WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

1 minute ago, POTUS said:

And the number 1 movie in a single market is Ant Man 2  

Dying to Survive is a 2018 Chinese comedy-drama film directed by Wen Muye in his feature film debut. The film is based on the real-life story of Lu Yong (陆勇), a Chinese leukemia patient who bought cheap but unproven cancer medicine from India for 1000 Chinese cancer sufferers in 2004.[2][3] Dying to Survive stars Xu Zheng in the lead role, who also co-produced the film with Ning Hao.

$143m OW

I'd like to see a comedy drama make into the top ten again. I think The Martian was the last one

Probably helped by the blackout period. Not trying to downplay, just giving context. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Probably helped by the blackout period. Not trying to downplay, just giving context. 

JW2, I2 and AiW still playing

Skyscraper opening on the 20th

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Fallen Kingdom is going over 400m. That would give it some very solid legs for a poorly reviewed movie

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, also was poorly reviewed (though that film’s reception was worse) and that hit over $400M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, POTUS said:

JW2, I2 and AiW still playing

Skyscraper opening on the 20th

Yes but all 3 had to have special extensions. Also Skyscraper is a "chinese" film hence the opening during July bit. It would be interesting to downgrade the #s relative to population. Would put things in a bit better perspective.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, also was poorly reviewed (though that film’s reception was worse) and that hit over $400M.

On the strength of an opening that was much larger than JW2 and of course #3 suffered for it (hidden by the 3d surcharges)

15 hours ago, narniadis said:

Yes but all 3 had to have special extensions. Also Skyscraper is a "chinese" film hence the opening during July bit. It would be interesting to downgrade the #s relative to population. Would put things in a bit better perspective.  

cant go by population. got to go by money available to spend. GDP in china is lower than Domestic.  The weekend is larger based on a smaller economy and annual BO. India has the same population but they don't have movies any where near 100m OW because their GDP is a fifth.

Admissions however are much higher due to population albeit at lower prices

China ave ticket price $5

India $1

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

It seems that AATW didn’t really move American families. Bland , at the lower end of estimates ,debut, didn’t seem like it worked as a great kiddie-friendly family film and the addition of a female character did shit for the film, I doubt it would have done worse without the wasp.

On paper it was the perfect summer film, but obviously marvel has done something a bit wrong with the franchise from the start, maybe making it too comical and kiddie friendly, cause unlike some people I find the ant man concept with the visual effects and scenes it can provide quite lucrative. 

Anyway I hope marvel can learn a lesson and don’t attempt to make the fantastic four too comedic and family-friendly, when they get their rights. 

Or again opening after I2 and JW2 both over $150M OWs mind you, which targeted both of its main demos and despite not hitting $100M OW (which would’ve have to jump almost more than almost any other MCU movie to sequel) had an excellent sequel jump nonetheless.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 3

Yea pretty bland weekend outside of I2 fantastic hold. 

BP didn't even get a fuckin expansion.  My box office OCD is tired of looking at that 699 million eyesore. 

Edited by Moviefanatic
  • Like 5

I am getting so tired of this forum putting unrealistic expectations on films. Seriously yall get a grip. Ant Man was never doing 100m tracking never suggested it and precedent always suggested a 90m OW at the top.... some of yall poison the whole well by allowing your outlandish desires (for both booms and busts) to run amuck and it becomes hard for the rest of us to appreciate a good performance due to sorting out all the negativity. AM2 got both an IW and a sequel boost. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

Yea pretty bland weekend outside of I2 fantastic hold. 

BP didn't even get a fuckin expansion.  My box office OCD is tired of looking at that 699 million eyesore. 

WTF is Disney stalling for? They could've given BP an extra 75 screens and it would've topped $700M this weekend!😪

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I am getting so tired of this forum putting unrealistic expectations on films. Seriously yall get a grip. Ant Man was never doing 100m tracking never suggested it and precedent always suggested a 90m OW at the top.... some of yall poison the whole well by allowing your outlandish desires (for both booms and busts) to run amuck and it becomes hard for the rest of us to appreciate a good performance due to sorting out all the negativity. AM2 got both an IW and a sequel boost. 

Image result for amen gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1