sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

Just now, That One Guy said:

I saw two movies today.  Hotel Transylvania 3 was fine.  I liked it well enough.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? is so fucking good and I want everyone here to drop what they're doing right now and go see it because it's the best and it's wonderful.  I bawled my eyes out.  10 out of fucking 10.

See and films like WYBMY dont come out here - at all - till the Blu-Ray release half a year later :(

• Sad 1

Why in the world is Wonder Woman back as a topic? It was fine, nothing really that bad aside from the third act and nothing that special aside from finally providing some big superhero movie representation for female title characters and good DCEU movies.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like people only rag on WW's third act because the movie kinda teases the audience up until that point into wondering if maybe the greek mythlogy aspects such as the gods aren't actually going to turn out real and humanity's desire for war is the true villain after all. But I mean, that's a part of Wonder Woman the same way Norse mythology is a part of Thor. They were never going to just eschew Ares to have the villain be man's internal struggle against  good or evil. It wasn't an indie drama after all. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Why in the world is Wonder Woman back as a topic? It was fine, nothing really that bad aside from the third act and nothing that special aside from finally providing some big superhero movie representation for female title characters and good DCEU movies.

Its not "back as a topic" - @Nova has just seen it again and we started a little discussion. When there are no new numbers to discuss, we often go off topic here.

Edited by Brainbug

35 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wonder Woman's third act was one of the best superhero movie climaxes. Not to mention having Steve Trevor's sacrifice was one of the most moving parts. Guessing people were used to boring anti climaxes of movies like Doctor Strange so an actual action packed rousing climax shocked them

Or people didn't like how it was preceded by a really lame twist and then devolved into the BvS-level visuals the rest of the movie was so careful to avoid with one of the most underwhelming villains in recent memory (and that's saying a lot). Trevor's sacrifice is the lone good part in that entire scene yet feels oddly removed from everything happening around it.

The movie was doing so good up until that point too.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its not "back as a topic" - @Nova has just seen it again and we started a little discussion. When there are no new numbers to discuss, we often go off topic here.

Yea I didn’t mean to start a discussion like this but at the same time the weekend thread is really really slow and we have no new numbers to discuss. So I figured it was game to go a bit off topic to revisit a film that I didn’t like so much before and now really like. 

Btw I totally agree with you that had they ended the movie when Steve told her killing 1 man doesn’t fix everything (or something like that) it would have been sooooo much better and yes prob one of the best endings to any CBM. That’s what I mean when I meant keeping it small scale. Or they could have Steve still die in the plane crash but not had that Ares fight scene. It’s the Ares CGI nonsense that ruined it for me lol Just felt completely out of place with how the rest of the film was going. I hope with the second they keep things small scale and aren’t tempted to have a big CGI fight scene at the end when it’s not needed. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Or people didn't like how it was preceded by a really lame twist and then devolved into the BvS-level visuals the rest of the movie was so careful to avoid with one of the most underwhelming villains in recent memory (and that's saying a lot). Trevor's sacrifice is the lone good part in that entire scene yet feels oddly removed from everything happening around it.

The movie was doing so good up until that point too.

It wasn't really a "twist" so much as a fake out. The movie did try to make it seem like there were no gods after all and it was all man's doing for a moment. I think that's why some people got disenchanted. Especially when the second act was so grounded in reality. But again, if you were paying attention you knew early on the mythology aspect would play an integral role and Ares would be making an appearance. Some of the CGI was shoddy, but I don't get people saying it devolved into BvS nonsense. I couldn't care less about the mindless BvS action, but I was engaged in the Ares fight, especially since that's when the two main character arcs climax. And without the climax of both being done so well, the entire movie falls apart. So that's why I find it a bit odd how much flack the third act gets. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It wasn't really a "twist" so much as a fake out. The movie did try to make it seem like there were no gods after all and it was all man's doing for a moment. I think that's why some people got disenchanted. Especially when the second act was so grounded in reality. But again, if you were paying attention you knew early on the mythology aspect would play an integral role and Ares would be making an appearance. Some of the CGI was shoddy, but I don't get people saying it devolved into BvS nonsense. I couldn't care less about the mindless BvS action, but I was engaged in the Ares fight, especially since that's when the two main character arcs climax. And without the climax of both being done so well, the entire movie falls apart. So that's why I find it a bit odd how much flack the third act gets. 

That's not what I was talking about.

It was the "this fop all the way back in England was Ares the whole time" twist.

I knew Ares was coming and the way the movie built him up through dialogue actually got me excited to see him. Then he showed up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The CGI was pretty awful. Having watched BvS last night, and then watching that third act, the CGI is one in the same in both films. The only difference is as you said, Wonder Woman grabs you in the film early on so you’re engaged when that fight scene happens. 

I still think the third act would have been better off with less CGI. I mean even if you want to keep the Ares fight in it, I get that but just tone down the CGI. Keep it small like you kept the rest of the movie. It was as if Patty Jenkins directed the whole movie and then the last twenty minutes Zach Snyder inserted himself into the director’s chair and told her to make wave for the 3rd act dark CGI fight scene that symbolizes the DCEU movies lol 

• Like 2

Just now, cookie said:

That's not what I was talking about.

It was the "this fop all the way back in England was Ares the whole time" twist.

I knew Ares was coming and the way the movie built him up through dialogue actually got me excited to see him. Then he showed up.

I mean yeah, it wasn't the most graceful way to do it since we barely had any development of Thewlis' character prior. Though I can't see how Ares being Ludendorff would have been better? Character was way too over the top and one dimensional for that to have been an interesting showdown that got Diana to come to the realization she does. 

26 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Shut the fuck up about Wonder Woman and go see the FANTASTIC AND AMAZING Mr. Rogers documentary that's out in theaters now

I've been wanting to check it out. How good was it?

• Like 1