GRADE IT  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Set It Up is marvelous. Brilliantly taking the 90s romcom formula to the modern day, it’s impossible to watch this without a smile on your face for the majority of its runtime. Deutch and Powell are some of their generation’s most underrated actors and their charisma and chemistry with each other could power ten more of these movies in the vein of Hanks and Ryan.

The script is witty and sweet, never sacrificing characters for a cheap joke. It might follow the tropes, but tropes exist for a reason, and when they’re as well-executed as they are in this, who cares? The direction is rock solid and the whole movie does just feel like an updated romcom in the best way.

Set It Up avoids the pitfalls of the modern romcom in a very clear way. There is no romance, comedy or drama, without sincerity. This film believes in the seemingly inconsequential story being told as being incredibly important, with all the humor and fluff that the romcom allows. I’d love so many more modern romcoms in this vein, but for now, Set It Up is excellent thanks to the clever characters, delightful script, and charismatic actors. A pure joy. B+

• Like 1

Set it Up is a really brilliant movie that does absolutely nothing brilliant (on the surface).  It takes a stereotypical romcom plot, adds no real twist or majorly deconstructive element, but actually manages to hit all the beats to make you laugh and ‘feel’ for the romance.

It’s weird how it manages to use what’s been eye rolling and tedious in so many Sandra Bullock movies and make it a joy to watch through.  The execution is top notch, the jokes are funny (with the Titus cameo being the standout), the characters are likeable and feel human, and there’s no part that doesn’t feel enjoyable to watch.

It’s a lean movie that keeps the focus on the main two characters and it’s a real bit of fun.  A-

”I don’t want to wanna be an asshole.”

Still remarkably charming and really funny. Destined to be one of the year’s most feel-good movies and a romcom I can see myself returning to for years to come. Love it. A-