sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Seems like the comparison of choice for Sicario 2 is Den of Thieves which made $15m OW off a 950K preview..

What’s up with all these mid teen openers recently? A ton of them would’ve opened much much larger only 6 years ago.

Just now, Nova said:

I’m about to watch Incredibles 2 and the theater has been overtaken by tiny people. HELP! SOS!!!! 

I don’t know what time it is where you are, but when I went we chose to go late night (10pm). 

Sucks for you. You have my sympathy.

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

tell them to go watch hereditary instead.

I would but it’s already gone from my theater. Maybe I’ll redirect them to Deadpool 2. They won’t know the difference. 

:sparta:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

I don’t know what time it is where you are, but when I went we chose to go late night (10pm). 

Sucks for you. You have my sympathy.

It’s noon time so it’s actually my fault. Theater parking lot was actually pretty empty for the time of day so I thought I was safe since my area has a huge heat wave so most folks are heading towards the shore for the weekend. Which is why I thought I’d take advantage of going this weekend to watch it....my mistake. I should have known what the audience breakdown would be like when I pulled up and saw only minivans in the parking lot. 

I’ll report back if I make it out alive! 

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

It’s noon time so it’s actually my fault. Theater parking lot was actually pretty empty for the time of day so I thought I was safe since my area has a huge heat wave so most folks are heading towards the shore for the weekend. Which is why I thought I’d take advantage of going this weekend to watch it....my mistake. I should have known what the audience breakdown would be like when I pulled up and saw only minivans in the parking lot. 

I’ll report back if I make it out alive! 

At least you don't have campers there...if I do a M-F matinee in the summer for any animated movie, it's a guarantee that there will be at least 2 full martial arts camps in the showing...with about 3 chaperones for 50 kids:)...

• Astonished 1

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Opening Weekend Range: $70 – 90 million (up from $65-85M)

Social media and general tracking footprints continue to pace slightly behind Doctor Strange and Thor: The Dark World, but remain consistent in terms of the film’s overall positive outlook now that early critics’ reviews suggest another crowd-pleaser.

Not surprised that Ant-Man estimates went up. Twitter's reaction to the latest trailers has been increasingly positive!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Opening Weekend Range: $70 – 90 million (up from $65-85M)

Social media and general tracking footprints continue to pace slightly behind Doctor Strange and Thor: The Dark World, but remain consistent in terms of the film’s overall positive outlook now that early critics’ reviews suggest another crowd-pleaser.

Not surprised that Ant-Man estimates went up. Twitter's reaction to the latest trailers has been increasingly positive!

$100M within reach? :ohmyzod:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Okay maybe John Wick Chapter 2 works better as it's also an R rated sequel. That did $2.2m and opened to $30m, so if we apply that then Sicario 2 would do mid to high 20s?

49 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Seems like the comparison of choice for Sicario 2 is Den of Thieves which made $15m OW off a 950K preview..

Both of those were not summer.  You get a higher preview to weekend multi

42 minutes ago, AJG said:

What’s up with all these mid teen openers recently? A ton of them would’ve opened much much larger only 6 years ago.

Its all toons and tights now

When I was a teen I was just as likely to see a clint eastwood  or paul newman movie as I was to see star wars and superman

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Premium George said:

Sicario 2 would have exploded, $100m dom, if reviews would have been like first one. Villeneuve departure hurted it's box office too.

Well his name attached to BR2049 didn't prevent that from flopping.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Well his name attached to BR2049 didn't prevent that from flopping.

His name right now is good for $50m+ not for $150m film. With the right brand like sicario and BR which has developed a following, br2049 performance for this would have been possible.

3 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Both of those were not summer.  You get a higher preview to weekend multi

Yeah but it's almost impossible to find a similar movie opening in the summer in recent years. Maybe Detroit? That did 500K in previews and $7.1m OW. Or Atomic Blonde - $1.5m preview, $18.3m OW.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Premium George said:

His name right now is good for $50m+ not for $150m film. With the right brand like sicario and BR which has developed a following, br2049 performance for this would have been possible.

Well Sicario 2 will probably make $50m as it is lol. Not sure this franchise is really a $100m+ potential earner no matter whose name is attached.