A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

400m on a 170m budget is a hit imo. But the movie was bad. Not surprised it's not getting a sequel. The budget for the sequel would be close to 200m. I don't see the sequel making more than 135m dom. OS could grow, surely China would, but not enough to justify a sequel. Would make ~450m ww at most on a ~200m budget.

Edited by a2k

400m on a 170m budget is a hit imo. But the movie was bad. Not surprised it's not getting a sequel. The budget for the sequel would be close to 200m. I don't see the sequel making more than 135-140m dom. OS could grow, surely China would, but not enough to justify a sequel. Would make ~450m ww at most on a ~200m budget.

Must be nice pulling numbers out of thin air. Oblivion cost much less than Legacy, and Kosinski months ago in an interview had said Tron 3's budget would have been lower than Legacy's. Sorry, try again.

I'm talking worldwide sales, not just US. US is not the whole world.

Plenty of OTHER questionable films are getting sequels. This is not. Facts are facts. Lame films like Pacific Rim are getting a sequel. Also financially speaking, as much as I loved Fury Road, comparing worldwide gross to budget, Fury Road hasn't done any better than Legacy, yet it too, is getting a sequel. The other difference being Pacific Rim and Fury Road have had much lower soundtrack sales as well.

It did worse outside of America then it did inside of America.  The only other countries it hit gold where France (50,000 Units) and Australia (35,000 units).  It did not chart in Japan and was 18th in Germany the 2 largest non US music markets.  It is no where close to as successful as you seem to think it is. 

Pacific Rim is getting a sequel for 1 reason China.  Fury Road has already probably made more profit then Tron plus there are ways for it to reduce the budget going forward and it has great reviews. Pac Rim is a Legendary Picture property and Fury Road is WB while Tron is at Disney. 

Must be nice pulling numbers out of thin air. Oblivion cost much less than Legacy, and Kosinski months ago in an interview had said Tron 3's budget would have been lower than Legacy's. Sorry, try again.

Because Disney is known for keeping budgets tight during production. 

What will Chinese park-goers think when they try and enjoy this new ride, only to discover there is no new movie or merchandising tie-in?

The same thing they would have thought when there was no Space Mountain movie or merchandising tie-in i.e. literally nothing.

• Like 3

The same thing they would have thought when there was no Space Mountain movie or merchandising tie-in i.e. literally nothing.

Um...

Space Mountain never had movie franchise tie-ins in the first place.

Tron is an established franchise with a few decades behind it, as well as merchandise. It's ingrained and established in people's minds that Tron is a movie franchise.

Not sure how you can compare the two.

Edited by Null

Um...

Space Mountain never had movie franchise tie-ins in the first place.

Tron is an established franchise with a few decades behind it, as well as merchandise. It's ingrained and established in people's minds that Tron is a movie franchise.

Not sure how you can compare the two.

A lot of people do not care about the Tron franchise. China has never even seen Tron in the first place, for them Tron is no different from Space Mountain in terms of a franchise. 

Hell, I could live without ever seeing another Tron movie forever. I am sure we will see one eventually, but I don't think Hedlund, Wilde or Kosinski will be associated with it. Most likely it will be another reboot in 5-6 years time. Neither Hedlund nor Wilde became the huge stars Disney anticipated when they invested in them for Tron, add to that Kosinski didn't become a big name director either, Home Video sales weren't that good, and the Tron cartoon series got low ratings and Disney realized they weren't reaching beyond a core audience for Tron and for a change made a smart decision instead of pushing forward on what had the potential to be a money sink.

• Like 2

A lot of people do not care about the Tron franchise. China has never even seen Tron in the first place, for them Tron is no different from Space Mountain in terms of a franchise. 

Hell, I could live without ever seeing another Tron movie forever. I am sure we will see one eventually, but I don't think Hedlund, Wilde or Kosinski will be associated with it. Most likely it will be another reboot in 5-6 years time. Neither Hedlund nor Wilde became the huge stars Disney anticipated when they invested in them for Tron, add to that Kosinski didn't become a big name director either, Home Video sales weren't that good, and the Tron cartoon series got low ratings and Disney realized they weren't reaching beyond a core audience for Tron and for a change made a smart decision instead of pushing forward on what had the potential to be a money sink.

Yes but it very unlike Disney to do something like this. This cost twice as much as Space Mountain, since its not a clone of any sort. If the did't plan on selling Merch then they would have never built Tron. I think when they greenly this they were obviously planning a 3rd movie. 

Harry Potter Changed the game for theme parks. Universal Orlando's guest spending has over doubled since it opened in 2010. Its now all about themed rides, food, and mercy, full immersion. Thats the reason they chose Tron instead of Space. 

Same reason they are now bringing Avatar land to Animal Kingdom, a Star Wars land to Hollywood Studios and a Pirates of the Caribbean land In Shanghai.  And its why the latest edition in California was Cars land. You can thank Harry Potter. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

I won't repeat what Jay Hollywood said, but he made my point already.

Why build this then if you hypothetically are Disney, and consider the Tron franchise a flop? WHY make such a huge investment then into a Chinese theme park, with zero movie or merchandising tie-ins, when (hypothetically) you as Disney are a massive merchandising company?

Yes but it very unlike Disney to do something like this. This cost twice as much as Space Mountain, since its not a clone of any sort. If the did't plan on selling Merch then they would have never built Tron. I think when they greenly this they were obviously planning a 3rd movie. 

Harry Potter Changed the game for theme parks. Universal Orlando's guest spending has over doubled since it opened in 2010. Its now all about themed rides, food, and mercy, full immersion. Thats the reason they chose Tron instead of Space. 

Same reason they are now bringing Avatar land to Animal Kingdom, a Star Wars land to Hollywood Studios and a Pirates of the Caribbean land In Shanghai.  And its why the latest edition in California was Cars land. You can thank Harry Potter. 

Exactly.

I won't repeat what Jay Hollywood said, but he made my point already.

Why build this then if you hypothetically are Disney, and consider the Tron franchise a flop? WHY make such a huge investment then into a Chinese theme park, with zero movie or merchandising tie-ins, when (hypothetically) you as Disney are a massive merchandising company?

Exactly.

Disney has Tron merchandise which they will push at the parks. Movie profits (or losses) are peanuts there. The bigger issue is whether domestic audiences and theaters will care.

Disney has Tron merchandise which they will push at the parks. Movie profits (or losses) are peanuts there. The bigger issue is whether domestic audiences and theaters will care.

Really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all current and future Tron merchandise was getting pulled due to the cancellation of Tron 3? The relevance of domestic audiences matters little in this case, since this will be at a Chinese theme park.

That Tron ride is gonna be there for 30 years. Merchandise is how theme parks make there money, not admission. They obviously think or thought they would sell more Tron merch than Space Mountain. 

End of the day I agree, one themepark in one market wasn't going to be the reason the movie was getting made. But the ride at the time was green-lit before the movie was canceled. The whole rollercoaster track was already installed \by the time they canceled the movie. 

They were obviously at the time hoping Tron 3 would be big in china or big enough to drive more sales than Space. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

That Tron ride is gonna be there for 30 years. Merchandise is how theme parks make there money, not admission. They obviously think or thought they would sell more Tron merch than Space Mountain. 

End of the day I agree, one themepark in one market wasn't going to be the reason the movie was getting made. But the ride at the time was green-lit before the movie was canceled. The whole rollercoaster track was already installed \by the time they canceled the movie. 

They were obviously at the time hoping Tron 3 would be big in china or big enough to drive more sales than Space. 

So, Tron merchandise has not been pulled and will continue? Is this confirmed?

The ride situation still doesn't make any sense, according to Disney's own logic. It would be FAR cheaper to remove the laid down track, and take apart the ride so far, then it would be to finish building the ride, and support it for however many 20-30 years.

By finishing this ride, and operating it, this ends up much more expensive than it simply would have been to shut down the ride. However if Disney is confident of significant popularity of the ride, then why wouldn't they similarly be confident of a high gross in China for Tron 3?

This irregularity and breakdown of Disney's own logic remains unanswered.

These rides take years of development like any film. They started on JP the ride in 91! all the engineering and R&D is already done too. The effects, the vendors, the trains are finished, all the effects and elementts.

The reason parks get the same attractions on different coasts is because all the work is already done. They just have to built it.

The cost of universal to clone Transftomers the ride is less then it cost to build at first of course.

It's like making a sequel but not having to pay the cast and director again

• Like 3

Difference is, JP film actually came out, it wasn't cancelled.

Well I'm done here. Looks like you agree with Disney. This must be a brilliant move then. Open this big new ride, as closing it would cost more. Keep running it for decades. When people keep asking "where is the new Tron film" Disney will just respond with "screw you".

/end sarcasm.

Difference is, JP film actually came out, it wasn't cancelled.

Well I'm done here. Looks like you agree with Disney. This must be a brilliant move then. Open this big new ride, as closing it would cost more. Keep running it for decades. When people keep asking "where is the new Tron film" Disney will just respond with "screw you".

/end sarcasm.

Nobody wants a new Tron film apart from a couple of fanboys online.

Also Disney's theme park and movie divisions are pretty much separate entities. The Theme Park people feel like that they can turn Tron into a decent attraction on it's own, the movie people feel like they cant make money from a Tron film franchise. Disney put out attractions and merchandise for hundreds of characters that haven't had a movie for decades, this is the same thing.

• Like 2

The ride is going to be popular because it's a big coaster at a big park. By the time the Tron brand will have faded from people's memory completely Disney could very easily re-theme it and I don't think it would make much of a difference.

And I should add that one of Disneyland/Disneyworld's most popular attractions is based on a film Disney wants to erase from history completely so it's not like brand power matters too much.

Edited by C00k13
  • Like 1