Nova

Wednesday Numbers from Asagard 2: JW2 11.4, I2 9.4, The Purge 9.2 (we think..cryptic post by AS2)

JW2 is on 297.7m. -30% on Thu and 51% weekend drop will give it 336m cume after a ~30m 3rd weekend. 64m away from 400. Post July 4th week drop could be significant but it will at least do 390 if not more imo. If it does 395+ then Uni will be hardpressed to push it to 400.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Someone tell me if this has a shot at 150M

Coming off 8.3 million weekend, it need 35 million more to get to 150.  That's a 4.2X.  I think that's a little much.  140 I could see though.

• Like 1

Also kind of surprised that DP2 dropped only 4%. I thought it would lose a ton of screens and have a significant theater drop on Wednesday because of The Purge opening. But I guess not. Oh well. It survived The First Purge only to be taken out by an Ant and a Wasp. 

3 hours ago, a2k said:

JW2 is on 297.7m. -30% on Thu and 51% weekend drop will give it 336m cume after a ~30m 3rd weekend. 64m away from 400. Post July 4th week drop could be significant but it will at least do 390 if not more imo. If it does 395+ then Uni will be hardpressed to push it to 400.

I'm thinking more like 420-430 now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

That's an...interesting sentence when out of context.

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

baumer is a frequent visitor of r/watchpeopledie

One of the reasons Friday the 13th was so enjoyable and revered by fans is because of the work by Tom Savini.  Sean Cunningham has often said that the MVP of the first movie was Tom Savini.  The Kevin Bacon spear through the neck was a 5 second scene that took them 2 weeks to prep.  And all of the prep paid off.  Audiences loved it.  This was obviously all before any kind of CGI, which is why, imo, the really good horror deaths in the 80's were so much better than any of the stuff we get today.  My point to all of this is that horror movies are just a fantasy like many other genres.  I love to see a really good death.  It adds so much intrigue to the film.

• Like 1

Ocean’s 8 would need another $30M to get to $150M. I don’t know if it has the gas to get there but who knows with the kind of drops it’s been having. 

Should be good for $140M though imo which would be a terrific result and near a 4.0x. Not bad for a movie that apparently nobody cares about. 

Just my theory, but I guess the purge could have one of the better drops on thursday. 
With the fireworks, late shows are surely affected and it's not a matinee movie. I always thought, opening it on ID4 wasn't the smartest move by the studio. Should have opened over $10m yesterday. 

54 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I figured with all the FK doom and gloom that I2 would have caught up and passed it by now. It's performing well.

I think JW is STILL catching well with the heads or tails first guess on walkups with the families & young people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@baumer I don't remember if it was the Tuesday thread or the tracking thread but yesterday there was someone trying to explain how JW2 stops at 350m.... so yes, we still have those people on the board. 

As for my repeated comments about todays drops, history on this forum reminds me that people react first to the numbers (the % +/-) and then only after cooling down consider the calender and other factors. Maybe this holiday will be different but considering the crazy OMG LOOK AT THE LEGS that have been going on due to the holiday, I doubt it. 

Next week when everything is off 50%+ week over week the complainers will be back. 

• ...wtf 1