Box Office Hit

Child's Play | June 21, 2019 | Orion Pictures

So basically Universal screwed the pooch not getting the rights to this lol. I love this genre and Chucky specifically, but I want this movie to smash first and foremost so it inspires major studio confidence in the genre and finally gives me my theatrically released blockbuster Puppet Master franchise.

Edited by PDC1987

5 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

So basically Universal screwed the pooch not getting the rights to this lol. I love this genre and Chucky specifically, but I want this movie to smash first and foremost so it inspires major studio confidence in the genre and finally gives me my theatrically released blockbuster Puppet Master franchise.

they always seem to delay these inevitably profitable movies.  I think it is a battle of rights over rights and little details until a major studio screws it up and releases it 3,000+ and sinks the profit chances.  Puppet Master is probably intouchable.  Every franchise probably has layers of value...  

Might as well open your own studio, make a horror film based on toys, and release it to 3,000 while the others go to streaming.  

maybe one can earn additional medals doing this?

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:39 PM, iHeartJames said:

wow what an amazing get. Mark Hamill is gonna kill that voice

No doubt his being the voice of the Joker in the DC animated universe is what got him this gig.

But Hamill is going to have to come up with an original voice for Chucky, he can't just recycle his Joker Voice. pretty confident though, Hamill is a smart enough actor to know this.

Yeah, that trailer took this for me from "Ho Hum, just another probably inferior remake of a Horror classic" to, "Wow, this looks pretty good".

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, Krissykins said:

Yeh I remember it from back in the day, it went bankrupt I think.

Who’s in charge of MGM now, distribution wise? Or are they just releasing themselves through this revived banner? 

Thats why I don’t think they’ll be able to get this to feel like an event, because it’s not one of the current majors.

At one time Orion was expected to become one of the major players in Hollywood but it just did not work out.

Orion was formed when in 1978, thefive  top managemens figures t of United Artists quit as a group in protest over what they though was meddeling by Transamerica, who owned UA. They formed a new independent stuidio ;since  there were five of them, they came up with the Orion name since Orion is a five star constellation. Given the massive success of UA under their management great things were expected, but they did not repeat their success and the company was moribund by the late 80's

Of course compared to what happened with United Artist in 1980,they were lucky. The management that took their place managed to wreck UA as an independent studio, most noticeably with "Heaven's Gate" which  is "Cleopatra" (1963) main completion for "The worst fiasco in Hollywood History" title. Cleo came close to wrecking Fox as a studio, UA management succeeded in wrecking the studio. In 1981 it got sold by Transamerica and merged ..under new management...with another once great buy now wrecked studio ..MGM..to form MGM/UA

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

This movie went from...ugh to on my radar. 

Same here. It looks like a really rare creature..a remake of a classic horror film that won't be an insult to the original.