WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

To be clear: Ant-Man’s opening weekend was 57.225. Doubling that would have been 114.45, which 0 people are disappointed about this coming in under. Nardianis’s couple post about how expecting it to double would be stupid are true, but also a straw man. Hoping it would do 90+ is not even in the same ballpark as doubling.

A 50% increase would be 85.84. Anything below that is mathematically closer to flat (+0%) than it is to doubling (+100%).

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

To be clear: Ant-Man’s opening weekend was 57.225. Doubling that would have been 114.45, which 0 people are disappointed about this coming in under. Nardianis’s couple post about how expecting it to double would be stupid are true, but also a straw man. Hoping it would do 90+ is not even in the same ballpark as doubling.

A 50% increase would be 85.84. Anything below that is mathematically closer to flat (+0%) than it is to doubling (+100%).

To be frank the whole argument boils down to those disappointed it didn't get to 100m - still not doubling.

90m was also a pipe dream based on the data, but a much more obtainable one.

However, I am done on this subject - rational facts cannot make headway with those who are bent on being emotional about it. (I chuckled at your "flat" comment btw, as it was quite true.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

There is the long wait sequel with inflation/add 3d/add one more day of box office in the weekend that came close, Dory did 135m from 70m.

Those who did not already named:

Incredible just did it 182 from 70.4m

Batman went from 48m in 2006 (big at the time) to 158m in 2008.

Shrek from 42 to 108.

Twilight went from 70 to 142.

Almost did

Hangover 45 to 86

First Ant-Man movie was not a phenomenom (legs, home video relative to it's box office, book sales after the movie launched) anywhere close to any of the above obviously.

What was Twillight's legs?

Incredible's was nothing mindblowing either.

Disney were sensible to delay Ant-Man in the U.K. because it would have been deflated by the weather and the World Cup, I think Incredibles 2 was also a priority for them as well

I imagine Disney are pleased with AMATW as it always going to be a palate cleanser and a smaller film compared to the juggernauts that were BP and AIW. I wouldn’t be shocked if AM3 is green lit although I think it won’t come until 2021 or 2022 depending on Marvel’s priorities 

Much as I might be "disappointed" about 82, it's definitely more than enough for a sequel. All the movies that had part 1s near AM1 and 2s near AM&tW easily got sequels (which did 120+/300+). 

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Agreed with this and it's not even that close.  It's great to see an MCU movie that has nothing on its mind but delivering a film that's FUN.

which marvel movies... are not doing this?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Also guys let’s remember that AMATW, a freaking Ant-Man movie, is opening on par with Logan, a sendoff movie for one of the most iconic superhero’s of all time, and one of the best, if not THE best CBM ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Agreed with this and it's not even that close.  It's great to see an MCU movie that has nothing on its mind but delivering a film that's FUN.

You’ve literally described every single MCU movie.... :thinking:

• Like 1