Eric Duncan

Tuesday Numbers l JW2 $18.4M

https://deadline.com/2018/06/jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-box-office-second-weekend-tuesday-record-uncle-drew-sicario-1202417421/

Universal/Amblin Entertainment’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom stomped to an estimated $18.4M yesterday, making it the second-best take for a live-action movie in June on a Tuesday, filing behind Jurassic World‘s $24.3M and ahead of Warner Bros.’ Wonder Woman‘s $14.3M.

Technically Fallen Kingdom‘s Tuesday is the fourth best ever for the month, those titles ahead of it being largely animated pics. June’s top films on a Tuesday include Incredibles 2 ($27M last week on June 19), Jurassic World ($24.3M, June 16, 2015) and Finding Dory ($23.1M, June 21, 2016).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I2 had jumped 14.5% on 1st Tue. How the hell did JW2 jump 25%! Worth noting that JW2's Sat bump from true Friday was also better than I2's during OW, and I expect the coming 2nd Sat to hold better than I2s 2nd Sat of +31%.

Edit: Has a decent shot at 60 2nd weekend.

12.9 (-30%)

11.6 (-10%)

18.0 (+55%)

24.3 (+35%)

17.7 (-27%)

= 60 (-59.5%)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

I2 had jumped 14.5% on 1st Tue. How the hell did JW2 jump 25%! Worth noting that JW2's Sat bump from true Friday was also better than I2's during OW, and I expect the coming 2nd Sat to hold better than I2s 2nd Sat of +31%.

This is exactly the type of movie that plays well on Discount Tuesdays though. It has a 50% on RT, you know its gonna be stupid fun but you don't wanna pay full price, etc.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

This is exactly the type of movie that plays well on Discount Tuesdays though. It has a 50% on RT, you know its gonna be stupid fun but you don't wanna pay full price, etc.

It’s not just that. I2 (and JW last year) had a huge first Monday after a phenomenal opening weekend so some spill over  effect was in play in their first Monday. JW2 is performing more like a more “normal” blockbuster after an o.k (for a sequel to an over 650 million film) opening weekend and a bad first Monday . It was obvious that it would have a decent increase in Tuesday , just like every film in the top ten will have. If it didn’t we would be talking about BvS legs right now.

I am sure that  99.9% of people posting here understand that but want to ignore it and start dreaming again. Oh well the second weekend is coming and that will cement exactly where JW2 will finish.

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 2

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

It’s not just that. I2 (and JW last year) had a huge first Monday after a phenomenal opening weekend so some spill over  effect was in play in their first Monday. JW2 is performing more like a more “normal” blockbuster after an o.k (for a sequel to an over 650 million film) opening weekend and a bad first Monday . It was obvious that it would have a decent increase in Tuesday , just like every film in the top ten will have. If it didn’t we would be talking about BvS legs right now.

I am sure that  99.9% of people posting here understand that but want to ignore it and start dreaming again. Oh well the second weekend is coming and tha5 will cement exactly where JW2 will finish.

The second weekend drop isnt the one to cement anything though. We have learned this several times over the years. Two recent examples are Spider-Man homecoming and Deadpool part 2. The second weekend drop is usually an ugly-looking drop 4 a huge movie. It's the legs that you have to pay attention to and that starts with the third weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, a2k said:

Edit: Has a decent shot at 60 2nd weekend.

12.9 (-30%)

11.6 (-10%)

18.0 (+55%)

24.3 (+35%)

17.7 (-27%)

= 60 (-59.5%)

Father’s Day caused Sunday to be inflated and Monday to be a bit more inflated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

The second weekend drop isnt the one to cement anything though. We have learned this several times over the years. Two recent examples are Spider-Man homecoming and Deadpool part 2. The second weekend drop is usually an ugly-looking drop 4 a huge movie. It's the legs that you have to pay attention to and that starts with the third weekend.

In its third weekend AATW will do some serious damage to it, so I dont think that we will see a rise from the grave for it. 

Anyway I really don’t see how this has even a slight chance for 400 million and it’s first Tuesday (with a number close to what many predicted for Monday) doesn’t really change much. If it was to have a tiny increase in Tuesday then we would be talking about 350 million.

6 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

In its third weekend AATW will do some serious damage to it, so I dont think that we will see a rise from the grave for it. 

Universal has Skyscraper the week after and can do double features which can soften the blow.

• Like 1