Eric Atreides

Little Women | December 25 2019 | Sony | Greta Gerwig directs | 24th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

It should do great cause it's a great counter-programming. 

I think you're overstimating the appeal of Little Women. Yeah the book is a classic and the trailer doesn't look bad but it has eight adaptations,the 1994 movie is still very fresh in people's minds and it's near perfect also if it was that good Sony would show it at fall festivals to gain strong awards buzz. Tbh i don't think it will flop but it won't be a huge hit either. The only recent massive hit from Sony is Spider-Man Far From Home and Little Women will compete with Star Wars IX and Jumanji 2

1 hour ago, SMmadrid90 said:

I think you're overstimating the appeal of Little Women. Yeah the book is a classic and the trailer doesn't look bad but it has eight adaptations,the 1994 movie is still very fresh in people's minds and it's near perfect also if it was that good Sony would show it at fall festivals to gain strong awards buzz. Tbh i don't think it will flop but it won't be a huge hit either. The only recent massive hit from Sony is Spider-Man Far From Home and Little Women will compete with Star Wars IX and Jumanji 2

A twenty five year old film is not fresh in anyone's mind unless it's some undisputed classic of cinema.

2 hours ago, Ithil said:

A twenty five year old film is not fresh in anyone's mind unless it's some undisputed classic of cinema.

It's a classic and you can read the comments below the trailer online to see that many people are saying they love that version and this one can't be better

12 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

That makes no goddamn sense. The performances couldn’t be more different aside from the fact that they’re both period movies i guess. That’s like saying Ronan’s performance here looks like a knockoff of her work in Atonement. 

Moreso that she doesn't fit very well in period pieces. Her acting style is pretty modern and unless she is in a Marie Antoinette type movie, I just can't see her fitting in. Her acting in The Age of Innocence, if you ask me, was carried by the complex and layered script and the other period pieces I have seen her in (haven't completely watched the 94 version btw) don't really have that. I also hate The Crucible partially because of this (she's literally just playing a worse version of her character from The Age of Innocence in it). 

6 hours ago, SMmadrid90 said:

It's a classic and you can read the comments below the trailer online to see that many people are saying they love that version and this one can't be better

Ah yes, the comments section. Always the #1 determiner of a movie's fate that hasn't at all proven to be nothing but an echo chamber in the past.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:55 PM, Valonqar said:

being 100th remake really sunk A Star is Born. What a boxoffice, critical and awards flop. 

A Star is Born was a remake yes but it was a modern version, with one of the most popular singers as the lead actress and it was a really good movie that's why it had lots of acclaim in Venice,TIFF etc.

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

ASIB story was never era-defined. it's timeless. You can't tell LW story in modern times because some barriers that characters face do not exist now. But you can modernize it like how Aladdin modernized itself without having to be a modern-era version. 

They just did a modern version of Little Women last year: Marmee texts the girls, the military dad Skypes home from the front, Ryan from High School Musical was Laurie. It was a no1curr flop, but old stories like LW get revisted because people still relate to their themes however many years later. Girls still face huge pressure to be a certain kind of woman, to look a certain way, society/relatives can have old-fashioned ideas about how a "lady" should act and don't hesitate to tell you what a "disappointment" you are, guy/girl friendships can get derailed if one person develops feelings... 

And even when an old story is retold, the remake is often about the time in which it is made, even if the setting is still 100+ years ago. The themes a remake leans into tend to be the ones that mirror what's happening in the world at the moment. 

• Like 4

Oh my mighty ! This movie is gonna be the greatest movie of the year. It will be Oscar Best Picture. Just think about it, when was the last Oscar Best Picture that featured an all-women ensemble and empowered females at the same time?

It is about DAMN TIME.

A perfect storm is looming for this movie.

(Don't quote me when my prediction turns out to be true. Thanks)

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin

On 9/12/2019 at 12:34 AM, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Oh my mighty ! This movie is gonna be the greatest movie of the year. It will be Oscar Best Picture. Just think about it, when was the last Oscar Best Picture that featured an all-women ensemble and empowered females at the same time?

It is about DAMN TIME.

A perfect storm is looming for this movie.

(Don't quote me when my prediction turns out to be true. Thanks)

Until inevitable "they are too white" backlash. :P

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, ddddeeee said:

I think I'm probably too attached to the 1994 film for this to work for me. The only reaction that the trailer got from me was a desire to listen to Newman's score for that.

Hell, I think the 1933 Kate Hepburn film is still the best film version of the novel.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They just did a modern version of Little Women last year: Marmee texts the girls, the military dad Skypes home from the front, Ryan from High School Musical was Laurie. It was a no1curr flop, but old stories like LW get revisted because people still relate to their themes however many years later. Girls still face huge pressure to be a certain kind of woman, to look a certain way, society/relatives can have old-fashioned ideas about how a "lady" should act and don't hesitate to tell you what a "disappointment" you are, guy/girl friendships can get derailed if one person develops feelings... 

And even when an old story is retold, the remake is often about the time in which it is made, even if the setting is still 100+ years ago. The themes a remake leans into tend to be the ones that mirror what's happening in the world at the moment. 

That sounds pretty bad; IMHO take Little Women out of the Civil War background and you have just lost a lot of it's appeal.

Yes, you can update a classic successfully, "CLueless" updated Jane Austen's "Emma" successfully,but that is the exception; most attempts to update a classic fall flat on their face.

Add Alonso Cauron's "Great Expectations" to that very small group of films that manage to  move classic novels to modern times successfully.