Frozen

Midway | Nov 8 2019 | Roland Emmerich | Woody Harrelson, Mandy Moore, Luke Evans

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Like showing women combat pilots in a World War 2 film would be ridiculous, because women were not permitted to be combat pilots in World War 2?

It's amazing how a certain portion of society nowadays literally do not give a shit about facts, and instead roll with their feelings or whatever. It's like the film Mary Queen of Scots. There absolutely would not have been a black man in Elizabeth's court but that doesn't matter. Diversity in the cast means more to people than presenting factual portrayals.

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

terrible & horrible wounds

mutilations that would leave you handicaped for life

being smashed to death,

burned alive

having limbs severed

being cut in half

agonizing for months and years in hospitals under excruciating pain.

drowning

suffocating to death

Amazing how they got all that in a PG-13 film. 

On 11/8/2019 at 9:38 PM, dudalb said:

I would laugh at The Futurist's ignorance of history if I did not think she is just trolling.

I don't think there is any ignorance of history there, women did have it good in those 1940's compared to the men.

I saw it last night, and, it is better history then Emmerich's previous Historical films.

It does give the Japanese side....though you would never tell that from the trailers.

Generally accurate, but where it gets away from reality is int he battle sequences where Emmerich just could not control his fondness for over the top CGI which just does not fit in with the subject matter.

Worst scene; the air battle in the  mountian canyons at Halsey's  raid on Roi and Namur in the Marshalls. Phony as hell, I guess it is some kind of tribute to the dogfight n the Grand Canyon in ID4.  What makes it really silly is there are No Mountians  on Roi and Namur, they are classic Coral Atolls. flat as a pancake, highest elevation maybe 20 feet.

Some clever touches, like John Ford filming the attack on Midway Island. That's the footage you see in all the documentaris. And Ford really was badly wounded shooting that footage. And two months before he won a best director Oscar for "How Green Was My Valley".

Overall not one of the great war films...I think the 1976 Midway film  was overall better...but much better then crap like "Anoyumous.

Glad to see Layton finally get his credit; more then any other individual he was responsible for the victory at Midway.

• Like 1

I love war films, especially WWII, but the reason I'm just not interested in this one is because of something @dudalb touched on: the trailers gave off a vibe of a CGI spectacle. Nope, not interested. If it's going to be WWII, I'd rather it be in the vein of Saving Private Ryan or Dunkirk.

Glad it's doing alright though.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

I love war films, especially WWII, but the reason I'm just not interested in this one is because of something @dudalb touched on: the trailers gave off a vibe of a CGI spectacle. Nope, not interested. If it's going to be WWII, I'd rather it be in the vein of Saving Private Ryan or Dunkirk.

Glad it's doing alright though.

Valid criticism to an extent, but I'd argue that unlike those films, this movie would be damn-near impossible to make without relying extensively on CGI (unless you wanted a gargantuan budget). A narrative that takes place pretty much entirely on the water either in giant ships or in the cockpit of airplanes (and not just one airplane like Hardy in Dunkirk) but dozens or hundreds of planed engaged in elaborate dogfights. Yea, I understand the reliance on CGI in this. It's pretty necessary. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Valid criticism to an extent, but I'd argue that unlike those films, this movie would be damn-near impossible to make without relying extensively on CGI (unless you wanted a gargantuan budget). A narrative that takes place pretty much entirely on the water either in giant ships or in the cockpit of airplanes (and not just one airplane like Hardy in Dunkirk) but dozens or hundreds of planed engaged in elaborate dogfights. Yea, I understand the reliance on CGI in this. It's pretty necessary. 

Good point.

Have you seen it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Good point.

Have you seen it?

Yes. It's good, but far from great. Poor editing kills it, as well as its decision to focus on SO MANY characters (and therefore the editing's inability to weave these narratives together coherently). I couldn't remember a single character's name because the movie has so little time to build each one of them because it jumps around too much through choppy editing between scenes. The individual scenes themselves though are well-constructed, and the movie does a god job at conveying the overall gravitas of the battle of Midway itself, even if it failed to get any emotional investment from me for any of the individual characters. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, DAJK said:

Yes. It's good, but far from great. Poor editing kills it, as well as its decision to focus on SO MANY characters (and therefore the editing's inability to weave these narratives together coherently). I couldn't remember a single character's name because the movie has so little time to build each one of them because it jumps around too much through choppy editing between scenes. The individual scenes themselves though are well-constructed, and the movie does a god job at conveying the overall gravitas of the battle of Midway itself, even if it failed to get any emotional investment from me for any of the individual characters. 

Good to know, thanks. 

Whenever poor editing kills a movie it's really a shame because that means there's a really good movie in there somewhere but it wasn't realized.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1