WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

6 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Looks like the WC has affected Antman's OW a bit here, was totally expecting around 100M+. 

But again why?? You were asking the film to do something that wasn't even in the realm of possibility (that % increase from the first was would have been HUGE on top of it already being big via the 80+ debut.) The pre-sales didn't indicate 100m, the tracking didn't indicate 100m, and past Marvel history didn't indicate 100m. It baffles me that some of y'all not only thought it had that potential but staked your predictions on it. Granted, once in a blue moon the crazy ass prediction is right, but the data doesn't generally skew that frequently and Marvel is not Jurassic World in the walk-ups department.

Earlier this week I tried to discuss how 80m was a good goal and over the low end of tracking (75m) and most of the tracking folks were still going nuts with boom/bust (the presales / the MT % / etc).... as I said, this forum doens't know how to appreciate Good numbers for what they are.

• Like 7

Black Panther isn't hitting 700 is it. Still 150k away and it's only in 52 theaters. That's so disappointing, I won't be able to look at the 2018 chart anymore as that 699.8 is just destroying my ocd.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Looks like the WC has affected Antman's OW a bit here, was totally expecting around 100M+. 

The World Cup has had a negligible impact on box office sales in the US. Most WC games over by the middle of the afternoon on the east coast and early afternoon on the west coast. Also, the US team is not participating this year so interest from casual fans is limited.

Any negative effect, of the WC is almost assuredly canceled by the sweltering heat wave across much of the US which is sending people into theaters.

I2 ain't missing $600M with that Fri number, $500K increase from estimate 

The question is can it pass TA? The supposed to be peak of CBM can be surpassed 3 times this year  :ohmygod:

Edited by bladels
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Nah it had all the potential in the world for an over 100 million opening, which isn’t even outlandish or anything by today’s standards. Great marketing, amazing brand power (MCU) , great cast of both “young” and veteran actors covering every demographic and again it is my own personal opinion that the whole ant man concept , unlike what other people think, has big potential with today’s technology being used in films.

So name the last film to double it's opening weekend from the previous film.  I know they are out there, and I'm not going to look them up, but my guess is most of them are films that were modest hits (grossed 75 mill or less in the first film) that went on to have a big HV discovery and then the next film blew up.  I don't think there are many films that did well in their first chapter that went on to double the opening weekend in the next one.  AMATW is going to open to about 50% more than the last.  That's pretty damn good.  

You say you understand the box office but from time to time, you post things that indicate otherwise.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

But again why?? You were asking the film to do something that wasn't even in the realm of possibility (that % increase from the first was would have been HUGE on top of it already being big via the 80+ debut.) The pre-sales didn't indicate 100m, the tracking didn't indicate 100m, and past Marvel history didn't indicate 100m. It baffles me that some of y'all not only thought it had that potential but staked your predictions on it. Granted, once in a blue moon the crazy ass prediction is right, but the data doesn't generally skew that frequently and Marvel is not Jurassic World in the walk-ups department.

Earlier this week I tried to discuss how 80m was a good goal and over the low end of tracking (75m) and most of the tracking folks were still going nuts with boom/bust (the presales / the MT % / etc).... as I said, this forum doens't know how to appreciate Good numbers for what they are.

Just forget it, you aren't going to convince the people who want to be disappointed. 

59 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I saw this yesterday :gold: 

It is bottom of the barrel shit, especially compared with the beauty that is the steelbook of the first,

20 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Black Panther isn't hitting 700 is it. Still 150k away and it's only in 52 theaters. That's so disappointing, I won't be able to look at the 2018 chart anymore as that 699.8 is just destroying my ocd.

I will send angry emails to Disney until the end of times if they elave it at 699.8M or 699.9M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Said it a couple months ago - even using the largest post-Avengers 1 sequel jump, Captain America 2, the highest you could project Ant-Man 2 using that math was 84m OW ish. This number is great. Ant-Man wasn't even in Infinity War, and also, it is freaking Ant-Man! The fact that an an Ant-Man movie is doing 80/230+ is silly and insane. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Said it a couple months ago - even using the largest post-Avengers 1 sequel jump, Captain America 2, the highest you could project Ant-Man 2 using that math was 84m OW ish. This number is great. Ant-Man wasn't even in Infinity War, and also, it is freaking Ant-Man! The fact that an an Ant-Man movie is doing 80/230+ is silly and insane. 

It's Marvel, produced by Feige, he was in Civil War.  Lets not get carried away and say it's insane.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

It's Marvel, produced by Feige, he was in Civil War.  Lets not get carried away and say it's insane.

The fact that this silly little episodic Ant-Man movie (I like Ant-Man, btw - not an insult) is doing these kind of numbers will always be a little crazy to me. I never bought 100m+ OW. This number is terrific and I think it's crazy for others to call it bad, at minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Nah it had all the potential in the world for an over 100 million opening, which isn’t even outlandish or anything by today’s standards. Great marketing, amazing brand power (MCU) , great cast of both “young” and veteran actors covering every demographic and again it is my own personal opinion that the whole ant man concept , unlike what other people think, has big potential with today’s technology being used in films.

........it's a sequel to Ant-Man. You know what did AM1 open to? 57 million. The 2nd lowest OW for a Marvel movie ever. It had great legs, but it only made around Thor 1 and Cap 1 numbers total for DOM. And the character of Ant-Man didn't even appear in Infinity War, so it's hard to have an IW awareness bump; the one big crossover he appeared in was Civil War, and he wasn't given that much to do other than be a comedy cameo in the airport setpiece. Thor's 1st sequel did 85M vs the original's 65M opening, and Cap's 1st sequel opened to 95M vs the original's 65 as well. AM2 was hardly gonna get a much bigger bump than any of these or Guardians V2 (146 vs 94). 

Does every single MCU movie have to open over 100 million to be considered a success now? Do you even understand the word "context", mate, or do you set up outlandish expectations for the MCU just because you're a huge fan and the movies HAVE to meet your expectations or they're disappointments out of "fanboy tough love"?

• Like 2

Yikes, unless Sat increase can surprise this is going to have a real awful preview multi.           

Not flopping or anything, but pretty dissapointing to be under 85.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Disbelief 1

I love how no one is bothering to @ me over and over or talk about how I “disappeared” now that it’s clear I2 is very likely to hit 600+. ;)

Anyways, decent start for AMATW. On the low end of what I expected, but I also suspect it could play similarly to the first after seeing it. Saw it with family and it’s a perfectly enjoyable summer flick that should be amicable to most everyone and doesn’t rely much on MCU knowledge. Multi should be strong. 

• Like 3

Again, I don’t get how AMATW opening to $82M+ is disappointing especially when it’s a excellent jump and presales sure as hell dictated this wasn’t going over $100M OW. Hell imo it could’ve gone lower considering the back to back powerhouses of I2 and JWFK.

• Like 3

Yeah, so I guess Disney didn’t give BP doubles with AMATW after all. Been saying for weeks they don’t care about the 700. If they did they could’ve waited literally one week longer for home media release and that would have been more than enough to get it there. Really annoying.