Frozen

Midway | Nov 8 2019 | Roland Emmerich | Woody Harrelson, Mandy Moore, Luke Evans

I still think that the apparent totally ignoring of the Japanese side of the battle sort of makes this film pointless as far as actually understanding what went on at Midway. It was a battle as much lost by the Japanese as won by the Amereicans.

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

how does emmerich keep getting work

Particularly on Historical films.

A couple of his Sci Fi films are fun in a mindless sort of way, but when it comes to history the man is totally hopeless.

One of real areas of fascination in history is the Carrier War in the Pacific, so I am expecting the worst from this film.

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I still think that the apparent totally ignoring of the Japanese side of the battle sort of makes this film pointless as far as actually understanding what went on at Midway. It was a battle as much lost by the Japanese as won by the Amereicans.

But it's a movie, not a documentary or history lesson. It does not need to show all sides or all information to be worthwhile or good.

(That being said, sure, it'll probably be bad.)

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think it makes sense to show both sides in Pearl Harbour but not so much at Midway. 

A major reason Japan lost so badly was a number of bad decisions made by Admiral Nagumo.  Won't go into details..the facts are easy to find...and you need to understand those to understand why the battle turned out to be such a castrophe for the Japanese just as much as you need to understand Japanese moves at Pearl Harbor.

ANyway we are dealing with a director who thinks that Shakespeare was a hoax, so what can you expect?

Midway is a better Star Wars movie than The Last Jedi!!

No one understand special effects like Emmerich does. Welcome back, master!

Will see this at least three times - though I would have enjoyed the movie much more if the Americans got beaten to a pulp.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 hours ago, JB33 said:

So which will be the bigger disaster? This or T: DF?

Terminator has a much larger budget and this got zero advertising outside of a few commercials. So I’m guessing this comes close to making the money back. Terminator will not. 

So, Lionsgate is only the distributor - they'll get those fees.  Are they on the hook for Dom marketing?

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/roland-emmerich-midway-1203387268/

Roland Emmerich Just Made a $100 Million Indie Film. Will It Work?

“We shopped the movie around, and at that time we thought it would cost $125 million,” Emmerich recalls. “That was too much money for the studios.” 

Rather than call it quits, CAA Film Finance and Sales Group head Roeg Sutherland suggested that they go, well, rogue. Emmerich had every intention of making a studio picture. All of his films go up for auction among the majors, he tells Variety from a leather armchair in his Los Angeles compound. But he was surprised when the pitch for “Midway” landed with a thud. P

“We had first dabbled with some other producers, but at the end we realized we had to do this ourselves,” he says. “It was the first time my company, Centropolis, was single-handedly responsible for a movie like this.” 

The process pushed the director out of every comfort zone he’d ever known. He was forced to cut back on the number of shooting days and account for every dollar spent on the production. He also had to temper some of his ambitions for the battle sequences in order to strip $25 million from the budget.

“It was only $76 million in cash and the rest in equity,” Emmerich says with raised eyebrows. The production received close to $24 million from Chinese investors including Starlight Group, which funds Centropolis. The remainder was raised in foreign presales, with CAA and the international sales force AGC Studios, run by Stuart Ford, piecing together buyers. (The movie is also scheduled for release in China on Nov. 8.)