Eric Duncan

Little Women | December 25 2019 | Sony | Greta Gerwig directs | 24th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

13 hours ago, Eric Laurence said:

Can’t wait for Greta Gerwig’s live-action Frozen!

Y'Know, while this is so very obviously an overture from Iger to Gerwig and we absolutely should expect her to be given a gun project sometime soon, I'd actually really rather love to see what she would do with a lesser profile property like The Rescuers or Black Cauldren. Or even a live action Fantasia.

As it is I suspect the one she is offered will actually be Hunchback.  

40 minutes ago, DAJK said:

My mom hated Chalamet in this (I disagree with her)

"Oh HE'S not going anywhere after this. They gave him his first role and he messed it up"

Uh... I got some news for you there mom

She knows little of her Duke? Perhaps the great mother prefers it this way...

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

My mom hated Chalamet in this (I disagree with her)

"Oh HE'S not going anywhere after this. They gave him his first role and he messed it up"

Uh... I got some news for you there mom

Your mother seems wise. Come December, it is very possible she will say TOLDJA!

• Haha 1

Just saw this. Having not read the book or seen any adaptations, this was my first experience of the story, and it was pretty damn good. The performances were great all round (although Laura Dern felt miscast, can't explain why), the flashback structure made for some great cuts, and it felt a lot shorter than it's run time. My only real negatives are that the last 5 minutes or so just all felt too meta, and I was slightly caught off-guard by the fact that both Laurie and the French guy actually end up with two of the sisters. Those two did combine for the best joke of the film though: "Who is this guy?"

After starring in a bunch of Baumbach's films, and being married to him, I wondered if I would find Gerwig's films as boring as his (don't know how this site feels about him, don't flame me), but I find this and Lady Bird a lot more enjoyable than any of his stuff.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:00 AM, Cappoedameron said:

Chamalet being cast guarantees this will flop. He is not a draw whatsoever and never has been. No idea why people continue to cast him, good actor but not a draw.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:06 AM, Cappoedameron said:

It's just facts look at his box office numbers. Best film performance financially was Interstellar and he wasn't even the big draw then at all.

tenor.gif?itemid=8315965

• Haha 1

So, little Women earned just 119 dollars on thursday, which means its run is officially over.

I finally got a chance to see the movie, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it, even though I was skeptical. 

The photograhy was lovely, and while I didn't get the same cozy atmosphere that the 1994 version exudes, it still felt heatwarming at times. The cast was good enough, and certainly helped the movie's success abroad (where Streep and Watson are big draws).

I thought Florence Pugh was miscast though: she didn't look young enough to portray child Amy (the scene in the school was comical, as she looked like a fully grown adult  in baby clothes, surrounded by children) and while she is a pretty girl, she just doesn't possess that high-class noble beauty that is required to portray adult Amy, a role that would  have perhaps been better filled by the likes of Mackenzie foy or someone striking like Samara Weaving. 

That being said, let's post the "final" numbers:

Via B.O.Mojo

DOMESTIC (52.5%)

$108,101,214

INTERNATIONAL (47.5%)

$97,819,021

WORLDWIDE

$205,920,235

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

https://deadline.com/2020/04/little-women-movie-profit-2019-greta-gerwig-sony-1202901744/

Sony made Little Women at an economical price of $40M, and the studio spent a total of $70M in global P&A; a third of the production cost was covered by Sony co-financing partner New Regency. The movie’s $208M in total revenues exceeded the movie’s global box office, and after $152M in global costs, generated a net profit of $56M.