Brilliant film with an excellent protagonist with lots thought. More of movie about horror than a horror movie, but regardless it will be very high up my list and if you have not seen it yet, you should.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tower said:

The Birds (1963): The combination of some of the Dumbest and dullest characters with some of the worst special effects, makes this one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

The Exorcist (1973): The parts with the demon are really good, the story outside of that was serviceable but not more than that.

Peeping Tom (1960): Brilliant film with an excellent protagonist with lots thought. More of movie about horror than a horror movie, but regardless it will be very high up my list and if you have not seen it yet, you should.

The Birds is a victim of its age and one of the few Hitchcock films that have just aged terribly. Exorcist is a classic for a reason, though i can understand anyone who would find the 1st and 2nd act a bit hard to sit through. Peeping Tom is really good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tower said:

You sir, are a hero. 

17 hours ago, Tower said:

I need to see Peeping Tom.

• Like 1

Another three horror movies watched and ordered from bad to good, this one is going to be controversial:

Halloween (1978)(spoiler alert): So apparently this is supposed to be this great classic that created so much nostalgia that it will power a movie into making some great numbers this week. Unfortunately, after the first 5 minutes I thought it was just bad. After the first killing we're treated to 40 minutes of a generic teenager story, with the villain popping up every so often and then disappearing again. This was fine the first couple of times, but half an hour in, and with the same thing happening over and over again, it was just boring.

Then we go through a few more killings which were alright but not amazing, before we reach a Climax which did good job competing with The Birds in terms of the main characters stupidity. So she manages to to stab him and he falls to the ground, but instead of stabbing him a few more times to make sure he's dead or even just looking closely to make sure he's dead, she just leaves him and the knife alone and assumes he's dead with no good reason. In one of the most expected twists of all time he gets up again goes after her. This is where the film turns comically bad, because the whole dumb decision happens a second time. she stabs him again, he falls again, and she leaves him alone again so he can sneak up on her again. This part was so dumb it actually caused me to laugh, which may have increased my enjoyment of the film, but not by enough for me to actually rate this film highly.

Night Of The Living Dead (1968): The effects were a bit dated and I didn't particularly care for Barbara's character, but Ben and his interaction with Harry were good. Overall, a solid zombie movie.

Blade (1998): This film does have some obvious flaws, but it still managed to be a lot of fun. Exploding bodies and skeletons flying out of their bodies are just the kind of thing that I like.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 75Live said:

so do we PM the list or do we still have to post the list in here?  Just making sure before I post :)  

Either one is fine tbh. My inbox has a bit of space, so I'll let you guys know if it's getting full lol

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Either one is fine tbh. My inbox has a bit of space, so I'll let you guys know if it's getting full lol

just sent the PM then :) 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@JamesCameronScholar I'm using the list you posted on page 2 and excluding The Terminator and Stalker. If you'd like to add in one more movie so your list meets the 25 film requirement, let me know, otherwise your list has half values.

Will do Han, will send you my full list later today. Thanks for reminding me. 

• Thanks 1