sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

40 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Fallen Kingdom's second weekend drop is not at all note worthy to me. I would like it to but I don't see 400mil happening unless it really holds up under Ant-Man next weekend. 

If it is -59/60, it is not much "news" that is true, a near 150m OW direct sequel second weekend drop, tend to look like that.

Recent Giant openner direct (or somewhat, movie universe being a bit hard to read) sequel second weekend drop

BvS: -69.1%

Last Jedi: -67.5%

Deadpool 2: -65.4%

Dark Knight Rise: -61.4%

Civil War: -59.5%

Furious 7: -59.5%

Iron Man 2: -59.4%

Ultron: -59.4%

Rogue One: -58.7%

Iron Man 3: -58.4%

Winter Soldier: -56.6%

Incredible 2: -56%

Infinity war: -55.5%

Gotg 2: -55.5%

Thor 3: -53.5%

Skyfall: -53.5%

Mockingjat Part 1: -53.3%

Catching Fire: -53.1%

Dark Knight: -52.5%

Dory: -46%

-----------

Feel right around that -59% figure.

Even all time great reception and when midnight previews started at midnight they usually didn't achieve a -50% (say Dark Knight) like Jurassic World did, worst hold were to be expected regardless of reception and considering the movie reception normal to go toward a -60%.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Here's why I hate the cold - usually, it's also combo-ed with short days (less light) and between cold and darkness, it sucks your will from wanting to do anything.  

Versus a gorgeous day like today - some World Cup in the morning, then an afternoon with the kids at the pool, more World Cup, and now an evening of dinner out and then entertaining adult friends for a legacy board game tonight...it feels like the day is so long and the possibilities are endless...

And for those who say you can always get warm...no, no you can't...you should ask my spouse how cold my hands are all winter (b/c my circulation sucks)...so easy to cool off in pools and oceans, but so hard to warm up when there's no way to immediately immerse in the heat:)...

• Like 6

I think 400m could happen for JW as long as they spend a lot to keep it in theaters and get as many 10m+ days as possible.  Then when it gets near 350m, they can turn it into a 'cooking show' and let the numbers slowly trickle towards 400m.  Of course, 375m is the best bet for final domestic BO if your life depended on one final prediction.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Agreed. IW is what makes sense for AMATW doubles. It will only be BP if Disney really does care about 700.

And miss out on achieving an amazing feat with a $700M, $600M, $500M movie in the same year?! As well as becoming The ONLY studio to ever accomplish such a feat...nah, Disney doesn't care!!😒

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think BP is suited any better for younger audiences than IW. The ritual combat scenes are probably the most visceral thing MCU has ever done. And I honestly thought the museum scene was pushing it for PG-13. Movies have been R for less. Then there's the thematic subject matter of Killmonger's whole arc, which is very mature. 

There’s some more mature stuff in BP that younger kids might just miss or not fully appreciate. I deliberately ordered those 3 from most to least kid-friendly.  

It’s not nearly as poor a match as IW though, imo.  

3 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

And miss out on achieving an amazing feat with a $700M, $600M, $500M movie in the same year?! As well as becoming The ONLY studio to ever accomplish such a feat...nah, Disney doesn't care!!😒

I really think Disney only cares about milestones that give them a bonus monetary incentive. And 700m doesn't. I mean maybe if we were talking about the difference between #1 for the year against a rival studio's movie or something. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The list of non-Disney movies in the last half of this decade to hit 400 DOM may boil down to just both Wonder Woman's and Jumanji WTTJ. 

Jurassic World is from the last half of the decade. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really think Disney only cares about milestones that give them a bonus monetary incentive. And 700m doesn't. I mean maybe if we were talking about the difference between #1 for the year against a rival studio's movie or something. 

True! But they also want bragging rights, same as every other studio! 

• Like 1

Cold is bad. I hate winter. It gets dark early, there's no point being outside if there's no snow (which around here there rarely is despite it freezing every night) and I get winter depression every year. This last season was especially brutal since it took until mid-April for spring to arrive.

Give me a place that's twenty degrees Celsius every day with decent humidity and I'm good.

• Like 2