Box Office Hit

21 Bridges | Nov 22 2019 | STX | Chadwick Boseman

On 10/29/2019 at 12:04 PM, SLAM! said:

I'm honestly really wanting to see this. I hope it finds a bit of an audience. It doesn't feel like a flop to me.

It does look pretty good, doesn't it? I'm really interested to see Boseman's performance in this. He was criticized for a less than stellar performance in his million dollar role as Black Panther in his solo movie so I'm curious about what he's got in store outside of Marvel Studios productions.

• Like 2

Going to be slaughtered by Knives Out; both are competing for the same audience and for the same "counterprogramming to Frozen 2" slot, and with the reception and buzz Knives Out is getting  I don't think this stands much of a a chance.

Edited by dudalb

On 11/15/2019 at 12:26 PM, dudalb said:

Going to be slaughtered by Knives Out; both are competing for the same audience and for the same "counterprogramming to Frozen 2" slot, and with the reception and buzz Knives Out is getting  I don't think this stands much of a a chance.

I don't think this one ever had a prayer of winning the counterprogramming battle. With all due respect to these guys, this movie is relying on the Russos' and Boseman's names to sell it because the concept is pretty basic.

I say that as someone who thinks it looks pretty good and wants to see it. I'd like to support the Russos in particular by paying for tickets to their other projects (I know they're only producing).

• Like 1

That's the problem; 21 Bridges looks pretty good, Knives Out looks  great.

And to a degree,the BOseman appeal is sort of matched by this being Chris Evans first big post Captain America role.

I agree that 21 Bridges looks like a decent thriller, but it is opening..in the US..against a thriller that looks a lot more then decent.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, filmlover said:

With the way the box office works these days I could see this pulling a mid-single digits opening.

Ugh, I hope not. I'm ready for movies outside the obvious ones to actually SURPRISE and not disappoint.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, JB33 said:

Ugh, I hope not. I'm ready for movies outside the obvious ones to actually SURPRISE and not disappoint.

Hate to say it but 21 bridges does not look particualry original. Iit's not like an awful lot of crime thrillers don't get made.

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Hate to say it but 21 bridges does not look particualry original. Iit's not like an awful lot of crime thrillers don't get made.

Oh, don't I know it. I'm just hoping it's GOOD enough that the quality can cancel out the lack of originality. Like I said, all for the sake of positive stories at the box office. I don't even care what they are (besides the obvious ones).

Well, hopes dashed. Middling were the reviews and middling was the box office; this came in 4th this past weekend with a $9.25M debut. This one clearly didn't have much more to offer than T'Challa being a cop and the Russos as producers. Did anyone see it yet?