AndyK

Rub & Tug | Now a TV Series. ScarJo found dead in a ditch! | Trans Rights are Human Rights

Didn't find a topic on this so here it is.

New Regency Wins ‘Rub & Tug’; Rupert Sanders Directs Scarlett Johansson In Joel Silver-Produced Tale Of Pittsburgh Massage Parlor Queen

https://deadline.com/2018/07/scarlett-johansson-pittsburgh-massage-parlor-crime-queen-rub-and-tug-new-regency-rupert-sandersn-tale-of-pittsburgh-massage-parlor-king-1202419182/

and immediately jumps into controversy by dumb twats that don't understand what the term "Acting" means.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/04/entertainment/scarlett-johansson-transgender-role-trnd/index.html

Edited by AndyK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hades said:

ScaJo is going to play Michael Jordan in a biopic at some stage isn't she

Well, she created this role for herself just like Margot created the I Tonya role.

It's not like she was offered it, It was created for her, by her. She can do whatever she damn pleases under her own steam.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

What a stupid thing to think. This isn't some fictional character. There are transgender actors. Hire one. If I created Black Panther, I wouldn't hire myself to play Black Panther. This is literally no different.

I guess there are actors with motor neuron disease.... and then theres Eddie Redmain.

Armie Hammer in "Call me by your Name" playing a gay character.

Actors like to take on challenges, why should they not be allowed to do whatever takes their fancy?

In this case, ther was no role without Scarjo, therefore she was not "replacing" anybody.

2 hours ago, Hades said:

ScaJo is going to play Michael Jordan in a biopic at some stage isn't she

The Scarlett Johansson Minstrel Players Presents: "The Colour Purple." Live on Broadway.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

What a stupid thing to think. This isn't some fictional character. There are transgender actors. Hire one. If I created Black Panther, I wouldn't hire myself to play Black Panther. This is literally no different.

Actor creating material to not play themselve or letting it go in the proces is a rather rare thing, but Whiterspoon did it with Gone Girl/Damon with Manchester by the sea, etc... so it obviously possible.

But do you think if she and Ruppert hired an virtually unknown for that lead that they would have find a somewhat major buyer like they did ? Or that they would have needed to go the I Tonya road, make the movie and then take their chance it will find someone once buyer see the movie ?

For a one would imagine, rather expensive mafia 70s period movie ? Would you have bought a period Rupert Sanders movie without a lead to be able to sales some international market in advance ?

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Actor creating material to not play themselve or letting it go in the proces is a rather rare thing, but Whiterspoon did it with Gone Girl/Damon with Manchester by the sea, etc... so it obviously possible.

But do you think if she and Ruppert hired an virtually unknown for that lead that they would have find a somewhat major buyer like they did? Or that they would have needed to go the I Tonya road, make the movie and then take their chance it will find someone once buyer see the movie?

For a one would imagine, rather expensive mafia 70s period movie? Would you have bought a period Rupert Sanders movie without a lead to be able to sales some international market in advance?

That's an entirely different issue! Whether the film would've been wanted by a studio/distributor is not the same as her playing a Trans Male. I doubt the film would've garnered a major partner if they would've cast a trans male actor in the lead role (even if ScarJo wrote herself a part in the film). But somebody would've picked it up.

She didn't "create" the character. The character is a real person.

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

I guess there are actors with motor neuron disease.... and then theres Eddie Redmain.

Armie Hammer in "Call me by your Name" playing a gay character.

Actors like to take on challenges, why should they not be allowed to do whatever takes their fancy?

In this case, ther was no role without Scarjo, therefore she was not "replacing" anybody.

Good job, you named two other actors who could've been replaced by other actors.

If a white actor wanted to do a serious black role, you'd be OK with that? You're implying you are, because it "took their fancy". We're at a point in society where we can start making up for past transgressions. Gay actors should play gay characters (and straight characters!). When you bring in diseases, I don't know how I feel about able bodied actors playing disabled characters. Most do it for awards attention, and it's disingenuous. I'm sure there are perfectly capable disabled actors who could use work as a disabled character. Every actor was an unknown at first.

There was a role without ScarJo.

When your argument is "the movie wouldn't make any money without ScarJo" but now the movie won't make any money with ScarJo, I honestly don't know what you're doing

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

That's an entirely different issue! Whether the film would've been wanted by a studio/distributor is not the same as her playing a Trans Male. I doubt the film would've garnered a major partner if they would've cast a trans male actor in the lead role (even if ScarJo wrote herself a part in the film). But somebody would've picked it up.

She didn't "create" the character. The character is a real person.

By creating material I am talking into turning a spec script into an actual movie (and not being cast by a studio), it is probably the good wording.

It is not but it is in the subject, one can frame the situation as she should have cast a trans actor.

But in the reality (outside of risking her own money) maybe the realistic option presented is more between not making the movie at all because no one pick up at a price high enough to make a period movie justice or to do it with a name role in the lead big enough to pre-sales intl markets (with I think no trans actor fitting that bill for the moment).

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

When your argument is "the movie wouldn't make any money without ScarJo" but now the movie won't make any money with ScarJo, I honestly don't know what you're doing

Movie does not need to make future movie to be made, they never know for movie like that if it will or not, but it often need to pre-sales / gather larger group of investor to be made and without a name actor the hypothetical read on the reality is that does not happen.

6 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Every actor was an unknown at first.

But rarely started in a certain type of movies lead role.

8 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Have y'all seen a picture of this real life person? ScarJo is wrong for the part even without this controversy. lol

When I saw the real Jean Marie Gill I thought they were a dead ringer for Lea Delaria.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Have y'all seen a picture of this real life person? ScarJo is wrong for the part even without this controversy. lol

If it is ever made, really wonder how they would pull it off (the iconic Johansson voice also)

3 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Scarjo is trash. First Ghost in the Shell and now this? Come on...

Well they tried to find an advanced cyborg war machine with an actors union card but couldn't find one.

• Like 1

I thought acting was about playing a character and that was done by actors. I don't know I guess maybe I must be mistaken.

This controversy is the epitome of ridiculous. 

• Like 2

I mean next thing you know there's going to be revisionist history and people are going to be pissed off at the casting of Brokeback Mountain.