WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

Everyones getting rallied up already but I dunno if it actually has enough steam for 100 with anything less than 13, cause 6PM previews + 4th of July week effect. That being said, if fucking Ant-Man 2 nearly doubles the original's opening and hits 100, then holy fucking shit, what will it take to stop the Marvel train.... holy mother of God.

Though 85-90+ is where I see it atm.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

This is very family friendly. My theater looked very kiddy, almost as much as Incredibles 2 Thursday.

yes, until they see the movie and it's not friendly to anyone

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yes, until they see the movie and it's not friendly to anyone

Either you watch every single marvel movie opening Thursday’s and come on here to talk about them (which mean you actually like these movies) or you don’t watch them and come here to troll and instigate because you have nothing better to do. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Everyones getting rallied up already but I dunno if it actually has enough steam for 100 with anything less than 13, cause 6PM previews + 4th of July week effect. That being said, if fucking Ant-Man 2 nearly doubles the original's opening and hits 100, then holy fucking shit, what will it take to stop the Marvel train.... holy mother of God.

Though 85-90+ is where I see it atm.

This has all the ingredients to be a huge hit though. It's the first MCU sequel after the event that was IW (which is still fresh in everyone's mind), and it's the first solo sequel after BP and Thor:Ragnarok which were both hits and crowd pleasers. With the good reviews on RT it has literally everything going for it right now, so I'd be more surprised if it underperformed vs. over performed.

Edited by McNerdy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

This has all the ingredients to be a huge hit though. It's the first MCU sequel after the event that was IW (which is still fresh in everyone's mind), and it's the first solo sequel after BP and Thor:Ragnarok which were both hits and crowd pleasers. With the good reviews on RT it has literally everything going for it right now, so I'd be more surprised if it underperformed vs. over performed.

Is 85-90+ an underperformance and not a huge hit? It's not like this isn't the least generally anticipated Marvel film since at least Doctor Strange and a sequel to a film that only opened to 57M at the end of Phase 2. Whatever happens, it's gonna have a hugely sized bump from the 1st one and more than likely above expectations. Context, folks.

20 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Either you watch every single marvel movie opening Thursday’s and come on here to talk about them (which mean you actually like these movies) or you don’t watch them and come here to troll and instigate because you have nothing better to do. 

I haven't really spared anytime or thought for this film I was just dropping by and leaving. Not an interesting weekend for me!

32 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Is 85-90+ an underperformance and not a huge hit? It's not like this isn't the least generally anticipated Marvel film since at least Doctor Strange and a sequel to a film that only opened to 57M at the end of Phase 2. Whatever happens, it's gonna have a hugely sized bump from the 1st one and more than likely above expectations. Context, folks.

Uhm, I didn't say 85-90 was an underperformance...? I was making a comment in general.

18 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

Uhm, I didn't say 85-90 was an underperformance...? I was making a comment in general.

That's the impression I got considering you quoted me saying that it was likelier to hit those numbers than 100 but hot damn if it did hit 100, and started talking about how this movie's gonna be a huge hit. Like, sure, it makes sense that it would be a massive hit given other Marvel sequels, the original's wom and Infinity War effect, but 100+ would still be surprising to me considering that AM1 only opened to 57M. It would be nearly double that, and I believe the biggest % bump from original to sequel to date for the MCU. That's why I made that comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

No need to actually watch them, just have to check if it was directed by Cameron or not.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, McNerdy said:

I get the sense that Ant-Man is a character that, even with where Marvel is today, a lot of people have a hard time taking seriously (even within the context of the more comedic approach that these movies have taken). This sequel also felt a lot smaller in scope from a marketing standpoint compared to the last several MCU flicks and didn't feel like something part of the broadly-expanded canvas (then again, neither did Guardians 2 and that increased from the first Guardians but that movie was a much bigger deal than the original Ant-Man was).

35 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

If fucking Ant-Man manages to have a $100M opening then we can say for sure that floor for all future MCU films is $100M 

Well I think it would have been more surprising if this was the first Ant-Man film and he wasn’t already in Civil War lol.

58 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I get the sense that Ant-Man is a character that, even with where Marvel is today, a lot of people have a hard time taking seriously (even within the context of the more comedic approach that these movies have taken). This sequel also felt a lot smaller in scope from a marketing standpoint compared to the last several MCU flicks and didn't feel like something part of the broadly-expanded canvas (then again, neither did Guardians 2 and that increased from the first Guardians but that movie was a much bigger deal than the original Ant-Man was).

I get what you're saying, but imo an ant-man isn't really sillier than a talking tree or a talking raccoon. I agree though that it feels smaller, but that could also give it an advantage. We'll see  though :)

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I haven't really spared anytime or thought for this film I was just dropping by and leaving. Not an interesting weekend for me!

Back to letting Cameron fill my asshole 

Right now, given what we know, $85M+ seems locked. But, anything else, we'll have to wait to see more numbers. Spidey last summer did $51M OD and finished just over $117M for the OW. Looking forward to seeing that revised Thursday preview number. I think $13M+ is necessary for a $100M OW to happen.

• Like 1