aabattery

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS*** ANT-MAN AND THE WASP SPOILER THREAD ***HERE BE SPOILERS***YE WHO ENTER SHALL BE SPOILED***INFINITY WAR SPOILERS ALLOWED

'Twas aight. Definitely the weakest MCU movie of the year for me, though there is still good things to like.

Anyway, the post credits scene. I knew this was gonna happen, I'm sure everyone knew this was gonna happen, but I don't like that Hope was turned into dust at the end. Hope is a fun character, almost stole the show (Luis is the real best part, hail Michael Pena) and while she'll probably be in a future Avengers movie in Phase 4 or 5, I still feel as if having her be a part of the action for one film, then being left behind instead of being joined by the other characters left me feeling disappointed. Still well-done, and I like that Scott has his own predicament to get out of, but I still feel disappointed my fear came true.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 7:19 PM, AJG said:

That sounds like the best Marvel middle finger since Cap in Homecoming.

And it is. I was laughing when it started, but when a group in my audience started to groan I laughed even harder.

This movie provides no hope to anyone in search of it after Infinity War and that’s an awesome move on Marvel’s part.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

The fade was better executed in this movie than in Infinity War.

Peyton Reed delivers the goods again. It's different than I expected but I loved that there was no real villain. Had a blast. It might not be as funny as some other Marvel movies but it has way more heart.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

'Twas aight. Definitely the weakest MCU movie of the year for me, though there is still good things to like.

Anyway, the post credits scene. I knew this was gonna happen, I'm sure everyone knew this was gonna happen, but I don't like that Hope was turned into dust at the end. Hope is a fun character, almost stole the show (Luis is the real best part, hail Michael Pena) and while she'll probably be in a future Avengers movie in Phase 4 or 5, I still feel as if having her be a part of the action for one film, then being left behind instead of being joined by the other characters left me feeling disappointed. Still well-done, and I like that Scott has his own predicament to get out of, but I still feel disappointed my fear came true.

I think it's kinda obvious that most of the people who survived Infinity War (the original Avengers, in particular) are going to perish in return for bringing back those who turned into ash to life.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Saw it today. It was refreshing to see a movie of this type that had a bit more personal stakes rather than a villain taking over/destroying the world/universe.  A few jokes fell flat for me, though not for others in the audience but still a fun ride.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 9:16 PM, AndyLL said:

Not really...

There are 7.442 billion in the world.  Half that is 3.721 billion.  

So it is 3 out of 3.721 billion. 

If truly random proximity to each other should have no bearing of the probability.

Hmmm but it is still a 50% chance for each individual, no matter where they are to disappear. The chances that all 3 will be part of that 3.721 billion is 1/8. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 6:04 PM, Water Bottle said:

The fade was better executed in this movie than in Infinity War.

Peyton Reed delivers the goods again. It's different than I expected but I loved that there was no real villain. Had a blast. It might not be as funny as some other Marvel movies but it has way more heart.

There really was no villain, was there? This movie is definitely about Hank and Hope's search for Janet. It isn't a typical hero vs villain story. There are protagonists and antagonists and they simply were after the same thing and got in each other's way sometimes. Ant-Man was just there to help out and fend off Ghost and the other pests, and Goggins' character was simply as pointless as it gets. Like, why was he even there? Again, not even really a villain. Just a thorn in the heroes sides.

Fun movie, but certainly not one of Marvel's best. 

As for the mid-credits scene, I really really hope that was meant to be some time after the events of the film. Otherwise, that would have meant that Thanos' invasion was happening at the same time, which is....jarring. But even then, what were the 4 of them doing just nonchalantly collecting energy or whatever from the quantum realm right before the snap?? At that time you would think the whole world would be in chaos.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

What I was hoping was that the movie would create an explanation for these characters not being around BEFORE the events of IW. As in something like they would all get stuck in the quantum realm before Hulk goes smashing down to Earth and warns everyone about Thanos. That would make sense. But nope, they were all there right until the snap, something that happens at the end of IW.

• Community Manager
8 hours ago, JB33 said:

There really was no villain, was there? This movie is definitely about Hank and Hope's search for Janet. It isn't a typical hero vs villain story. There are protagonists and antagonists and they simply were after the same thing and got in each other's way sometimes. Ant-Man was just there to help out and fend off Ghost and the other pests, and Goggins' character was simply as pointless as it gets. Like, why was he even there? Again, not even really a villain. Just a thorn in the heroes sides.

Fun movie, but certainly not one of Marvel's best. 

As for the mid-credits scene, I really really hope that was meant to be some time after the events of the film. Otherwise, that would have meant that Thanos' invasion was happening at the same time, which is....jarring. But even then, what were the 4 of them doing just nonchalantly collecting energy or whatever from the quantum realm right before the snap?? At that time you would think the whole world would be in chaos.

1) Yes no real villain. It's a nice break from the usual CBM mold and maybe shows that Marvel movies don't have to be so formulaic.

2) It might not be the one of Marvel's best but it's easily my favorite Marvel movie of the year I think.

3) I imagine making the quantum tunnel smaller did take time.

4) I don't see why the whole world would be in chaos? This is an Earth that already suffered an alien invasion (and a robot army lifting a city out of the sky). As far as most people probably know before the snap, the new alien invaders were held back in New York City and other areas by the Avengers. The main battle taking place right before the snap is in Wakanda which probably didn't have any news coverage due to the complete lack of a media presence.

In other words in the MCU it's entirely likely that for most of the people on Earth, the snap seemingly came out of nowhere. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yup, the in universe knowledge of the events of Infinity War before people actually started getting dusted was quite minimal. Basically they knew some aliens showed up in New York and then Iron Man went missing. Strange missing isn’t news, Peter Parker missing isn’t real news, nobody had any idea about Thanos existing, his plans, Vision’s importance to them, etc.         

The only thing large scale thing that even happened on Earth after New York 2 Electric Boogaloo was a pretty fast battle in a remote section of Africa.        

There’s really no reason why anybody would know that something catastrophic was looming until it actually started happening — and the second post credits scene is pretty clear about this with Fury, one of the most well informed people on the planet vis-a-vis aliens and Avengers, not even knowing what was happening in Wakanda until Thanos achieved his goals.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Goggins wasn't pointless.

Hey kept the story somewhat grounded, made Rudd's buddies relevant and kept the crime/heist narrative/theme from the first film.

Every character served a purpose and the story.

Having so many moving parts doesn't always work but Peyton pulled it off. I enjoyed them all.

Also Goggins was funny and charming one moment and somewhat intimidating during others though the intimidation factor shrunk over time (couldn't resist the pun. Sorry everyone).

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 9:16 PM, AndyLL said:

Not really...

There are 7.442 billion in the world.  Half that is 3.721 billion.  

So it is 3 out of 3.721 billion. 

If truly random proximity to each other should have no bearing of the probability.

This is true, but it does not apply to this situation since it is not completely random. The parameters of the snap are that 50% of the population are dusted. Not that each person receives a 50% chance of being dusted. Each individual’s chance of being dusted changes as another person gets dusted.

Imagine you were flipping a coin 10 times, and it was rigged so that you were guaranteed 5 would be heads. If the first 4 were tails, it is no longer a 50% chance of being heads for the remaining 6. Their individual chances becomes 1/6 or 16.7%. It has to meet the 50% outcome overall.

ETA: Sorry, completely misread you, we’re arguing the same thing lol.

For lilmac, the probability is slightly off 1/8. Say the population was 3,600,000,000. When one person gets snapped, the next has a chance of 1 in 3,599,999,999, and so on.

Edited by nick64
  • Like 1