Box Office Hit

21 Bridges | Nov 22 2019 | STX | Chadwick Boseman

27 minutes ago, Alli said:

I'd say it's for the best considering it would've gotten lost in the summer, but now it's saddled between Ad Astra and Joker/The Woman in the Window so dunno.

July is super barren, in terms of quantity of wide releases. It looks like studios are basically giving the whole month to Sony (Spider-Man: Far From Home) and Disney (The Lion King). 

July will be those films' stomping grounds, simply put. I mean, those two movies would rule the month any way you slice it, but it would be nice if there were just more films to see and discuss, period.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

July is super barren, in terms of quantity of wide releases. It looks like studios are basically giving the whole month to Sony (Spider-Man: Far From Home) and Disney (The Lion King). 

July will be those films' stomping grounds, simply put. I mean, those two movies would rule the month any way you slice it, but it would be nice if there were just more films to see and discuss, period.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is arguably the biggest movie aimed strictly at adults this season so if the reviews are good (we'll find out soon) it could make serious bank as we head into the dog days of summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is arguably the biggest movie aimed strictly at adults this season so if the reviews are good (we'll find out soon) it could make serious bank as we head into the dog days of summer.

True. It should play well into August as Fallout did last year, though not that big obviously.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:01 PM, filmlover said:

I'd say it's for the best considering it would've gotten lost in the summer, but now it's saddled between Ad Astra and Joker/The Woman in the Window so dunno.

I think with the word of really bad preview reactions Woman In The Window is a threat to nobody.

If it's as good as the trailer indicates it will be, it will find an audience.

That's the problem with schedulding a movie. You pick what looks like a great opening date, then some other studio comes and messes it up.

My hope for this film is that many of those fans who went to the Russos conference are willing to support it in theaters because of how much they are fans of the Russos, even if they're just producing.

The trailer has played in front of quite a few movies, and Chadwick Boseman is a recognizeable actor, so my hope is that this film finds a sizeable audience. I'm fairly excited for it, myself.

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

My hope for this film is that many of those fans who went to the Russos conference are willing to support it in theaters because of how much they are fans of the Russos, even if they're just producing.

The trailer has played in front of quite a few movies, and Chadwick Boseman is a recognizeable actor, so my hope is that this film finds a sizeable audience. I'm fairly excited for it, myself.

Agreed. Even if you weren't there at the conference but loved The Russos' and Chadwick's contributions to the MCU, go see this movie. Support their other projects.

I for one think it looks awesome and will be there opening weekend!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

FFS. I wonder if Rhythm Section is moving. Probably. We've gotten nothing on it so far. 

Either way, that day is getting crowded now with 5 wide releases (Frozen II21 BridgesAll RiseA Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood, and Rhythm Section). November in general is actually now crowded with wide releases. Meanwhile, September is starting to look like July: barren as fuck.

• Like 3

This looked like a lame Mark Wahlberg film from the trailers, but it's gotta be really lame to justify these delays.

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Meanwhile, September is starting to look like July: barren as fuck.

Scared of Brad Astra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Unless there's something wrong with post-production, this is asinine.

It's not necessarily post-production, but likely due to STX's money troubles. The last remaining films from Relativity Media and TWC got delayed again and again because those studios were on the verge or had hit bankruptcy. Recent articles have mentioned STX is having a lot of those issues.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's not necessarily post-production, but likely due to STX's money troubles. The last remaining films from Relativity Media and TWC got delayed again and again because those studios were on the verge or had hit bankruptcy. Recent articles have mentioned STX is having a lot of those issues.

I never thought I'd say that I want Hustlers to be a hit, but hopefully that's a nice sleeper hit for them, because that success could provide the funds STX needs to give 21 Bridges the proper marketing push it looks like it deserves. Many of us agree that 21 Bridges looks like a pretty good film, so it'd be disappointing if the film never released.

I almost wonder if STX has the Oscars in the back of their mind. I doubt that's the case.

https://www.thewrap.com/chadwick-boseman-cop-thriller-21-bridges-pushed-back-2-months-at-stx/

Assorted take-aways from the article:

STX is moving the film out of the way of Warner Bros.’s upcoming “The Joker” movie, which opens the weekend of October 4, and likes “21 Bridges'” chances as counterprogramming to Disney’s “Frozen 2,” which will also hit theaters November 22.

“We think this move is the best thing for the movie and we believe the 22nd is a great date that allows this film to play into the pre-Thanksgiving holiday, and it becomes true counterprogramming,” an STX spokesman told TheWrap.

Finding a weekend for a non-blockbuster, franchise, superhero film this year has proven nearly impossible. And there’s a possibility that crossover between audiences interested in Boseman and those anticipating Joaquin Phoenix’s “The Joker” could have hampered the box office of “21 Bridges.”

The film would have also needed to contend with Will Smith’s “Gemini Man” two weeks after its debut.

TheWrap reported just over a week ago that STX was in discussions with a Saudi Arabia investment fund as the five-year-old studio seeks what sources say is a much need infusion of capital following its recent string of box office disappointments and the scuttling of a planned IPO last fall.

“We are fortunate to have the resources, strategic vision and support of our Board and financial partners as we raise additional capital to finance potential acquisitions and other opportunities to significantly expand the company’s capabilities,” STX chief financial officer Andy Warren told TheWrap at the time. “It’s unfortunate that those who are unaware of our actual plans would be trying so hard to dismiss them.”

Counter programming Is always risky. Yeah, it can pay off but it can fall flat on it's face as well.

And Gemini Man might have dried up the demand  for this kind of action thriller when 22 Bridges opens, as the article points out.

And you have to wonder if the film is not as good as we had hoped. yeah, it has a great trailer, but then there are editors in Hollywood who specialize in cutting trailers that make a mediocre or out and out bad film look good.

Thanksgiving just does not seem like a good time for this kind of thriller,even if you are counterprogramming.

And STX c annot afford to mess this up. They are on the verge of going under after a long string of fails.

We are fortunate to have the resources, strategic vision and support of our Board and financial partners as we raise additional capital to finance potential acquisitions and other opportunities to significantly expand the company’s capabilities,”

When the execs start saying things like this, that is when, if you are a stockholder, you begin to think about unloading your stock...

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1